Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnnyjunglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Hey, I am planning to swap out my oil bath on a '72 Super Beetle for a paper air filter. The problem is, there is one hole on the air filter which attaches to the carb, but there are a couple of hoses hooked up to the oil bath. Where do these go once the oil bath is swapped out? I can't find any videos or diagrams, please help!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Johnny,

Why are you doing the swap? The stock filter is superior to any paper filter you can buy. The stock unit has a built in velocity stack for better drivability and performance. If it setup correctly you have preheated air in the winter. Once again better drivability and performance. You have proper crankcase ventilation and nothing removes the particulates out of the air better then an oil bath (engine longevity). The only reason to remove it is you have done a performance carb swap. That, or you just want to make the engine look purty. Then again, if you don't plumb the breather right, the engine gets covered with an oil mist and it ain't purty for long.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

^^^agree, quit while you are ahead. Unless you are fitting a 73-74 VW paper element filter, then you are going backwards in making improvements to your engine...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

You can punch a hole through the base plate of the air cleaner assembly and install one of these threaded nipples. Be sure to use loctite to prevent the nut from spinning off. If you can find a 3/8 inch (9mm) nipple, that will work, or (I am 2nd guessing myself) a 1/2 inch (13mm) Nicole. I think the hose is 10mm or it is 12mm. Man, I need a cup of coffee. Anyways, measure the interior of the hose and buy a nipple with a threaded end and a nut.

Damn, that was hard to get out!

If your engine has any excessive wear, the oil deposits will gunk up the plugs. Maybe check those every valve adjust to keep tabs on it!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Don't do it, you're making your car worse.

(and more trashy-looking too)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

You have angered the gods and you will atone.
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

DONT DO IT.

It will look dumb and make your car worth less.

Please for god sakes DONT DO IT

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
Johnnyjunglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

So.... Don't do it? Haha! Thank you guys for the advice. This is my first VW, and I am trying to figure out what's going to make it look a little more streamlined, and I thought the air filter would be an upgrade too, since it is newer. This is probably why I couldn't find any videos showing this swap, because no one in their right mind would do it? So Instead I'll pull the oil bath, clean it, put in fresh hoses, and clamps, and fresh oil, and go with that! It's kinda nasty looking, if the exterior doesn't look clean after washing it, any recommendations? Paint it? Any certain cleaners that might work to brighten it up a little? Thanks again!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Johnnyjunglo wrote:
So.... Don't do it? Haha! Thank you guys for the advice. This is my first VW, and I am trying to figure out what's going to make it look a little more streamlined, and I thought the air filter would be an upgrade too, since it is newer. This is probably why I couldn't find any videos showing this swap, because no one in their right mind would do it? So Instead I'll pull the oil bath, clean it, put in fresh hoses, and clamps, and fresh oil, and go with that! It's kinda nasty looking, if the exterior doesn't look clean after washing it, any recommendations? Paint it? Any certain cleaners that might work to brighten it up a little? Thanks again!

Dawn dish soap is a good degreaser. Also if you have a Family Dollar around, look for "Awesome" degreaser, that's the brand. Give it a really good cleaning/degreasing and you can spray paint it with Rust-Oleum or keep it og.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Johnnyjunglo wrote:
So.... Don't do it? Haha! Thank you guys for the advice. This is my first VW, and I am trying to figure out what's going to make it look a little more streamlined, and I thought the air filter would be an upgrade too, since it is newer.

Understand this about old VWs:

Just because something is newer does not make it an upgrade.

Most of the parts available nowadays are shit quality compared to the original German stuff.

The oil bath air cleaner provides superior filtration to the aftermarket paper unit. Also, the oil bath air cleaner has provision for the intake air preheating system, which you need to help prevent carb icing.

You should be very wary when deviating from stock. The VW engineers did what they did for a reason, so you need to make sure you really understand what's going on before you make changes.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Johnny did you by chance mean that you wanted to swap your oil-bath air cleaner for a later model new-style genuine VW paper-element air cleaner? Or were you referring to one of those cheap paper-element air cleaners with the chrome top?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Johnnyjunglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Thanks again for the advice everyone, yes unfortunately due to my being new to owning an old VW I know very little about what makes them really run well. I did purchase a fairly cheap chrome-top paper air filter like Tim mentioned because I had seen lots of pics online and i thought it made the engine look a lot cleaner than my best up oil bath, but after reading the responses on this thread I am hopeful that a little cleaning and some new hoses will clean up the look of the engine and help with performance as well. I will be returning the air cleaner and putting my money towards a deck lid lock. Anyone know if they sell a matching door handle/deck lid lock set on any website?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Johnnyjunglo wrote:
I will be returning the air cleaner and putting my money towards a deck lid lock. Anyone know if they sell a matching door handle/deck lid lock set on any website?

I think you've made a good choice!

I don't know of the current sale offerings, but if you find a deckled lock that matches the keep profile of your existing key, you can re-key the lock to match what you already have. Your original door handles are also probably a better quality than new ones. See a trend here? Laughing

(For the record, I NEVER drive with my deck lids locked; there is no way to open it for a fire extinguisher in the event of the most unfortunate…)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

Also if you have a Family Dollar around, look for "Awesome" degreaser, that's the brand. Give it a really good cleaning/degreasing and you can spray paint it with Rust-Oleum or keep it og.

Joey if we're talking about the same stuff, it's called "Totally Awesome", and I agree with you 100%. For everyone out there for $1 this stuff is an amazing cleaner (I buy the yellow colored version). I no longer buy simple green or even hand cleaner. I even take it on road trips incase any roadside repairs are needed, and I need to clean a part or my hands afterwards.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

You want it really clean? That same place sells house brand oven cleaner for 2.25 per can. It's strong enough to strip loose paint I use it to clean engine cases.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
You want it really clean? That same place sells house brand oven cleaner for 2.25 per can. It's strong enough to strip loose paint I use it to clean engine cases.

$2.25? Man you are getting hosed! Its a buck at the Rite Aid by me! That's the price you pay for unbelievable VW parts scores and cheap used American tools I guess. Worth it.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Johnnyjunglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

Asiab3, thanks for the tip on the keys, yeah I wasn't planning on locking it during a drive, but just when I park it overnight. It's just too easy for people to mess with it if the deck lid is unlocked. Also, here is a link to this fire suppression system I am putting in, just in case you're interested.
https://youtu.be/Kswau1mGBE8
check out the video, it's awesome!
Tom Butler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Oil bath to paper air filter swap Reply with quote

That fire suppresion thing looks cool. I would only worry about it blowing up when it gets hot out here in the summer. I sometimes feel like it gets up to 120 F here and If I am driving that biotch around I would be afraid the thing would blow up pre maturely.

But Im sure they did a bunch of research so what do I know?

Good luck and report back on how you liked the blazecut.

You know where you are going to order it from yet?

Proud Member Pata De Perro Vw Club

iowegian wrote:
Instead of converting your car to a different color, why not just buy one that is a color you like?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: