Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 F150 I6?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Looking for advice.
Somebody in my neighborhood is selling a 1984 F150 I6 4 on the floor with only 50,000 mi on it and the Neighbor I normally go to to borrow a Truck from is moving. Which is giving me the terrible idea I should buy this thing.

I don't know trucks...

Supposedly a 91year old relative died and this thing is 1 owner was garaged and rarely driven. The old dude did a fairly "good" rattle can paint job that doesn't seem to be hiding rust but it does look like there may be some bondo work. It is amazingly rust free...Seller is asking $4000 obo, so far truck guy friends are saying it sounds like a maybe at $2000

I have little need for this thing but as a homeowner it can be nice to have a truck handy. It could definitely hual some stuff my wrx sedan and bug can't. It would also be nice to transport the dog in a dirty old truck instead of the good car.

However it's 2wd so not the best winter beater (in Snowy CT). Not an off-roader so no new hobby there. The Home Depot truck is $20/hr... also Id prefer a 60's SJ Jeep if I'm making a stupid pickup purchase Rolling Eyes

Assuming it's a solid runner.... how stupid would it be to buy this thing? Is this just a stupid distraction from bug restoration.
(Hoping it's gone when I get back from my business trip)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

4000.00 is 200 hours at 20/hr....sounds cheaper to do that than register/insure/maintain a truck you'll never really use.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

50,000 miles is just getting started for 300 straight 6. They can go 250K without a rebuild. Damn shame they still don't make the 300 straight 6.

The problem I had with mine was it had a 2.43 R&P gear. I had to replace the clutch & PP every few years because when loaded or pulling the trailer, you had to slip the clutch a little to get her going. .
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Do you have to smog check it every two years?
Do you have a place not on a public street, to keep it?
Can you afford $600 a year to insure & register it?
Will your wife/girlfriend have issues with it hanging around?
Just how much of that primer is covering rust?
Do you have a battery charger?

If I didn't live in a HOA I'd consider getting a beater truck if one fell in my lap.
Having a truck around the property can be handy, and you can also tow with it, like if you rent a ditch witch, or haul stuff to the dump.
I'd want the truck to be simple as possible, so I6 4speed Ford 150 for $2500 to $3500 would be good.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

A truck that age (even low mile) will start eating brake cylinders, coolant hoses and other rubber parts around now, better check out Rock Auto and see if it's a parts orphan or if you can still get things for it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

All of the above! If it was a beater for $1000/1500, sure, why not. But $4,000 isn't a beater price... unless you're looking at vintage VWs.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HankScorpio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Trucks don't cost money they make money

Link
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Older ford 150 pickups generally have very low book value, sub 1000$, ALTHOUGH, this one is so old that it's value may be coming back up for being a classic, and low miles, and if it's just before OBD1 then that preferable, I'd say.

IMO the ford I6 is the best part of it.

Clutch pedals and clutch cylinders often cause trouble.
A co-worker had one rusted out such that the seatbelts were hanging underneath as he drove.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

I've owned trucks, different makes and models since 1980. They are indespensible and function for many different uses not just towing or moving. Ford F-150s actually qualifies for a discount from insurance providers because of the demographic of who buys and uses them. The only downside is gas mileage but parts are common and plentiful. I went through a phase in 1990s where I drove nothing but F-150s, namely SVT Lightning models. The 300 six engine is bulletproof and has seven main bearings. Contrary to popular belief the front end especially brakes are weak on these 1/2 ton models and they ride like a hay wagon. Buy a truck and you'll be amazed at how many new friends you'll meet. Just last week I used my truck as a makeshift workbench to tear down a greasy engine all while sitting down in a chair, trip to car wash and it's ready for next assignment. I will never be without a truck, it's just too versatile and useful to me, it's another tool in my toolbox.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Would give anything to have my '84 F100 back. Good solid truck from when trucks were trucks, not minivans with an open air trunk.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Pics?

Here's one on ebay for the same price that you can use to compare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-F-150-8-Long-Bed-/232450921815
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Older ford 150 pickups generally have very low book value, sub 1000$, ALTHOUGH, this one is so old that it's value may be coming back up for being a classic, and low miles, and if it's just before OBD1 then that preferable, I'd say.

IMO the ford I6 is the best part of it.

Clutch pedals and clutch cylinders often cause trouble.
A co-worker had one rusted out such that the seatbelts were hanging underneath as he drove.

I must admit I was skeptical about prices quoted so I went over to www.autotrader.com did a 500 miles radius search within my zip code and found 173 trucks of all makes priced between 1,000 and 2,000 dollars. Could not go lower than 1,000, not an option in search parameters. Only found 1 truck listed at 1,000 asking price and it was a ford. The surprising thing was a few 3/4 ton trucks and more than a few less than 20 years old. Several with low miles too. They really do exist.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 F150 I6? Reply with quote

Just for comparison, I recently bought a 1991 Chevy 1/2ton 4WD long bed with the 350 and auto trans. Just under 49K actual miles, base model Scottsdale, the only real options being cruise control and limited slip diff. I paid $4K.

I have owned an Econoline van with the I6, and it was a good engine, but the truck in question ain't worth $4K. Maybe half, or less.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: