Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Some pretty cool info about Eclipses in this video!

Link
[/vimeo]

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

That WAS a good video-thanks!

I downloaded the APP and will check it out. There is a free one, but hey...kick the surgeon $1.99 for the full app as it's probobly full of info.

Just heard that Costco in Bend ran out of fuel yesterday.

We are normally a 3-5 day build time from 2 of our transmission suppliers. We are now 14-18 working day build time dur to all of the orders comming in from stranded out of towners and failed transmissions on thier way to see the event nation wide.

A customer just mentioned that Prineville ran out of fuel this morning.

This is going to more interesting watching humans move around than the moon passing in front of the sun.
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

[quote=

This is going to more interesting watching humans move around than the moon passing in front of the sun.[/quote]

This is exactly why we are leaving our home, scheduled to be directly under view, flying to San Diego to chill returning Tuesday. The Oregon coast has already been absolute chaos, esp the 101, all week. I want nothing to do with it. But, have fun!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/08/this_california_man_wants_to_h.html

A fun read
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

South Carolina weather looking bad. If you are planning that trip, you could be cloud watching
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
South Carolina weather looking bad. If you are planning that trip, you could be cloud watching

Outlook for the coast is not good but inland is supposed to be less bad, so we might be okay.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Roads are a bit more busy than normal around here, but I was able to knock down ~150 miles of 2 and 4 lane highway mostly on the cruise control at the speed limit today, I think about half the vehicles headed into teton valley were huge travel trailers or monster motorhomes, tons and tons of farm fields set up as "RV parks" so there should be enough space for everyone to park...

Forecast is looking decent here, well, 10 days of sun in the forecast, but monday morning is the one day/time that may be partly cloudy...

The smoke from forest fires has diminished massively though at least.

Samba ad here.

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Roads are a bit more busy than normal around here, but I was able to knock down ~150 miles of 2 and 4 lane highway mostly on the cruise control at the speed limit today, I think about half the vehicles headed into teton valley were huge travel trailers or monster motorhomes, tons and tons of farm fields set up as "RV parks" so there should be enough space for everyone to park...

Forecast is looking decent here, well, 10 days of sun in the forecast, but monday morning is the one day/time that may be partly cloudy...

The smoke from forest fires has diminished massively though at least.

I just downloaded the app (thanks for the video!) and am heading to Driggs from Bozeman area Sunday morning. Hoping for the best as I have no idea what traffic will be like.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Some pretty cool info about Eclipses in this video!

Link
[/vimeo]

Great video! Looking forward to seeing what video/picture/stories you get from your high perch at 11k'. I want to see some shadow lines, hope you get good weather!

To all you eclipse adventurers Cool here in SE Alaska we'll be enjoying the morning in typical grey low overcast wet weather well off the path of totality - but will be living it vicariously through you all. Looking forward to hearing about it the day(s) after! Eclipse stories and human stories, bound to be some good reading!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

The drive from Auburn CA to our home in Bend yesterday was pretty interesting. The wife and I had fun cataloging driver types (butt-sniffer, weaver, blocker, clueless, regulator, VIP, and a few more) .. only one 45 minute full stop on 97 for a Sprinter that had apparently rear-ended a truck a couple miles ahead. (We surmised that based on the Sprinter's crushed front end, but no 2nd damaged vehicle in sight.)

Further up the road, another SUV had been rear-ended .. passed by just as the PO'd victim was throwing one of his totaled mountain bike atop a pile of other crushed bikes and equipment.

The kicker is that a huge fire just south of Bend may completely mask the entire eclipse event. We'll see what happens over the next couple days. Although only a 90 minute drive northeast on 26, it'll probably be a 10 hour return home. Deal with that zoo for 2 minute totality vs stay at home for 99% coverage. hmm ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

My drive envelope is soggy. Nearest drive to totality is 7 hours - Jefferson City Missouri. Would actually be possible to do there and back in the same day, but that would be irrational, considering I have a Westy. Issue I am facing is that the acceptable drive distance would probably be no more than 12 hours. Thats Casper Wyoming or (near)Chattanooga Tennessee. Im going rather bonkers trying to figure out the best forecast provider.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

^^^ Looks like a toss-up... http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/eclipse-weather-forecast-best-west-east-49299533

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Great video! Looking forward to seeing what video/picture/stories you get from your high perch at 11k'. I want to see some shadow lines, hope you get good weather!

As of now the forecast is for totally clear, we've had blazing blue skies for the last 3-4 days too, so as long as this holds we are looking GREAT!

I'll post up some pics and video in this thread Smile

gears wrote:
(butt-sniffer, weaver, blocker, clueless, regulator, VIP, and a few more)

LMAO!

Samba ad here.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Quote:
The wife and I had fun cataloging driver types (butt-sniffer, weaver, blocker, clueless, regulator, VIP, and a few more)

That is great.
My cousin and I created a game while unsuccessfully hitch hiking a kayak shuttle years ago. We call it "mustache, no-mustache". You have to call it by stereotyping the car/truck before you can make out the hair (beards and goats are a no-mustache). People's reaction to your reaction adds to the fun.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Now that we're home we've learned that the source of smoke is 3 separate fires. Somehow I'm not surprised ...
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Mcminnville, OR. We are in the path of totality. I don't live here but I don't see anything out of "the ordinary".

Headed for MogFest in Sheridan (20 minutes away).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Despite the links below, it seems clearer this afternoon, so we still may head north through Ochoco ..

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/us/oregon-wildfire-eclipse/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/oreg...e-49304784
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Just arrived in Casper Wy and everything seems pretty sleepy so far.
I think many people changed their plans because it looked like it was going to be cloudy on Monday.
Updated forecast looks clear , hope that holds.
Saw several places on the side of the freeway setup for tent and RV camping. Not many campers in place yet. Might head to a place in Douglas that has been advertizing on the radio offering camping, glasses and a chicken dinner.
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Heading out to Blairsville, GA 77 mile trip hoping not to take more than a few hours.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar Eclipse in the USA 2017, Making Plans? Reply with quote

Ok so Casper is VERY cool. The town was quiet because everyone was downtown in an area that the have cordoned off for vendors , bands and general festivities.
I seem to have arrived before the masses so everything is still available. I pulled into a place that said "Parking $10 dollars " I asked how long that was for and was politely told it was unlimited. I told them I needed a spot for my van for the whole weekend.
"That will be 10 dollars"
A few places are charging huge amounts for stuff but not very many. In fact for the most part, things seem a bit underpriced.
There looks like tons of street parking near the local parks but not sure what law enforcement would think and there are a bazillion cops !
Protapottys everywhere
After I got parked I was even given the wifi password.
For a guy winging it with no plan or reservations , I feel like I am doing pretty well!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: