Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurboFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

I'm replacing the original wiper motor on a '79 Super Beetle. I thought it would be a simple plug and play operation. But there appeared to be more wires than what should be there.

Old plug for wiper motor that connects under the steering column. Not sure what that brown wire is there for, because the new plug doesn't have a wire in that slot. It goes to the fuse panel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New plug for wiper motor. No wire in the space where the brown one is in the original plug.

This black wire come from the wiper motor, through the firewall and is connected to a black w/ green stripe wire that going to the fuse panel. Not sure where this wire connects on the new wiper motor.

Fuse panel, notice the brown w/black stripe wire and the black w/ green stripe wire going to it.

New starter... I assume the brown is a chassis ground?

Not sure what this blue wire is for. Could it connect to the black w/ green stripe wire that connects under the dash and goes to fuse panel?

Thanks for the help!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

In European Automotive Wiring, brown is ground.
TurboFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

I understand. But what is the blue wire for on the new wiper motor?

And why are there additional wires in the factory plug that go to the fuse panel that the replacement plug doesn't have?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

TurboFlash wrote:
But what is the blue wire for on the new wiper motor?

And why are there additional wires in the factory plug that go to the fuse panel that the replacement plug doesn't have?

Hard to say about the new motor. Could be the replacement wiper motor is a newly made part and making sure the wires were colored properly or wired same as your VW, might not have been a top priority. Could be a Mexican VW or Brazil part that was for a make not sold here in the USA.

Try your supplier to find out about wiring, or trace each wire into the wiper motor and with what you find, do some testing. If you do, please post the results for the next fellow!
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

The '79 Super Beetle came with intermittent wipers. The brn/blk wire goes from the switch to the relay in the fuse box. You have to have the right wiring or the wiper motor will not work unless you bypass the relay with a jumper. You may be better off just getting a good used wiper motor with the original wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurboFlash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
The '79 Super Beetle came with intermittent wipers. The brn/blk wire goes from the switch to the relay in the fuse box. You have to have the right wiring or the wiper motor will not work unless you bypass the relay with a jumper. You may be better off just getting a good used wiper motor with the original wiring.

I do have the option to have the original wiper motor rebuilt. I think that may be the best option I think.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Wiper Motor Wiring Question Reply with quote

TurboFlash wrote:
Al Capulco wrote:

I do have the option to have the original wiper motor rebuilt. I think that may be the best option I think.

maybe. Depends what they charge to rebuild but there's also frequently NOS German motors here in the classifieds or ebay. I bought one here for a 77 not long ago
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: