Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pan buggy, Sportster, or street legal UTV?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Building a buggy (pan, Sportster, or UTV)
Old School Pan Buggy
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
Sportster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
UTV (side-by-side) like a RZR
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Pan buggy, Sportster, or street legal UTV? Reply with quote

All,

I picked up an old school pan buggy recently because I wanted the back tires. As a side effect of the purchase, I have a decent pan buggy with swing axle and adjustable king pin beam. The pan has been shorted to a 75" wheelbase and that is a 2 gallon fuel tank!

I am wondering what is the "practical" plan of actions. I am planning to add an engine regardless.

1. Keep it as a pan buggy - Pros: very easy to do and maybe add a roll bar. Cons: has to be towed everywhere, not street legal

2. Make it into a Sportster - Pros: classic project and fun to build. Cons: dated look and may have limited appeal. I have not seen the Sportster plans and do not know how much work this requires.

3. Make it into a Street Legal UTV - Pros: updated project and interesting to build. Michigan law allows for Roadsters to be street legal. Cons: could look kind of Frankenstein-ish. Although using RZR parts could be incorporated.

Here are some photos to aid in discussion.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pan buggy, Sportster, or street legal UTV? Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
All,

I picked up an old school pan buggy recently because I wanted the back tires. As a side effect of the purchase, I have a decent pan buggy with swing axle and adjustable king pin beam. The pan has been shorted to a 75" wheelbase and that is a 2 gallon fuel tank!

I am wondering what is the "practical" plan of actions. I am planning to add an engine regardless.

1. Keep it as a pan buggy - Pros: very easy to do and maybe add a roll bar. Cons: has to be towed everywhere, not street legal

2. Make it into a Sportster - Pros: classic project and fun to build. Cons: dated look and may have limited appeal. I have not seen the Sportster plans and do not know how much work this requires.

3. Make it into a Street Legal UTV - Pros: updated project and interesting to build. Michigan law allows for Roadsters to be street legal. Cons: could look kind of Frankenstein-ish. Although using RZR parts could be incorporated.

Make a short Sportster. (Shortster)

Digital copy of plans - http://m.ebay.com/itm/Empi-Sportster-Plans-and-Specifications-VW-Dune-Buggy-/182296358170

Or go to Google & type in 'Empi Sportster plans' under Images to get an idea of fabrication requirements. I've got a set of the plans for 'future project' use.

bnc
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Pan buggy, Sportster, or street legal UTV? Reply with quote

Based on the limited feedback and the requirements to make this street legal in Michigan, I am going to think about this for a bit.

Regardless, I am going to replace the seats with Jeep seats and add a roll bar for safety. I will build up a 1600DP this fall and put it in the buggy.

Current thinking is perhaps a Burro look-alike. Ugly and simple to build.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pan buggy, Sportster, or street legal UTV? Reply with quote

The Burro sounds like a good choice. There is a Facebook page dedicated to Burros and Scott D is the Admin, and very helpful concerning specs/history on Burros.

They do really well off roading.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone

Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pan buggy, Sportster, or street legal UTV? Reply with quote

Hello Heywebonya,

Ultimately it's up to you to decide. How good are you in fabrication? Do you have a place to work on it?

What are the current laws in your state for modified vehicles?

Its great you have several ideas you are interested in.

Yes, Burros are not the most eye appealing but they have a huge following of racing proven rigs. The men who have them continue to add oil and gas to keep them going.

Yes, EMPI SPORTSTER owners are strange bunch, we take the idea that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Good luck on the project.
Tony
Bakersfield, CA. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: