Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: 1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly Reply with quote

1966 Bug right front brake will not release properly. I installed new shoes/spring kit today as the passenger side front shoes were wore down, glazed and cracking. I assumed it was an adjustment issue, but the new shoes are doing the same thing the old ones were. Symptoms are: car pulls slightly to left when braking, and right wheel does not retract fully. So I assume it is one of two things. Collapsed hose or sticking wheel cylinder. What do you guys think?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly Reply with quote

I wouldn't fight it. I would swap both front hoses, both front wheel cylinders, and put in new shoes. Hoses and wheel cylinders can show some similar failure symptoms, and you are seeing one they share. I wouldn't replace one wheel cylinder or one brake hose. This is the braking system -- life and death serious.

Last edited by EVfun on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly Reply with quote

Hi. Diagnose it. Jack car up and have a 7mm box wrench handy. Have someone press the brake pedal and hold. You verify it doesn't turn. Have them release the pedal. It should spin freely. If it doesn't, crack open the bleeder slightly. If the wheel spins the hose is restricted. If it doesn't spin the shoes are hanging up inside or the wheel cyl is stuck. That's the basic diagnostic procedure.
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly Reply with quote

Thanks guys, wasn't planning on just fixing one side, it's a must to do brakes in pairs. I appreciate the troubleshooting tip, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly Reply with quote

When replacing wheel cylinders, do it in pairs. You don't always know a replacement is the same. I just had a bad brand new wheel cylinder and my parts supplier didnt have another in stock and was going to take a while to get it. I got a pair from another place and did them both again.

The car initially had an issue with pulling after a short drive and the one side was hanging up. The problem then after replacing them was that I could not properly bleed, which is why I replaced them again. If your hoses are old, might as well just replace them and then you know its all done.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Beetle front brake won't release properly Reply with quote

Rust in the wheel cylinder. They are less than 2 years old... Fixed and working good now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: