Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about Small Car in-dash AC
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teelinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

For those who have done this upgrade with Small Cars (SC) system, what is the AC temperature taken at the center vent when set to the coolest setting? And what was the ambient temperature when you took the reading?

I recently had SC do this upgrade for me ($$$$) prior to a trip from Seattle to Moab to Yellowstone and back and the results were... Less than stellar. Granted the ambient temps outside were hitting triple digits during parts of the trip, but I barely used it because it never cooled the van off.

And that doesn't even start to describe the lack of quality control in the install and quality of the parts as I had to go back prior to my trip no less than 3 times to address issues.

Before I go back a 4th time, I wanted to get comparative data on operating temps to get a better sense of how off my system is.

I have read all the recent threads about the DIY installs of this system, but has anyone else had problems with their system installed by SC?

At this point I really regret the decision to upgrade with SC. Needless to say, once I get this resolved I won't be using SC products or service ever again.

James

86 Syncro GL with Pop-top, Weekender and Subie conversion
73 BMW 2002
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

You'll have to tell us more about your van to paint the picture correctly.

Are your windows tinted?

Do you have a tintop or a Westy?

What color is your van?

Do you have good door and window seals?

Do you have good floor insulation?

Do you have any measures taken to prevent hot foot?

Do you have a heater core shutoff?

Do you have a working Stage 2 fan that draws air over the condenser when the AC compressor is running?

Do you have a parallel flow condenser?

Do you have an engine upgrade that may result in better overall compressor performance?

If you expect good performance in any 90+ degree weather, your "total package" (not just your AC install) needs to include most if not all of the above improvements.

Let us know what you have.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teelinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

Thanks Kourt!

Answers inline... Note I am a newbie and have owned my van for 6+ months and am answering as best as I can.

Are your windows tinted?
Yes

Do you have a tintop or a Westy?
Westy

What color is your van?
Dark metallic grey, both body and top

Do you have good door and window seals?
Yes

Do you have good floor insulation?
I do not believe so. Currently the interior is rhino lined with thick rubber flooring throughout. I'll take a picture and post later tonight. The walls of the van have been sound proofed but I believe they have not been insulated.

Do you have any measures taken to prevent hot foot?
I'm unfamiliar with this term, what does it mean?

Do you have a heater core shutoff?
I'm unsure. Would this have been part of the SC install? I do have an aux propex (sp?) heater and believe there is a shutoff associated with it.

Do you have a working Stage 2 fan that draws air over the condenser when the AC compressor is running?
Unsure, is this part of the Vintage Air unit SC installs? I am running a rebuilt Subaru compressor.

Do you have a parallel flow condenser?
Unsure, I am running a new standard vanagon condenser

Do you have an engine upgrade that may result in better overall compressor performance?
Subaru Forester 2004 2.5 engine

73 BMW 2002
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

Some of the questions will be answered by knowing if you had A/C in the Van before installing the Small car unit. Radiator fan for example.

I blow wet bulb 38* out of my "inferior" stock rear A/C Evaporator. Ambient was 81*and air entering the Evaporator was 65*

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

There is chatter that the smallcar unit is too small to cool the entire Van adequately.

Take a wet bulb reading on a more mild day, maybe hang a curtain to isolate the cold air in the front.
A/C units can only pull down x number of degrees no matter what the interior temps are. Generally a 30-40 degree drop. So if it were 100* you will get 60-70 degree air out if the vent. As the interior temps drop and you are recirculating interior cooled air the vent temps will drop too. But the unit needs to put out enough btu's to make headway against extreme temoeratures.

The stock rear mounted VW evaporator is HUGE!!! As compared to other dash installed units.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teelinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

No prior AC. Vanagon condensor and subie compressor added at time of install with the rest of the SC kit.

James

73 BMW 2002
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

I'd hazard a guess that it is a parallel flow condensor then.
No high speed radiator cooling fan. Unless they got one out of a wreck and the wiring to go with it.
Heater core shut off not needed for small car provides a new one.

Hot foot is radiator air passing above the spare tire and heating up the front passenger area to uncomfortable temperatures.
Mine was an OVEN until I insulated the entire front area.
The most intense heat is the gas pedal and shift lever area.
We could barely ride in the Van in intense heat!

Some have wondered if the Subaru compressors struggle handling the volume of refrigerant a Van requires with its front to rear lines.

I am guessing they put in r134a refrigerant, it works but there are better options.
Seek out the RedTek thread here.

JudoJeff recently put in the Subaru and Smallcars A/C. He runs RedTek, he seems very happy with the system.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

When I contemplated Small Car in dash a/c a few years ago, I sent them an email asking a few questions, including: "What is the lowest temp you've seen at the vent running at max a/c?". This is the response I received from them:

1. Installing the dash AC will eliminate the rear AC.
2. We charge 23 hours labor time.
3. The lowest temp we’ve seen is 55 degree F.

Mao
Online Sales Manager
Small Car Performance
1403 34th Avenue E
Fife, WA 98424
Phone: 253.473-2474
Fax: 253.473.8573
M-F 9am-5:30pm PST

I decided to pass and restored my OEM a/c.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

I get 44 degrees all the time. At test install, got 32. I also designed a rear under bed setup, go read the thread for the information. Note that I haven't built it yet, no need.

There are a lot of variables in building a system, no quick answers....
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

I am running a vintage air unit that I installed myself. I used Blake Heinlein's how to install one in a vanagon. I did make some changes, but more in the wiring than anything else.

While I had the dash out, I insulated the entire underside of the dashboard. I also insulated the entire front firewall including the radiator tunnel. I also added some heat reflective clear tint to the windshield and the front door windows.

Cloudy, night, or rain, it will freeze the front passengers out. Driving into the sun the AC keeps you comfortable up front. Beyond the front seats, it is feeling warm. When the mrs. goes to make a sandwich, I aim the center vents down the aisle and have a 12 volt oscillating fan with a tarp clip that we can point into the kitchen area.

Does it turn the van into a meat locker? No. Does it allow you to drive at highway speeds in the dead of summer with the windows up comfortably? Yes. Sorry no vent temps. I am running a radiator fan and shroud from a 90 vanagon that had factory air. Rad fan is on low when the compressor is engaged. Rad is on medium when the ac pressure trips the hi pressure switch switch.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

I mentioned using RedTek as a refrigerant.

A shop doing work will most likely NOT use this product, they will use the commercial product of choice r134a which is not capable of delivering the temperatures many of us experience coming out if our Evaporators.

It is largely a DIY product.

Something to consider, have them or someone else remove the 134a and install RedRek for you.

Yet more money but hopefully colder air.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

There is a corellation between the low side pressure and the evaporator core temp. The vintage air is designed to run a lower pressure on the suction side than most modern day systems. It's possible, your system is overcharged. I would review the vintage air documentation to familiarize yourself with their system. Then, if you don't have the AC equipment, find a shop that specializes in AC repair. Have an intelligent conversation with them and have them check it out. I have been running R134 since it was introduced. I have converted systems from r12 to R134 and have actually been impressed how well they can work. The trick seems to be not over charging the system and good air flow across the condenser.

I have not used redtek and don't believe I can legally install it through my business. In the days, we used to worry about contaminating our recovery equipment with these alternate gasses. Not so much a problem any more.

One problem I ran into with my TDI compressor was that it is a variable displacement compressor. New cars are using these types to lessen the clutch cycling. I had to defeat the valve in mine to get the low side where it was maintained solely by the expansion valve. Do the newer Subaru's have. Something similar?
Teelinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

Another question: should the radiator fan turn on as soon as the AC knob is turned and air starts to flow out of the vents? Mine currently does not.

James

73 BMW 2002
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

Yes, the radiator cooling fan should run all the time that the A/C is turned on.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

I've had to replace 2 of the low speed resistors so far this year on family vans.
so far vancafe has the best deal (I've found).
http://www.van-cafe.com/fan-resistor-for-vanagon-with-ac-aftermarket

you can test if your fan will run on low speed by pulling the lower grill,
pulling the rad fan switch plug off the switch and using a heavy wire jumper the terminals in the plug.. of the 3 terminals, 2 will make the fan go on high, 2 will go on low and 2 won't do anything..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
One problem I ran into with my TDI compressor was that it is a variable displacement compressor. New cars are using these types to lessen the clutch cycling. I had to defeat the valve in mine to get the low side where it was maintained solely by the expansion valve.

Mark, do you have details into how to identify this issue, and how to defeat it? My AHU TDI has an AC compressor on it, not sure if it was a TDI specific compressor or fairly generic compressor, and my system doesn't get cold enough.

It is also using a stock Vanagon condenser, which may be insufficient for the R134A that is in the system - but before I swap that out to a cross-flow condenser (unfortunately GW is out-of-stock), I want to make sure my compressor is going to work properly.

I also am not sure it is putting the rad-fan on low when compressor runs - i *do* know that it cycles to medium or high periodically, especially when stopped in traffic and AC is engaged.

Thanks!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

The modification is straight forward. The end cover and the reed plate need to be removed. The valve is in the center of the reed plate assembly. Some have removed the valve and replaced with a proper diameter bolt. I could not find a bolt in the shop and decided to gut the valve, drill and tap for a set screw. I reused the compressor gaskets. You can search the TDI website for more info. Later TDIs used an external valve run by a computer. Not sure what you have.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

Hmmm...I'm getting ready to charge up the A/C in my ALH build. Is this mod to the compressor a mandatory thing, or just a "nice to have" tweak?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

The valve is a bypass to the reed plate. It is mechanical. If your low side pressures are to spec and you have good vent temps, this mod is probably not required.

The vintage air uses an old style expansion valve, not the later "H" type. They spec out a very low side pressure to achieve good evap core temps. I could not get the low side pressure down enough to get good cooling using the stock ALH compressor.

All manufacturers were trying to come up with ways to lessen the compressor clutch cycling. This was just one method.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
When I contemplated Small Car in dash a/c a few years ago, I sent them an email asking a few questions, including: "What is the lowest temp you've seen at the vent running at max a/c?". This is the response I received from them:

1. Installing the dash AC will eliminate the rear AC.
2. We charge 23 hours labor time.
3. The lowest temp we’ve seen is 55 degree F.

Mao
Online Sales Manager
Small Car Performance
1403 34th Avenue E
Fife, WA 98424
Phone: 253.473-2474
Fax: 253.473.8573
M-F 9am-5:30pm PST

I decided to pass and restored my OEM a/c.
n

The right question here I see “what is the temperature differential seen?” Not the actual temperature.

This has to be measured equilibrated, With compressor at 100% capacity, typically 1500 engine rpm, recirc on and after20 minutes operation for reference
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Small Car in-dash AC Reply with quote

Sh!T, I just see this compressor issue, my system is not done yet luckily Smile

Would a 97 AHU Tdi compressor have that valve? How can we tell?

Cheers!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: