Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine upgrade
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootjohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

I own a 77 baywindow. I lack a lot of knowledge on vw bus' and engines, but have been reading and learning as much as I can. I would like opinions from this community of vw experts.

Starting with the engine what parts should I replace (can't afford a whole new engine right now) that would make it run better or parts that are more likely needed replacing after all these years to get better mpg or overall performance. I understand its not a drag car, but I wan't to replace anything you think will cause a rougher ride due to years of wear or just due to better options today then was available in 1977.

also, recommend aftermarket performance exhaust?

Thank you for all the help. I truly appreciate it as I learn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

Maybe you can start listing down what engine is in your 77.

Is it a type 1 or type 4 engine?
What have you done to it, and why do you think it needs parts replacement.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

If your engine runs and you don't know much about them, don't think about anything that would be considered an 'upgrade' for now. Just pay attention to every little hose and bolt and make everything that you DO have currently - work as well as it can by being sure it's setup properly.

If you don't already, get this manual:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you have time, take pics of your stuff and upload it here.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

I have to say my stock 2.0 FI engine is pretty nice.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

There are very few bolt-on "upgrades" that improve performance much over stock. If your engine is in good condition, you would be surprised by how much you can upgrade it's performance by proper tuning and updated maintenance.
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

From other threads I've read, replace all the hoses and make sure all the tins are setup correctly/replace missing tins. Check your brakes and anything that has to do with your brakes. A safer ride is a better ride. Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

Find a mentor who has gone thru this already and whose bus / work you respect. Work with them privately so they can mentor you to improve your bus. This forum is great but you will go nuts listening to 20 different opinions to each question. Think of it like a journey - there are many paths that reach the same destination. Like any car the repairs will never end if you drive it a lot- although they will become maintenance instead after awhile. A mentor can assist you thru the many obstacles you will face like poor quality replacement parts, or no longer available parts etc.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

barefootjohnny wrote:
I own a 77 baywindow. I lack a lot of knowledge on vw bus' and engines, but have been reading and learning as much as I can. I would like opinions from this community of vw experts.

Starting with the engine what parts should I replace (can't afford a whole new engine right now)

If you can't afford a new engine save your money until you can. The "come on baby, just the tip for just a minute" approach doesn't work when it comes to engine work...you're all in...or you're not.

Focus on making yours run as good as possible....don't cobble up anything thinking you'll be ahead...it doesn't work that way

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

You can also get some better answers if you post pictures of you engine. The type 4 guys (if it's a type 4 engine) can look it over and point out any obvious concerns or issues. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine upgrade Reply with quote

The stock exhaust keeps up a certain back pressure that makes the bus
generate decent torque right where a 3,000 lb bus needs it, plus decent
fuel use & quiet. Don't toss it if it is in decent shape.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: