Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEUSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Wiring question Reply with quote

WIRE SIZE Question
Hello
Working on the Race Car some. Got a Switch Panel from Jegs but most wireing harness are set up to run from box to front of car on VW well its to the back LOL
main power will come from Bat. ( 12 Volt) to 1st(Main kill) in car then run to (outside kill) back to power block. Going to use 2 gauge standard cable on that...
my question is about what size wire should be coming out of box to each item here is a list.
1 From power block into panel no more than 8 foot depending on where i mount Power block.
2 Starter Button from box to starter ( 17 foot wire run)
3 Ign. plan to Power MSD, Coil, Tach and Two step off one switch ( may run wire to power block split off that? (17 foot wire run)
4 Rear Tail light (17 foot wire run)
5 Fuel Pump its a product engineering race pump (8 foot wire run)
6 LED driving light (10 foot Wire Run)
Thank in advance for advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

SEUSS wrote:
WIRE SIZE Question
Hello
Working on the Race Car some. Got a Switch Panel from Jegs but most wireing harness are set up to run from box to front of car on VW well its to the back LOL
main power will come from Bat. ( 12 Volt) to 1st(Main kill) in car then run to (outside kill) back to power block. Going to use 2 gauge standard cable on that...
my question is about what size wire should be coming out of box to each item here is a list.
1 From power block into panel no more than 8 foot depending on where i mount Power block.

Probably 10 gauge maybe 8 as this is main power run from battery to all your distribution...

2 Starter Button from box to starter ( 17 foot wire run)

Probably 14 gauge (hi amp -prevent voltage drop)

3 Ign. plan to Power MSD, Coil, Tach and Two step off one switch ( may run wire to power block split off that? (17 foot wire run)

Probably 12 gauge ...

4 Rear Tail light (17 foot wire run)

16 gauge depending on lights if tail lights are single filiment or LED combined draw is only 5-6 amps (less for LEDS) ...

5 Fuel Pump its a product engineering race pump (8 foot wire run)

On fuel pump run a controller for safety and it usually only needs 16 gauge for control, but may be 14 gauge for actual pump power...

Suggest this for fuel pump controller...

http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

6 LED driving light (10 foot Wire Run)

probable 14 gauge (I run 12 gauge for H4 incandescents)...May want to break out driving lights in sets of two... If one circuit fails you still have two others...

Thank in advance for advice.

IF you use all one wire size it makes things simpler because you can order bulk wire in about 5-6 different colors and if you have to splice or what ever there is no guessing on what size...

Also it helps to know how much current draw (amps (or watts)) each device or system requires so you can use wire sized accordingly... I tend to use at least one gauge larger wire in performance vehicle over "street" vehicle for relibility factor...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you are going to use bulk wire go to possibly one of these sites listed below and buy bulk maybe 50 to 100 (plus) feet of several different colors or 500 feet of one color of one gauge (But get number tags to indent each wire).... I prefer multiple colors

https://www.delcity.net/store/Wire-&-Cable/

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1453/Wire-Cable/

https://www.waytekwire.com/products/1474/Wire-Markers/

With numbered wire markers each wire get same number at both ends... So if you are looking at #7 behind dash, you need to find #7 at its other end...

IF race car get quality switches (see sources mentioned above) stay away form FLAPS (made in china) electrical stuff...

Also if you are running AL82 type alternator... You need to consider this DPST cut off switch so alternator does not cause a "run on" situation even if battery disconnected..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
SEUSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

Thank You for the advice, I started to buy a painlees harness and cut it up But decided some good advice and build my own lots cheaper and get what i need not extra.. Thanks again.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

SEUSS wrote:
Thank You for the advice, I started to buy a painlees harness and cut it up But decided some good advice and build my own lots cheaper and get what i need not extra.. Thanks again.

Be aware that some of the sources for wire will actually let you chose gauge, color and insulation type and actually print the circuit designation you want on wire ( just like painless and others) or color stripe on wire... Do not know if there is cost/volume minimum though.... I usually just try to use the multiple colors method and you can actually uses colored tape band on each end to be more specific what circuit it is when when duplicate colors... You can get many colored high quality electrical tapes at local hardware of building supplies.... The make a set of red, green, blue, white tapes for lead designations in AC house or commercial wiring where all the main leads from meter to breaker panel are all same color (black).... IF you use a blue wire and put a red tape on it is unique from a blue wire with a white tape on it... Color band only need to be "near" connection point...

Might also look here for made up harness, lots of guy in "off road" and "kit car" forum have good things to say about this company...

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits

Whatever you do.... Make schematic and document your harness as later, when it has a problem (hope not) and it's head scratching time a diagram and list of wire runs (with colors or number codes) is big help... As build book document car build and and amy later changes and adjustments ( I did this with my auto cross buggy and when I sold it new owner was thrilled to know hat adjustments and changes that were tried previously and how car evolved)...

Example of my generic harness for minimal sand rail/woods buggy... Only thing it lacks is wire colors or number designations...

Done with lowly simple MS Paint... All symbols where just copy and paste from various sources...

You may want to stroll through this part of forum for more informations.... Some of links are now dead as it was started a long time ago... And things change....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344781

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

Quote:
10 gauge maybe 8 as this is main power run from battery to all your distribution

A pair of 10 gauge wires carry more current than a single 8 gauge
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring question Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
10 gauge maybe 8 as this is main power run from battery to all your distribution

A pair of 10 gauge wires carry more current than a single 8 gauge

Seriously doubt he will need more capacity than a 8 gauge will supply...

Dale

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: