Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

Hi All

Looking for guidance on updating brake switch system on my 1969 beetle. I replaced another failed pressure sensing switch, and still have on German spare left.

I recall a vendor selling a replacement switch kit for earlier beetles that used a modern contact switch running off the pedal, instead of the stock pressure switches. Seems like a good solution, and minimized risks of brake fluid loss. paint damage, and potential brake failure.

Looking for vendors, or successful examples of conversion. Hoping someone has an elegant solution with part recommendations. Bracket fabrication and wiring changes aren't an issue. Curious on guidance for plugging the stock sensor mounts.

Sorry for any offence to the restoration purists. My focus is to address brake failure safety concerns.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

Should be easy enough to do. I also recall a vendor here on the Samba selling a pre-made kit for Beetles, perhaps a search of the Classifieds will turn it up.

But it should be easy enough to roll your own solution as well. Pretty much every modern car uses some sort of mechanical switch at the pedal to activate the brake lights at the first motion of the pedal, rather than having to wait for pressure to build inside the master cylinder as with original.

You would just need to come up with an appropriate switch and some sort of bracket to mount it.

As for plugging the ports in the m/c for the original switches, you could simply leave the original switches in place without the electrical connected. Or if you are concerned about them blowing out (an issue which only seems to happen with the really cheap ones) then you could replace them with suitably threaded bolts.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

Could this work? http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Mechanical-Brake-Light-Switch,1972.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

That description states that the switch is normally closed and then opens when moved, which seems weird.

I would think you'd want one that's normally open and closes when it moves from rest position.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

I would mount a micro switch on the aluminum peddle mount, then to a relay.. to keep things nice and neat..
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I would think you'd want one that's normally open and closes when it moves from rest position.

Yes.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

Hi. I, too, have been a victim of the cheap azz china brake switches, electrically and hydraulically. What had fooled me was the importer placed their decal over the "made in china" print. I experienced a 100% failure rate on these switches. The retail store stated they didn't warranty brake parts and the importer stated the mark up was so good the retailer wants to sell them.
So, I researched and decided on the ATE brand, for the early Porsche's, pn 901-613-401-00, for approx. $15 each. This switch uses a 10mm thread. The VW switch, either the 2 prong or 3 prong, uses a tapered thread. These switches are approx. $18 each. I've used this switch for over two years trouble free on my daily driver.
I found my switch on Pelican Parts here in SoCal. Looking thru their vast parts availability I saw mechanical switches used on some later Porsche's that might suit your needs.
Since the majority of our cars use a pair of 21 watt bulbs I see little need to install a relay, as long as the cheapo china switch isn't used.
Hope this helps, Bill.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

I went through more that I can count. then I got a pair from auto zone.....that was 7 years ago, the rest lasted about a year or so before they left me grabing the parking break. I think they were made in europe...like isral or italy...well thats europe to me Im in Fl. so it's across the pond. could of been inda, but not china/ tiejuan shit like the VW venders/stores sell. and they were in stock.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8ixpQodgU

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

Stop buying cheap switches, and flush your brake fluid more often. Like mentioned, Pelican has the OEM manufacture ATE switches for $18-$20, and they even have actual OEM genuine Porsche ones for $52. I've lost track of how many cars I've worked on that are driven less than a few thousand miles that just sit and collect moisture in the brake system. Most brake fluids should be clear, almost colorless, not like Pepsi without the carbonation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing stock Brake light switches with modern type Reply with quote

sjbartnik that style switch IS normally closed....when its installed and the pedal is touching it , it is being held in the open position (lights off)...when you move the pedal away , it allows the switch to return to its normally closed position (lights on).....trouble with trying to rig up this style of switch is that it needs to be mounted on the drivers side of the pedal....this works fine on cars with long pedals that hang from under the dash, but on a bug you'd be stepping on the thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: