Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop outs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Pop outs Reply with quote

I currently have regular back side windows. What all do I need to get in order to change to pop out windows? Mine currently have just the black rubber seal. No chrome(plastic) trim. BTW it's a 74 super beetle.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

I THINK all cars have the holes in the front of the rear windows for hinges and the screw holes at the back for the pop out latches...

You would need the pop out Windows, hinge hardware, latches, plus the Windlace that holds the headliner around the window. All of that can be purchased from various stores such as CIP1.

Look here: http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y...amp;page=2

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
I THINK all cars have the holes in the front of the rear windows for hinges and the screw holes at the back for the pop out latches...

You would need the pop out Windows, hinge hardware, latches, plus the Windlace that holds the headliner around the window. All of that can be purchased from various stores such as CIP1.

Look here: http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y...amp;page=2

You could do this and get it all done in one stop shopping. But then you might have to deal with aftermarket poor quality/fitting parts.

Search the samba classifieds and CL for an OG set of pop out windows. You'll likely have to replace the outer seal. But the components are better engineered and fit right.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

You need the screws for the latches, too, as well as screws for the hinges.

There's a good YouTube video of the installation. Very thorough. The guy has an orange bug. Watch it.

Wolfsburg West sells the hinge bars, the front hinge covers--black or white--the screws, the wilting, etc.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

Yea, source your stuff from WW. I did this a while back, but definitely better off buying some used originals. The new kits are garbage and ill fitting. Just make sure you have all the parts and the threaded plate that goes in the hinge. Yes, all cars should have the holes for it. May need to cut your headliner to get the hinges in. Poke some holes in the rear to find the screw holes for the latch hinges. Also make sure you don't forget the counter sunk screws.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also the rubber is a bitch to get in the frame, but doable.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

I installed some OG pop outs in my 69 not long ago. They came with machine screws that have really fine threads, and were a pain in the ass to get in, so I got some sheet metal screws and they worked perfectly. You should be able to feel the holes for the hinges and latches thru your head liner, just takes a small screw driver or punch to put the holes you need in it. Both the glass to frame, and frame to body seals had bad dry rot in mine, so I replaced them both. I did the install by myself and it was pretty painless.
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

i put them in my 68 and 72. 68 did not have the holes predrilled but the 72 did. can locate the holes with a pin if headliner installed.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

The new kits stink. Not worth the effort. Poor fitting.

I have always purchased my sets off of ebay or tS classified. You can get them raw, in need of work. Or you can find them already set up with new seals. I always purchase them with the seals already installed. Be sure you get the glass with the Sekurit label on the glass!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

Finding the holes for the back hinge is pretty easy, using a pin. Once you found one, line up the rear hinge to easily find the other two.

Search Death Foam to see the interiors of late bugs. You can eyeball the holes for the rear hinges when perusing the death foam pictures. That'll get you in the ball park.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
You need the screws for the latches, too, as well as screws for the hinges.

There's a good YouTube video of the installation. Very thorough. The guy has an orange bug. Watch it.

Wolfsburg West sells the hinge bars, the front hinge covers--black or white--the screws, the wilting, etc.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Very informative. Answered a lot of questions I had about this

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pop outs Reply with quote

You have a 1974 so you will need the larger Windows. They come in larger windows and smaller Windows. The earlier bugs use the smaller windows and the later bugs use the larger windows. Also, the latches come in early and late. I think the early ones had four screws the later ones had three screws anyway whichever way it is pay attention to which latches you're buying to make sure you get the right ones for the later model bugs. You will have the holes already waiting for you under your headliner but you want to have the latches that match those holes so get the late latches. The hinges for the windows to the frame I think are the same on all years.

I had to get the Hinge kit and when I got it the machine screws were the right size threads and whatnot but they were very very short and I was not able to get them started. Once the hinges are installed and clamped together I'm sure the screws would fit but you just can't get them started because nothing is as tight as it would be if installed by the factory. So what I did was I went up to Lowe's with one of the screws and matched up a set of machine screws that were a couple millimeters longer. And I used those and they were great

I did this to my bug with a set of used windows I got off of Craigslist and I love it it makes a world of difference in how the car rides cuz the air just flows right through it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: