Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Herrod Helper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting look to be sure.

Here's a few shots of the legs of both units, thinking about the suggestion of lowering the wing by an inch or so.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what it would look like set up on the old legs. New Wing, old legs. Looks like it would not only drop it, but also tilt it forward a little.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought I also had, and dismissed. Once the front end is lowered via drop spindles, the spoiler should then be level with the ground, so I'm not worried about that part.

The reason I dismissed using the HH leg is that the HH was made of steel, the RLR is made of aluminum. Even with its own leg, it flaps and vibrates on the road. That may be wind or jus it rattling about. I don't know. But still, it sits on a 1" x maybe 4" surface....can you imagine a small, single point supporting it with only one bolt? I don't think it could handle the stress, not to mention what I'd do with the pre-existing mounting holes. Sure, I could fabricate an adapter to solve both issues (potentially), but I think my best bet would be lowering its own legs.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I ment is to use the steel legs for a trial fit to give a good idea where to position the aluminum legs. You could move the steel legs in and out along the body curve to raise and lower the wing for proper fit to the body-wing curve. Once the wing is where you want it, measure where the aluminum legs are supposed to be to get that exact fit to modify the aluminum legs with.

Once I had it where I wanted, I would use cardboard to make my templet and then transfer to each aluminum leg for modification.

As a second suggestion, once you have it hugging the body, you could make a small rubber bumper and use double sided tape to place it just under the center of the wing where it will just touch the body. This will give a center support to the wing and reduce the vibration it goes through on the highway.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking where youre going with this. I'll explore the possibilities.

Thank you.

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
Freedommb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Herrod-Helper-Rear-Spoiler-Street-Wing-p/herrod-helper.htm
superbeetle7101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked mine. I found one in a grave yard for VW's. Got it and the mounts for $5 bucks. Well worth it. Currently restoring my 71 SB so no pictures I can find with it on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Herrod Helper Reply with quote

Anyone tried the Fast Fab street wing?

http://www.fastfabonline.com/Street-Wing_p_121.html

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Herrod Helper Reply with quote

After further investigation, I decided to go with the Herrod Helper. Ordered the nice aluminum repro from Gilmore Enterprises in Las Vegas:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Greenrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Herrod Helper Reply with quote

I also bought one from Gilmore Enterprises. The sucker is really well made, built from aluminum and stainless steel. It's really sturdy after everything is bolted down. When I grab & move it, the car moves with it. No flexing. The spoiler mounts to the vents without harming the body. The wing doesn't conflict with opening the decklid and can be easily taken off. I always thought they were cool when I was a kid ... now I got one! As far as it being detrimental to cooling, I haven't noticed that. However, my volksrod doesn't have much constriction to the fan shroud! It's more like a Baja with a lid.

superbeetle7101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Herrod Helper Reply with quote

I have the same concern with the flapping. I believe it is from the fact it is mounted to the vents. I am going to put a third mount in the middle to prevent this.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Herrod Helper Reply with quote

I've made a few passes on the drag strip and am pleased with the improved stability at 100+ mph. I haven't experiencd any change in engine temperatures in city driving and it's been a hot summer here.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Herrod Helper Reply with quote

Really old thread, but what the heck. I have one installed on my '73 Super. Not sure it does much more than block the stickers on the bottom of the rear windshield, but I like it!

Also not sure what the hole on the right edge was for, but I suppose I could mount a 3rd brake light on it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: