Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

front of me today and ruined my bumper, hood, front, passenger fender ripped off, passenger wheel bent, passenger tire popped, passenger suspension tweaked and the driver door is now misaligned. I cannot open the hood and I need to get in thereto get my belongings. I am at a loss. I do not know what to do since this car is truly my baby. I would post some photos, but I cannot even look at them right now. It is at a tow yard now and I do not know where to take it since I do not know any shops in the SF Bay Area that have experience with Things. I need a body shop that knows VWs. I looked up Smittys in Auburn and Skinners in Vacaville but it seems they specialize in Type II's.

I cannot tell you how many hours I have in this car and all the scars on my knuckles and body. This is my daily driver and I know every inch of this car.

I needed to vent.

Thanks
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

insured ?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

The Thing Shop in Arizona may be your best bet for replacement parts or call around to junk yards...
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

If you are willing to tow it, there is a vw shop south of Columbus, Ohio in Lancaster, Ohio. I know it is 700 miles away from you, but....

I have not used them, just picked up my Thing yesterday and will tow it down to them for an estimate on replacing the floor pans.

The place is called Resto Fab. I would take a look if I was you.

https://www.facebook.com/Resto-Fab-610878312418940/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Dang 74 Thing, I sure Hope you came out of that OK. Sorry your Thing got damaged sounds like it was a very bad accident! Shocked

I don't know any vw shops close to you but we do have one here in Virginia that I've been to for other things (skyline restorations, or aka Northside restorations) in Madison Va.

I hope you can get her fixed up again no problems, please keep us updated on the progress.

Please don't freak here but if it's not repairable, you could get another THING and maybe use the old one as a source of spare parts [at least for what's not damaged] That way you still have it and can still do your THING.
or
Maybe you could work on it on the side?

I had this happen to me with my first 71 Mustang, I still have it today even though it's thoroughly "trashed". I got t-boned a block from my house by a dude that ran a stop sign at 45-50-mph. Thank GOD my girlfriend at the time was not in the car, the passenger door got pushed into the passenger seat enough it could have been lethal. Now the rear springs are pokin' thru the trunk, it's major junk now from sitting in the woods since 87'.

Anyways, As time went on and I found myself the owner of a 51 Ford pickup, I learned the 71's drivetrain is perfect replacement for the old trucks drivetrain [if I ever get to that point]. So in a way i'd still have it.... Wink

Well, glad you're ok, let us know if we can help ya bro.

Remember, only 1 of you, but THINGs can be replaced.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Vhttp://www.thingsforthething.com/about/

yeah, they are down here in Garden Grove, but might be worth the trip
yelp:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/german-motor-works-garden-grove

never used them myself

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Make the guys insurance company buy you a nice replacement car in good condition, paint it to match your old, and then transfer over any items that make your old car special.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

www.calautoimage.com

Tom Kinney in Crescent City.
HUGO bOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Sad history... Sad
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

That just sucks to hear. However, the shop the guy that can't afford his own cow linked to has photos of them working on a '73 just last month, plus a whole bunch of other neat stuff. That's something at least.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Take it to Smitty's
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Jeff Gilland in Silicon Valley just had his repaired locally and was happy with the job. Gary Cooksy a retired body shop owner in Oakdale built a 2 door thing that came out really nice. He does work from his home now.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the autobody suggestions.

I am sitting here with my back jacked up after printing out the exploded diagrams with part numbers for the bodyshop.

Dealing with bodywork for an old car is a full time job in itself. Most places won't touch old cars since they prefer to do quickie ins claims on newer cars.

Luckily Smittys agreed to check it out so I had it towed 100 miles up there to have him go over it. It was hard just finding someone to do the tow and I had to pay the original tow plus two days of storage cost to the shop that originally took it only to tell me they don't do old cars-wtf-racket.

I need some leads on body panels if anyone has any. I need the pass qtr panel, front park with emblem, front upper section where the latch goes into, front jack mount area, underneath section where the bumper attaches to, a front bumper, a passenger fender, and one bumper over ride (not the big ones then are smaller like a late bus). That is just the start.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions-appreciate it. It has been a long week for me!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Too late now, but when you get your Thing fixed up, I highly recommend the "WebElectric DRL module".
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

The DRL-1 module connects to your turn signals and automatically controls when they should be on. During the day, they function as DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), but turn off when you turn on your lights. The normal turn signal and hazard functions remain intact at all times.

With daytime running lights, your car is much more visible to oncoming and cross traffic. I regularly can see eye contact with drivers who were about to pull right out in front of me.
Here's my car with the DRL's on:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope you get your Thing fixed up!
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately this kid was on her phone at the time. As one of the witnesses yelled at here didn't you see that bright orange car?

The repair shop gave me the estimate today. Hopefully the insurance company oks the repairs. It is going to take a while for this to be over.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Too late now, but when you get your Thing fixed up, I highly recommend the "WebElectric DRL module".
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

The DRL-1 module connects to your turn signals and automatically controls when they should be on. During the day, they function as DRL's (Daytime Running Lights), but turn off when you turn on your lights. The normal turn signal and hazard functions remain intact at all times.

With daytime running lights, your car is much more visible to oncoming and cross traffic. I regularly can see eye contact with drivers who were about to pull right out in front of me.
Here's my car with the DRL's on:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope you get your Thing fixed up!
Good luck, Mondshine

I installed an automatic headlight kit with DRL function during my restore. I agree its a good idea, although these cars are so unique there is usually no issue people seeing you coming Laughing (Unless they are on the phone)
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The repair shop gave me the estimate today. Hopefully the insurance company oks the repairs. It is going to take a while for this to be over.

Prices of Things seem to be on the rise the last few years, that should help I would think. I've actually had pretty good luck with car insurance, they've always been pretty realistic in my case. Once repairs are under way I'd be optimistic, not a hard car to work on. Should come out real nice.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

I got in an accident 2 months ago, and the body shop has been unable to source parts. We had a deal for a whole front clip and even paid for it but then the seller sold it out from under us.

I need the following:
Front Bumper
Passenger Fender
Front part where the emblem goes
Underneath tray where the bumper bolts
Passenger side qtr panel-just need up through 1/2 the tire not all the way to the door.

If you have anything PLEASE contact me!!!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I got in an accident 2 months ago, and the body shop has been unable to source parts. We had a deal for a whole front clip and even paid for it but then the seller sold it out from under us.

I need the following:
Front Bumper
Passenger Fender
Passenger side qtr panel-just need up through 1/2 the tire not all the way to the door.

I did a quick search in the Thing Parts classified section using "bumper" for title and body, and got 16 returns. Not all returns were front bumper. Heck, not all returns were bumpers, but some choices were there including someone selling a front clip that may resolve multiple needs. I repeated the action using "fender" and got 19 returns. Again, not all will be what you need, but your shop should be able to ascertain if some of the other choices are useful.

Good luck!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I have owned my Thing since 1992 and some kid turned left in Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

I need the following:
Front Bumper
Passenger Fender

Just look at the classifieds ever week or so, don't just look at parts but also look at cars as sometimes is it best to purchase an entire hulk, verses just the parts you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: