Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Question on my 59
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Yea on the Starter from Bat to Solenoid, it will turn but not engage.

I cannot remember about the voltage on the key turn, if it dropped our not. I will look tonight.

I also am going to throw the old one back on tonight and see if I have the same problem.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

frankthetank81 wrote:
Yea on the Starter from Bat to Solenoid, it will turn but not engage.

I cannot remember about the voltage on the key turn, if it dropped our not. I will look tonight.

I also am going to throw the old one back on tonight and see if I have the same problem.

Then you might be touching the battery cable connection directly to the starter motor connection.

When you have the starter out clean the starter and transaxle surfaces where they mount together for a good ground there.
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

It was the new starter all along, put the old one in, car fired right up. Tried to test the new starter on the bench and it would not work at all. You guys were right, the new starters are junk. For 300(No core) I would expect a much better quality piece. I don't think I have ever had a new starter not work for me.

Fun Times
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Good.

frankthetank81 wrote:
Tried to test the new starter on the bench and it would not work at all.

Actually, since these starters need a bushing in the transmission case to keep the armature aligned, trying to test on a bench can actually do damage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

I will keep that in mind next time. The bench test was more of just a check my sanity. The fact that it did not work at all didn't surprise me.
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Okay so Bosch starter number 2 same exact result. Solenoid just clicks with the turn of the key. Battery is 3 days old brand new. Old starter was working totally fine.

Any ideas anybody?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Clean, tighten, dielectric grease all connections between battery, starter and gen/reg.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

check the voltage going to the solenoid wire while cranking.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

6.3 Volts, same as the battery.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Where are you getting the starters?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Airhead.

Coming from the dealership world while I was in school, I was never a fan of Bosch, but it seems to be the only option out there short of finding a mom and pop rebuild place. Which I will be doing this winter now.

The current (It damn near looks original) is fine, I just am trying to be proactive.

I have had two friends over who are mechanics and way smarter than me on the first one and the conclusion was it was the starter, so here we are now, starter 2 doing the same exact thing.

I don't thing there is anything more I can replace.

Battery, ground, battery to starter. I have tripled checked to make sure I received the correct starter both times via part number.

I have probably replaced 20 starters in my life time and never once had these kind of issues, granted they were all 12v cars.
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Hot start relay installed. Same exact result. Put the old starter back in, turns and fires right up. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have a theory?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

frankthetank81 wrote:
Hot start relay installed. Same exact result. Put the old starter back in, turns and fires right up. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have a theory?

Have you been cleaning up wiring connections??
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

All connections are new and clean
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Well my opinion of Bosch is not gonna change anytime soon. Took the unit up to a highly recommended shop, tested it, didn't work. Took it apart, and two major issues with how it was assembled. Long story short the unit was grounding itself out when the power was applied. I will post pics of the issues tomorrow for reference.

2 bad ones in a row.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Just curious where you purchased the BOSCH starters from?
New or rebuilt and if rebuilt, by whom?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Airhead, which has been really awesome with exchanging the first one.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Take those back and get your $300. There is no need to spend that kind of money on a starter when rebuilt ones are way cheaper. I'm absolutely sure all the parts in these starters are being pulled from the same parts bin somewhere in China. I've dealt with Advance Auto plenty and never had an issue with a return/exchange of within warranty period.

https://m.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-starter-remanufactured-16318s/5844002-P?searchTerm=starter
frankthetank81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Question on my 59 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So the magnets on the case are not long enough

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The coils should not be touching the out side of the case

Starter was grounding itself out every time it was engaged, would never have worked like this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: