Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
if the dizzy is in right.. #1 needs to go where #3 is .

If the "dizzy" is right, it should run (like it does).
Most type 3 engines have #1 at about the 7 O'clock position.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

So, after a few weeks of full time work and a few hours here and there working on the squareback i believe i have finally sorted out my stalling issue.

As I originally suspected and as many of you suggested i look into, It was indeed a fuel related issue. I went through everything from the tank and fuel lines from front to back. I found a lot of sediment / flakes inside the tank surrounding a broken interior tank fuel filter that was basically just laying down with sediment blocking a steady flow of fuel into the main line. Also, since my 69 was originally fuel injection, i had a return inlet on the bottom of the tank adjacent to the main fuel outlet. The PO had a line coming out of both heading to a T fitting then into the fuel line at the body. I plugged the return inlet/outlet so now i have only one line coming from the main outlet from the tank to the body. I was able to drive it around the neighborhood the other day quite a bit with no issues other than the fact that now my carbs need to be adjusted and i need to re time it. Planning on knocking that out today.

So, thanks for everybody's input and suggestions.
btw... The filter/screen that i removed from inside the tank... would you guys replace that? I saw that isp or somebody has them in stock. Do they just cause more problems then theyre worth? And how do you even install one?

cheers, benson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

good news - congrats

If you cleaned the tank, I personally wouldnt worry about the fuel sock in tank. What I would do is run a clear filter inline near the transmission in a place you can easily get to and replace
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

I put a new sock on mine. The old one was looking very fragile after 40 years when I pulled the tank after sitting for 7-8 years.

It's really a first line of defense. I would expect it to be a coarser weave than what's in the fuel pump, to be most effective.

It will prevent clogging if there is sediment in the tank, since sediment cannot totally block the inlet with the sock in place... you may stop running with a little gas still in the tank, but it won't clog. So I'd put one in next time your tank is low and you can do so without making too much of a mess.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I put a new sock on mine. The old one was looking very fragile after 40 years when I pulled the tank after sitting for 7-8 years.

It's really a first line of defense. I would expect it to be a coarser weave than what's in the fuel pump, to be most effective.

It will prevent clogging if there is sediment in the tank, since sediment cannot totally block the inlet with the sock in place... you may stop running with a little gas still in the tank, but it won't clog. So I'd put one in next time your tank is low and you can do so without making too much of a mess.

How are they installed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

Drain tank, unscrew collar, remove pipe fitting, being careful to catch any washers you find. On those I've done, there is no washer between the fitting and the tank; the soft metal "ring" at the base serves as a crush washer to seal it. There may be a washer between the fitting and the collar, however.

Usually the sock stays with the tank and you think it's missing! Look at the tank outlet and carefully pry the old one off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you have none, it either rusted away, broke off, or someone put a washer in its place; it will drip with nothing there.

Make sure there are no burrs, and that you install it straight, and do not overtighten.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Not firing on Cylinders 1 & 3... so it seems. Reply with quote

thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: