Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the old pans out.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Getting the old pans out. Reply with quote

I just started removing my old pans and figured you guys could make a few things easier for me.

1. What is the easy way to remove the factory seam sealer? I'm using an old wood chisel with the best results. If I try the wire wheel it just burns and gums up so I'd like to remove as much as possible first.

2. In some of my rusty areas it is hard to tell where the spot welds are. Are there welds where the edges wrap around?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
Chris
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the old pans out. Reply with quote

I just cut the pans out close to the lip with a saws-all and grinder, and then used a cold chisel and putty knife to remove the remaining spot welded strip on the lip. No need to remove the seam sealer first that way.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the old pans out. Reply with quote

Get a 4.5" angle grinder. Buy a knotted 4.5" wire wheel and get to work. It will uncover the spot welds and clean out the sealer. It appears that you are using a wire wheel in a drill. It's too slow and will moosh the sealer all over the place instead of removing it. WIth the grinder, you'll be wearing the sealer in no time Shocked

Or you can just do what ^^^ he said Very Happy

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the old pans out. Reply with quote

Flip the pan upside down and beat it with a big hammer on the edges. The spot welds will break away from the pan. Then grind off whats left of the spot welds.
swhitcomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the old pans out. Reply with quote

I’ve done several sets of pans. Air chisel them off. It’s noisy, but quick. Cut the majority of it off with the chisel, then go back and clean up the rest slowly with it.
07 Boxster
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: