Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me '67... (New pics 08/17/17)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: New to me '67... (New pics 08/17/17) Reply with quote

So, my wife's family bought a '67 when she was like 16. It's been in the family now for like 22 years! Lol! Needless to say, it hasn't really seen the road in those 22 years. Now our son is 13 and was looking for a first car. I suggested the Bug.
Alas, it's not what it once was, but hopefully it will be road worthy in the next couple months. It needs to have the front pan fixed, i think, to fix the gap in the hood.

I'll try to get it added to the '67 registry soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by 91talon on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Should be a fun project.
A couple of observations. The front fenders are earlier that 67. 67 is the first year of the vertical headlight. The side trim is from a earlier year as well. 67 was the first year of the narrow side trim. Seats are later highback. But it you like those for safety. Stay with them.
The dash knobs in a 67 are rubber coated.

Personal styling changes over the years were done by PO's all the time. If you like the look hag with it. If not, it fairly cheap to return it back to it's as delivered state in 67.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Nice looking car. Should be a fun project.
A couple of observations. The front fenders are earlier that 67. 67 is the first year of the vertical headlight. The side trim is from a earlier year as well. 67 was the first year of the narrow side trim. Seats are later highback. But it you like those for safety. Stay with them.
The dash knobs in a 67 are rubber coated.

Personal styling changes over the years were done by PO's all the time. If you like the look hag with it. If not, it fairly cheap to return it back to it's as delivered state in 67.

Good Luck.

Thanks.

I thought that a few '67's used earlier style fenders and lights? I'm not terribly worried either way, just trying to finish what the family started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

[\quote]

Thanks.

I thought that a few '67's used earlier style fenders and lights? I'm not terribly worried either way, just trying to finish what the family started.[/quote]

You're thinking of Euro 67's
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
[\quote]

Thanks.

I thought that a few '67's used earlier style fenders and lights? I'm not terribly worried either way, just trying to finish what the family started.

You're thinking of Euro 67's[/quote]

Ah. Thanks!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

Ooh another '67 resto!! Good luck and welcome to Thesamba!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

If this is going to be your sons car, keep him out in the garage doing the work on it. Those I know simply "given" their first car when they got their license ran them into the ground, or around a tree, some within days of receiving them. Those who were given the car years before they are able to drive, and did most of the work to have them ready when they did get their license, still have them today. I got the car in my avatar in 89 as a 15 year old.....
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If this is going to be your sons car, keep him out in the garage doing the work on it. Those I know simply "given" their first car when they got their license ran them into the ground, or around a tree, some within days of receiving them. Those who were given the car years before they are able to drive, and did most of the work to have them ready when they did get their license, still have them today. I got the car in my avatar in 89 as a 15 year old.....

Oh, he's working on it. I'm not giving my kid any car. That picture with him under the car, i was taking the picture with one hand and a gin and tonic in the other. Laughing
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

I wonder if this bug was a baja once in it's life? Looks like it has new clips on the front and rear?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I wonder if this bug was a baja once in it's life? Looks like it has new clips on the front and rear?

Honestly not sure. My wife just said they found a decent car to start with.
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

After doing a bit more research, I think the entire hood is from an earlier car, as well as the fenders.
Did they change the hood in '67 as well?

Sorry, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to early VW's.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

91talon wrote:
After doing a bit more research, I think the entire hood is from an earlier car, as well as the fenders.

The entire body is from an earlier car!
Notice . . .
Inside door handles.
Door latch strikers.

Open the engine lid and show us the rear apron panel . . .
Like Bill said, looks like both front and rear clips have been replaced.

Not to worry . . . just keep it in mind when ordering parts. Wink
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
91talon wrote:

The entire body is from an earlier car!
Notice . . .
Inside door handles.
Door latch strikers.

Open the engine lid and show us the rear apron panel . . .
Like Bill said, looks like both front and rear clips have been replaced.

Not to worry . . . just keep it in mind when ordering parts. Wink

Ugh... I hate messes like that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

It all depends on what you want to do with "the mess"? If you are going for a 100% correct original restoration, then non original cars are going to be more work to "get back to" what they once were. If not, then that is the perfect clean slate to do whatever you want without regrets of modifying a perfect original example. There are two sides to the coin.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

I love it. You get to repurpose something that was wasting away, get a youngster doing something more constructive than staring at electronic screens and teach him the value of working hard for something! Also keeps our hobby alive for years to come.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
I love it. You get to repurpose something that was wasting away, get a youngster doing something more constructive than staring at electronic screens and teach him the value of working hard for something! Also keeps our hobby alive for years to come.

Yes, I'm introducing him to something far more addictive and expensive than drugs: cars. Laughing Laughing
91talon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

Some more pics of the bug.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... (New pics 08/17/17) Reply with quote

Get out your welder, fix those cracks, and
keep on buggin'!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... (New pics 08/17/17) Reply with quote

Nice looking bug. Glad to see the younger generation wanting to get involved with the acvw's. Have fun Cool
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: New to me '67... Reply with quote

91talon wrote:

Drill a relief hole at the end of that crack. Then weld it up all along the length of the crack. If you don't have a welder. You can drag the car to a muffler/body shop and have them weld it up. After the repair you may need to check the alignment.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: