Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

IRS Trailing arm suggestions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefdaveboats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

I finally have my rail roadworthy. I do want to replace the stock trailing arms and am looking for advice.

Use is mainly on the street but will go off road every once in a while. Want stock position lower shock mounts already welded on, my top mounts are frame mounts about 4" above the stock position. Cost is a factor and don't want to go over $600 for the whole project (arms/bearings/seals/bushings).

I'd like to stay away from anything EMPI markets, to date my experience with their parts has been for the most part unsatisfactory.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

If you are not going wider or longer you might as well add a reinforcing plate kit and put shock mounts where you need them. Eshocks.com has some good info about valving, extended, and compressed lengths. You can also notch your spring plates and gain some travel, but keep a eye on your max cv angles. The baja bug and buggies book has some good, old skool info.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

I don't know of anybody who sells arms ready for your setup. They will need to be built custom.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chiefdaveboats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that my right trailing arm slightly bent so I might as well go after market since it has to be replaced anyway.
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

chiefdaveboats wrote:
Forgot to mention that my right trailing arm slightly bent so I might as well go after market since it has to be replaced anyway.

I hope this isn't high-jacking, but I'd be curious if there were any tricks to straighten up a slightly bent trailing arm (while on the rail)....maybe with leverage of some sorts? I've got the same problem and on the same side as you do. While it's not a terrible bend, at least for an offroad set-up, it's just enough to agitate my O.C.D. Maybe that could be a potential option to replacement?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

summit racing.. or ebay.. you can buy just about everything off the shelf for all the links but you will need to do some welding and fab work..
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

I think you might be able to pull it off with your budget, but will need to go stock size. Don't think new axles will fall with in your budget. Will still need to fab shock mounts.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

Kizbo wrote:
chiefdaveboats wrote:

I hope this isn't high-jacking, but I'd be curious if there were any tricks to straighten up a slightly bent trailing arm (while on the rail)....maybe with leverage of some sorts? I've got the same problem and on the same side as you do. While it's not a terrible bend, at least for an offroad set-up, it's just enough to agitate my O.C.D. Maybe that could be a potential option to replacement?

You can take a sawzall and cut most the way through it in the direction it needs to come, bend it where you like it and then weld it back. Add some bracing afterwards.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

Kizbo wrote:
chiefdaveboats wrote:

Two options:
1) If it were me, change out bad arm with good, then reinforce both arms. Off road they WILL bend again.

2) Take to frame shop and let THEM straighten it, then reinforce.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: IRS Trailing arm suggestions Reply with quote

Good suggestions and solutions from both of you fellas that'd I'd never thought of before. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: