Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
Been just about 2 years for mine and it's holding up just fine, not a single issue. Yes, you have to order small quantities from a distributor. You can get that info from the website or by calling the number on the site iircc. I can take a look at my paperwork when I get home to see where I got mine if you need the info, but different distributors service different regions.

Hi. What's the longest time you drove straight (Stop only to refuel) without having any problem with the solenoid? I heard these solenoids overheat in a few hours of continious use.
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackivory69 wrote:
ewdb92 wrote:
Been just about 2 years for mine and it's holding up just fine, not a single issue. Yes, you have to order small quantities from a distributor. You can get that info from the website or by calling the number on the site iircc. I can take a look at my paperwork when I get home to see where I got mine if you need the info, but different distributors service different regions.

Hi. What's the longest time you drove straight (Stop only to refuel) without having any problem with the solenoid? I heard these solenoids overheat in a few hours of continious use.

I've driven 6 hours on a hot summer Virginia day in one shot (quick fuel stop in there somewhere probably) and also many longer distance trips with 4-5 hour driving segments (have two young kids so that's about my limit) over the course of several days. We've also sat in summer traffic (yay DC!) for a few hours on hot afternoons. Never had an overheating issue with the valve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Here is my custom tank connector from last year.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just noticed the tank fitting - did you fab it up yourself? How did you make it?

I'm getting parts together to put in a solenoid on my 71 bus... looking to make a clean install similar to yours, but not as full-featured, lol.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

Based on the desertbusman design, I'm collecting parts to mirror it. My mockup started with barbs and fuel hose, but that seemed silly so will go with steel hardlines and AN fittings. That said, I'm starting to question the complexity of this design and all the potentially points of failure I'm introducing.

Anyone ever been stranded by a failed solenoid shut-off setup? That manual backup valve is nice, but adds fittings, etc. Any experiences out there to help me decide best route?

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

After see this thread when it first was posted, I realized I had most of this stuff in the shop somewhere. I mounted it above the front slope of the transmission. It worked good for a while- then engine developed its own problems so parked it--

Having just sold the bus, I thought I would fire it up and see how bad it might be- that whole system of pump, shut off and pressure regulator worked fine after sitting for 5 years-[img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

There is no simple way to get around all the fittings it takes to make a setup like this unfortunately. OEM designs are all machined pieces that eliminate adapters or off the shelf fittings, so unless you're good at tig and milling, this is kind of the best you can do ya know?

I have a similar setup under my '71 bus.. used an AN adapter off the tank from Aircooled, elbowed inboard to a ball valve, then hit a tee to supply fuel to engine and BN4 heater. Probably have six different fittings just there alone, and my biggest issue with that many fittings is LEAKS because I have a seep from one of them.

Maybe you could cut the threads off the fittings and have them tig'd together?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

Any suggestions for fuel cut off for FI late bays?
(sold - but not forgotten)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Any suggestions for fuel cut off for FI late bays?

Same thing, but you'll need two (return line).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

It's awfully tight quarters down there. Has anyone done this? Pics?
(sold - but not forgotten)
sblu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

Folks the fuel shut off valve is getting hot. Anyone seeing this?
Voltage is 12 V
Current is around 0.9A
bolt at the end of the valve is at 65C (Centigrade)
Valve body is 55C
Black fitting is 45C
Thanks
sblu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

to follow up on this, I called the supplier and they talked w/ tech support. The answer is that it is within UL spec. However, i found that lowering the input voltage to the solenoid valve decreased the temperature drastically (luke warm). I'm acquiring parts to use lower voltage
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank Shut Off Solenoid Install Reply with quote

I did some research on a shut off valve for my heater and found a ball valve was better than a solenoid valve as it only used power to open or to close so no heat issues.

You'd have to rig up some sort of relay system to have it linked to open and close with the ignition key though, so not as simple of a hook up as a solenoid valve. Also, not sure about whether it is okay to use with gasoline or not. It says diesel is okay but not sure about gas.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: