Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi rear disc brake
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacblue63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi rear disc brake Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
I've got no problems helping people wanting to do it right. You are going to be soooo happy with 4 wheel discs once you get it dialed in. Now that I know you have somewhat heavier 17" wheels with a LOT of tire contact, drum brakes are a waste in my opinion. That car will stop on a dime and not just slide on the road when the wheel locks up in a panic stop.

I've made hundreds of fully hydraulic crimped stainless braided brake lines for all sorts of applications, race cars, hot rods modified motorcycles... I specialized in hose and fittings while working at a hot rod shop. I can steer you in the right direction and tell you where you can get anything to plumb it. You can PM me if you need.

I don't have any experience running 17" wheels on a VW but even on airbags there's always a way. I sectioned my headlight buckets and if you or someone you know can weld decent, it's not too hard, just time consuming. I wouldn't be scared to section and stretch some fenders an inch or two if you really want to lay it out and have no fender rub.

Thank you again
Here is pic of my dubs front
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Committed to doing disc up front and
Changing all lines backside
thanks 👍
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi rear disc brake Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:

First off, the soft rubber hoses have a tendency to swell shut when old or contaminated, causing calipers and wheel cylinders to have all sorts of problems. You have extra soft lines to connect the hard line looping over the axle to connect to yet another hard line going to the caliper. That shit needs to go in the garbage can no matter what.

Go to any decent parts place and pick up new hardlines in the proper length to do one long metal line. They come in 10" increments, you are looking for 3/16" diameter metric/bubble flare 10mm x 1.0 thread size for stock VW fittings. The new hard lines are straight, so you will need to bend them, it's easy. If your calipers are not this thread, you need an adapter to covert it. Buy the new hardlines and compare the thread AND style of flare, they should match.

The next steps depend on if you want to do a proper 4 disc setup, so I need your input. Otherwise put drum setup back on but still throw those extra soft lines in the trash.

The brake kit has floating calipers, so there should be a soft line going to the caliper. A hard line will flex when the caliper moves and could eventually break.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi rear disc brake Reply with quote

vwfreek61 wrote:
roachdub58 wrote:

First off, the soft rubber hoses have a tendency to swell shut when old or contaminated, causing calipers and wheel cylinders to have all sorts of problems. You have extra soft lines to connect the hard line looping over the axle to connect to yet another hard line going to the caliper. That shit needs to go in the garbage can no matter what.

Go to any decent parts place and pick up new hardlines in the proper length to do one long metal line. They come in 10" increments, you are looking for 3/16" diameter metric/bubble flare 10mm x 1.0 thread size for stock VW fittings. The new hard lines are straight, so you will need to bend them, it's easy. If your calipers are not this thread, you need an adapter to covert it. Buy the new hardlines and compare the thread AND style of flare, they should match.

The next steps depend on if you want to do a proper 4 disc setup, so I need your input. Otherwise put drum setup back on but still throw those extra soft lines in the trash.

The brake kit has floating calipers, so there should be a soft line going to the caliper. A hard line will flex when the caliper moves and could eventually break.

My CB kit didn't even mention anything about the hoses or hardlines. It just says to "connect it". I don't trust a hose right by the hot exhaust not to melt. The OP setup looks hokey, is that how the Empi kit comes?

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pacblue63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi rear disc brake Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
vwfreek61 wrote:
roachdub58 wrote:

My CB kit didn't even mention anything about the hoses or hardlines. It just says to "connect it". I don't trust a hose right by the hot exhaust not to melt. The OP setup looks hokey, is that how the Empi kit comes?

Pm'd u bout front discs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: