Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rocker arms
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Rocker arms Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 73 vw thing. I just got done rebuilding the top end of the engine. I replaced pistons, cylinders, heads on this engine purchased from jbugs. I put together the 1st and 2nd rocker arm assembly on first and then moved over to the 3rd and 4th. The assembly and the pushrods were good so i did not replace them. My problem is, once I installed the rocker arm assembly I noticed that my exhaust valves on 3 and 4 were compressed with the rocker arm adjustment all the way out. All the pushrods are exactly the same length and were the originals. I've tried everything including setting the backlash to .006 on #1. Counter clockwise 180, then setting #2 and the same for 3 and 4. The adjustment post is completely out and the springs
Are still compressed. Any ideas??
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

they do make shims that can go under the rockers.. usually when the case has been cut and heads cut.. this issues comes up.. but there are rectangle spacers available..
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

All I did, is swap old for new parts. No other work has been done to the heads or casing, etc. I'll look into the spacers too. Thanks
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

baker1428 wrote:
All I did, is swap old for new parts. No other work has been done to the heads or casing, etc. I'll look into the spacers too. Thanks

something changed.. did they have them on there and you did not see them? got 4 square washers you cant account for were they went?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

There are an awful lot of variables in these engines. Any chance that your old jugs were longer than your new ones? Did your old heads have a raised seating surface and your new one are instead cut flat?
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

@wildthing. That's it. The new heads were flat. Darn. I should of thought of that. I have spoken to a few people and they said at the last result use shims, spacers. Would you recommend using them and where can I purchase them?
Thanks guys for any and all of your help.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

You can get barrel shims in different sizes and thicknesses

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Barrel-Shims-90-5-92mm-Type-1-Set-of-4-p/90.5-92mm-barrel-shims.htm
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

Thank you so much.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

You are going to want to set your deck height somewhere around 0.040" and once you get the heads buttoned down check your valve train geometry. You may still need to add something in the way of shims under the rocker supports.
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

Great!!! Going to tackle this on tuesday when im off.
baker1428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rocker arms Reply with quote

Okay fellas, so I found out why my pushrods were too long. The intake lifter on #3 was stuck and #4 exhaust lifter was stuck as well. How they moved out a 1:4 inch is beyond me. I tapped on them with a brass punch while my buddy was turning the crank pulley. A little unorthodox but after I put the rocker arms back on and setting to .006, this engine is running perfectly. Of course I had to tune carb and timing but I figured it out. Thanks for all your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: