Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

wyldryce wrote:
Could this be our magic bullet?

Unsure about the battery back up time, but it's super small, and doesn't require a SIM card at all. Seems to be a nice, small viable alternative to SPOT with a few extra features? Plus, the price could be great too...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gotele-off-grid-tracking-device-for-any-adventure#/

It's always the fine print that gets you:
NO SERVICE REQUIRED - Text and track goTele users within 3.1 miles without data, sim card or WiFi.
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

As I understand it, that is only to communicate from one device to another, i.e. sending text messages to separated members of a hiking group. It says it has geo-fence capability. Since I can't seem to really find specs on it, it's hard to know for sure. This particular usage of the device, seems to be outside of its design intent, but may still be possible?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

wyldryce wrote:
Since I can't seem to really find specs on it, it's hard to know for sure.

That's because it doesn't exist yet. This is a funding campaign, not an ad for a product.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Yeah, understood, though I have witnessed plenty of products in beta or greater development go through a funding site and have some specs listed. It certainly has a capabilities grid proudly displayed in relation to other similar products, such as SPOT. Just throwing it out there for investigation...it's not like there are a plethora of other fantastic options out there that aren't GSM-sim based.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

wyldryce wrote:
Just throwing it out there for investigation...it's not like there are a plethora of other fantastic options out there that aren't GSM-sim based.

I get that. I could have chosen GSM or CDMA for the unit I bought but GSM was the better option in this area. There really aren't a lot of options, period. The Spot or a DIY option with these little trackers is pretty much it. Anything is better than nothing at all, I think. The Spot is definitely the leader.

This is a niche market, for sure. Though having had this in place, I wish every car had something like it. I have had a car stolen before. Seems to me insurers would be interested in something like this if there were enough to invoke herd immunity: if 90% of the vehicles out there had a tracker, I would expect car thefts to drop like a rock. And since the proceeds of car thefts are how other crimes are often financed, anything that cuts into that seems like a good idea.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
wyldryce wrote:
Just throwing it out there for investigation...it's not like there are a plethora of other fantastic options out there that aren't GSM-sim based.

I get that. I could have chosen GSM or CDMA for the unit I bought but GSM was the better option in this area. There really aren't a lot of options, period. The Spot or a DIY option with these little trackers is pretty much it. Anything is better than nothing at all, I think. The Spot is definitely the leader.

This is a niche market, for sure. Though having had this in place, I wish every car had something like it. I have had a car stolen before. Seems to me insurers would be interested in something like this if there were enough to invoke herd immunity: if 90% of the vehicles out there had a tracker, I would expect car thefts to drop like a rock. And since the proceeds of car thefts are how other crimes are often financed, anything that cuts into that seems like a good idea.

If the insurance companies picked up on it you can bet the professional thieves would be working on or have a way around it.
I would rather have an "unknown or unpopular" option rather than giving the thief a heads up on a way to defeat it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

If the insurance companies picked up on it you can bet the professional thieves would be working on or have a way around it.
I would rather have an "unknown or unpopular" option rather than giving the thief a heads up on a way to defeat it.

I suspect if the insurance companies and manufacturers were determined to do something, they could make these things much harder to defeat.

All we can really hope to do is slow them down and perhaps find a way to get the vehicle back. If someone wants your rig they'll have it. My point is that if car thieving became a lot less rewarding/a lot more risky, we might see less of it and a dip in the crimes that car theft is used to capitalize. I'm sure a professional thief could find my kill switch and tracker very quickly but the average meth head? They might not know to look for one. My local PD was giving away the Club™ for this very purpose — to break the cycle of stolen cars as a means to commit other crimes.

It's an arms race. If I used all the features that came with mine, vibration sensor, electric and fuel shutoffs, power door lock controls, as well as the tracking and alerting, I lower the odds of losing my rig. The risk is still there. But this tilts the odds my way.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Steve M. wrote:

I suspect if the insurance companies and manufacturers were determined to do something, they could make these things much harder to defeat.

All we can really hope to do is slow them down and perhaps find a way to get the vehicle back. If someone wants your rig they'll have it. My point is that if car thieving became a lot less rewarding/a lot more risky, we might see less of it and a dip in the crimes that car theft is used to capitalize. I'm sure a professional thief could find my kill switch and tracker very quickly but the average meth head? They might not know to look for one. My local PD was giving away the Club™ for this very purpose — to break the cycle of stolen cars as a means to commit other crimes.

Your right. I was more referring to the target cars of professional thieves. Our VW are not the targets of professionals!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Well, after weeks of testing, observing, adding battery backup time, I am ready to permanently install this GPS unit!

It does what I need it to do, identify the Vans current location within 15'.

If the weather holds and the "honeydo" list is small....... tomorrow is GPS install day!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It does what I need it to do, identify the Vans current location within 15'.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

congrats!
glad you're ready to go live with something

what did it end up costing?
what features have you enabled?

1. look up the location of the device online
2. receive a text or email of its location coordinates upon request
3. receive a text or email IF the van is moved in your absence. (geofence)
4. movement history on a map

Recently someone else went for a walk with My Dog Spot.. See Spot, See Spot Run, Good Spot
Multiman mv wrote:
I was able to really test out the new SPOT trace. It's a pretty neat device.

A screen shot of part of our track.

Link

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Well, yesterday was a very busy day with much to do!
No GPS install.

Today dawned cold and bright so after breakfast I started my install.
I thought it would be "lickity split" and done!
Oh silly me!

It turns out that my wondeful weatherproof box was too big...... but only by "that" much...... 3/8".

I pondered and thought and eventually ended up at my local sports supply shop.

They had water proof boxes a bit smaller than mine. My GPS fit great but without the 3 day battery backup.

I installed a diode in my 12v feed to my backup battery. If the Starter battery goes dead or is disconnected, my tiny backup battery will not attempt to power anything the starter battery normally does.

I had to redesign and come up with an alternative placement but in the end it worked out great! Took five hours all told but.......

If I didn't tell you that I had a GPS, even if I did tell you that I had one and allowed you to look for it or signs of wiring to it..... unless you are well above average or quite lucky, you wouldn't find it.

The tracker placed my Van within five feet of it's actual location. (Red pin) (blue dot is where AT&T wireless THINKS my cell phone is...... I'm in the garage)

All is good!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Took five hours

glad thats over Smile
so, what was your total hardware cost, and total per month

so people can compare to SPOT,
https://www.rei.com/product/869419/spot-trace-gps-...gJLp_D_BwE
hardware is $50 (rebate until 9/4)
monthly fee $8.33
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

My installed cost was ~$35 for the unit plus
SIM card: $14 (there are cheaper options there).

Monthly fee will be around $11. Probably less.

I use my AUX battery to power it so i don't worry about starter battery drain.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Ok, $$'s spent.....

$69 to purchase Cellular GPS unit (eBay, shipped from China)

$15 for a 3 day back up battery (with my new battery location I could add two or three more if I wanted to and increase my backup time)

$11 for a water proof box

$5 for a lifetime supply of diodes (one way electric "check valve" so if starter battery is disconnected my tiny backup battery will not kill itself trying to power other things back stream.)

Terminals, wiring, grommets, DumDum, etc I had in the garage already

$100 total for unit and supplies.

I spent $20 on a SIM card, it is good for 3 months, about 80 texts. Mine is an AT&T GoPhone card.
I wanted the reliability of a major carrier, however, I can get a plan from xyz company for $5 a month. Maybe even less if I seriously shopped.

Cellular coverage will be $80 a year.

My unit can ....
Geofence
Motion sensor
Turn off engine
Listen to occupants talk
Report location on request.

Many of these features require a free 3rd party web site which I do NOT want to get involved with.
I only want to know my Vans location when requested. Basic, basic bare bones, totally in MY control. No internet connection required.

My family has my Vans phone number, they can find me at will.

I'm happy!
I'm feeling a lot more secure about my Van now.

Money and time well spent!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
CinnabarVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
thanks for all the great posts. I'm running down to the newly opened REI store tomorrow to take a look at the Spot Trace.

I see that the battery powered Spot Tracker is quite popular and recommended. One of the requirement is that there are No Metal Obstructions. Where are you guys placing your Spot Tracker?

Also I was looking at the SpyTec STI-Bolt which has a 9 mo. battery life and can be magnetically mounted anywhere under or in the van. Anyone with an opinion on that one. It is $130 plus a $15/month charge using CDMA standards.

Likewise the EON 2.0 GPS tracker is quite similar.

The TK103 is nice but requires wiring and battery. I disconnect any battery when I park my van for more than a week due to unidentified gremlins draining it.

The Vectu has also been mentioned and suggested, but it run on 2G technology and GSM standard.

Thanks,
Joel in Rochester
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I've put the spot in various locations in the van and haven't had any problems with receiving messages from it so I'll suggest that "metal obstructions" doesn't apply to a van with windows, etc. The Spot can also be hard wired to power via micro USB (?) cable. Mine has sent nearly 1,000 messages in over two months without sending a battery low message. I'll post here when the battery finally gets tired.

Enjoy the confidence in knowing your van's whereabouts regardless of the solution you choose.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I've put the spot in various locations in the van and haven't had any problems with receiving messages from it so I'll suggest that "metal obstructions" doesn't apply to a van with windows, etc.

Ive been wondering about that. So far, everyone who is using spot seems to have a fiberglass roof (Westy). And so far no one has mentioned trying to stick it to the underside of the van with a magnet (which probably would not work because the metal will block a satellite view of the sky)

CinnabarVan wrote:
Where are you guys placing your Spot Tracker?

That is a Secret Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Dave - stopped by last night and put a little more tape on that diode to prevent chafe. Happy to help

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks!
That would be on top of my insulated wrapping I put on after the photo was taken?

Laughing

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Ive been wondering about that. So far, everyone who is using spot seems to have a fiberglass roof (Westy). And so far no one has mentioned trying to stick it to the underside of the van with a magnet (which probably would not work because the metal will block a satellite view of the sky)

The TK103 comes with two antennas that you can run wherever you like. Mine are up against the metal of the [REDACTED] body panel and I don't seem to be having any trouble "seeing" satellites or cell towers.

I can imagine lots of good options: at the foot/rear of the poptop, in the D pillar, up in the A/C or storage area, behind the fridge, in the coat closet…take your phone out there and run a GPS app, see if it picks up anything. I bet works just fine no matter where you put it, other than under the clamshell or oil pan.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 34

Jump to: