Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Gurus...Any Insight?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Transmission Gurus...Any Insight? Reply with quote

I have numerous shifting issues with my 01P, but I'm uncertain if they are related to a central problem, or each are their own problem:

-The transmission exhibits slow engagement from R/N to Drive. It will engage on its own without using the throttle.
-Harsh 1-2 upshift. Started as a shudder as 2nd gear engaged, quickly became worse and now the shift is a hard slam into 2nd with an RPM flare.
- 2-3 shift is starting to develop a slight shudder as 3rd gear engages.
-Occasional hard 3/4 upshift (more often than not?), and hard 4/3 downshift.
-During acceleration or when under load in the 1500-3000 rpm range, the transmission makes a lot of noise. I *think* it sounds like a pressure washer spraying the inside of the transmission (but I'm otherwise at a loss to describe it). Above 3000 rpm, the noise goes away. The noise doesn't occur when the transmission is in neutral, whether the car is moving or not.

Prognosis:
-I have checked the line pressure with an electrical sender. It is normal at idle when in drive, increases with RPM (my gauge peaks out at 100 psi, so I can't verify what the actual pressure is at stall, or across the entire RPM range), and the pressure drops with each gear-shift, suggesting that the EV6 solenoid is working.
-I have also back-traced the TCM output for the EV5 solenoid (the TCM is grounding EV5 during the 1/2 shift) and checked the impedance and operation of the EV5 solenoid. Both appear fine.
-I have replaced the ribbon cable.
-I just reinstalled my valve-body after it was rebuilt by Cool Air VW in Missouri (new oversized Sonnax valves); solenoids all checked out. All of the problems above persist with the rebuilt valve-body.
-All of the problems occur if I shift the transmission manually.
-I do not detect any slipping in any gear.

So, for the transmission gurus, what do you make of these shifting issues? At this point, my plan is to pull the transmission and rebuild it. However, since it doesn't appear to be slipping in gear, and the valve-body rebuild didn't improve the shifting issues whatsoever, is there something I've overlooked or should go back and check?

I don't think electrickery works that way
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Gurus...Any Insight? Reply with quote

Hardly a Guru but for what it's worth...

Regarding the noise are you sure it's from the tranny and not just a weird heat shield or internal cat. vibration?

Obviously your conditions are outside the normal adaptive parameters but what happens when you re-adapt the tcm via basic settings? Not sure if most scan tools can do this properly.

Sounds like you're already prepared for the worst but good luck.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Gurus...Any Insight? Reply with quote

gakali wrote:

Obviously your conditions are outside the normal adaptive parameters but what happens when you re-adapt the tcm via basic settings? Not sure if most scan tools can do this properly.

Can VCDS-lite accomplish this?

I don't think electrickery works that way
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Gurus...Any Insight? Reply with quote

I believe the registered version can. 04 basic settings > Group 00 > Activate > WOT for at least 3 seconds.

It's sort of a strange process as sometimes you don't see anything happen on the screen and it leaves you wondering if anything actually happened. My scanner just gives a quick little blink at the bottom of the screen after completion. VCDS may be different.

Also it's imperative that you push past the kickdown detent at about 95% pedal travel to initiate the setting.

Not to imply that this reset will help you but it should be done anyway when a valve body is replaced or renewed.

1999 Eurovan
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Gurus...Any Insight? Reply with quote

Actually this is performed in the TCM.

Can VCDS access group 2, transmission electronics?

1999 Eurovan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: