Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, got a bit side tracked.. went into the front and cleaned and tinkered with the wiring/fusebox connections. I didn't get any good pics of it but the red wire on the very first fuseblock has a large green wire "piggybacked" off of it. Its not stock, but I have no idea where its going once it leaves the block. It goes up on top of the radio and onto the passenger side of the car.. Really would love to have the sheckles to buy and install a wiring harness and get it over with..

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Well.. I quit for the day.. maybe the week. Pulled the wires and cleaned the connections put it back together, hooked the battery back up and now the god damned ignition doesn't even power up. Fuses are good. battery power at the connections.. just turn the key and there is no power.. its too damned hot, I've got sweat pouring into my eyes and now this.. maybe in October the temps will drop below 100 degrees. This is friggen ridiculous! Everything is turning to sheit and I'm pretty fed up with it!

Crises averted.. I swear I didn't move / relocate any wires.. But that red/green combo goes to the ignition. Embarassed

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Well.. For the time being I have chicken shitted out on the 6 V for now. I really need to get the bug on the road and until I'm ready for stripping the car for paint, I don't want to pull an new wiring harness. I bought a Alternator conversion kit and am currently in the process of installing it. The humidity and heat is back.. so its a bear out there. I go all of the 6 volt stuff off the engine area and am taking a breather / water break and will go start trying to get all the new stuff back in there.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Blood offering to the VW gods, bought some tools that I needed but will probably never use again (36mm socket, gear puller, etc) but the new alternator is about ready to go back into the car. The main issue will be trusting the wiring. I have never had a VW with an alternator and all of the video's I can find show the wiring for later model cars with the regulators under the rear seat. The wiring is my biggest worry. All of the grunt stuff is about over for now. I did visit the VW graveyard for some help. The new generator stand need to have the old old filler installed, I looked for the tool do do it.. it was $13.00... I had the shop remove and reinstall the old filler onto the new stand for $10.00.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Pretty stoked! Even though I feel like a sell out to some degree.. the Bug is now starting and every single light works, turn signals work, the horn works. I'm pretty happy. Turns out that I just took forever to get the carb full of fuel and it fired up .. the timing is a bit wonky and the choke doesn't work.. I loosened the 6 volt choke and its not hooked up. but man does it crank and start!! Shocked

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Well, the good things have been stated.. now the inevitable bad has shown up. I got the bug started several times but I cannot get the engine to come to idle off nor even really run without being at the choke closing it to get the engine running. No backfiring or missing, but the fuel has to be flowing hard for the engine to stay running.

I did move the distributor during the install of the generator stand.. but I have set the timing three times. First at 10 Degrees BTDC and then 7.5 BTDC twice

No adjustments were made to the carburetor at all. Just removed and replaced.

I tried to get the engine up to operating temp to mess with it.. but it just isn't wanting to do much but high idle with the choke all the way shut.. back to being bummed out.. dammit!!! Not talking

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Did you happen to install the throttle cable at the carb too tight? It could be holding the throttle open just a bit.

What distributor is in the engine? It matters as you set the timing to the distributor.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Did you happen to install the throttle cable at the carb too tight? It could be holding the throttle open just a bit.

I checked that today.. I loosened the set screw and made sure the cable was at a "neutral" position.. doesn't seem to be doing much. The choke has to be disconnected because its still a six volt unit.. i did hook it up today with predictable results.. the choked opened very quickly and the unit got pretty damned hot but that normal I think as there is double the voltage going to it.

wcfvw69 wrote:
What distributor is in the engine? It matters as you set the timing to the distributor.

Its what came with the car, seems stock. its a vacuum advanced, changed nothing on it other than moved it while trying to shoehorn in the generator stand.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

It now strikes me that this car was doing this the day I tried (and failed) to get it home. It would act like its flooding then die.. then (with the 6 volt) it would just not want to start at all... till the battery was pulled down. So now its back to the drawing board as it relates to fuel.. dammit

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Pulled the carb off and eyeballed everything.. looks better that good.. I have to check the float and such. The mixture needle was turned out 2.5 half turns.. I thought they were turned out further than that.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

OK, got the carb back on and rechecked everything.. fired ran up and ran great. Got the idle set, then started dicking with the timing.. at higher revs it wanted to backfire through the carb,, screwed with it some more, couldnt get the backfire ti go away.. then noticed that the vacuum advance wasn't hooked up. Rolling Eyes

Drove around town and everything is pretty damned OK.. A few more tinkers and its off to the races.. well be able to take it to the store.. or down the street.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Carb was rebuilt by Tim of Volkzbitz, the Solex carb guru, and does phenomenal work.
Distributor and fuel pump to my knowledge have no been rebuilt, if the ideas for trouble areas persist.
Super pumped to here you're getting things cleared up, this car needs to be driven.
Driving to Eureka Springs this coming weekend?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

You're kinda doing the tune-up in the wrong order.
1. Set valve lash
2. Set dwell angle
3. Set timing
4. Then set up the carb adjustments

If you do it backwards, you will be chasing your tail trying to get it smoothed out. One thing effects the others. If you do it in this order, you know it's right.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
You're kinda doing the tune-up in the wrong order.
1. Set valve lash
2. Set dwell angle
3. Set timing
4. Then set up the carb adjustments

If you do it backwards, you will be chasing your tail trying to get it smoothed out. One thing effects the others. If you do it in this order, you know it's right.

Wasn't doing a tune up really.. just trying to get the thing to run and not fill the world with gas fumes.. I'm tired of tasting gasoline.. I did get the heck bitten out of me by one of the plug wires while I was tinkering.. Embarassed

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017

Last edited by Fozzy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Carb was rebuilt by Tim of Volkzbitz, the Solex carb guru, and does phenomenal work.

Yeah, it was just a suspect. I pulled the top off and everything looks new.. Checked the float to see if that was doing something.. I was just playing clue more or less.. It wasn't Col Mustard!

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Distributor and fuel pump to my knowledge have no been rebuilt, if the ideas for trouble areas persist.

They look OK.. but eventually they may get the treatment. I need to pick up a spare of both for the travel kit.

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Super pumped to here you're getting things cleared up, this car needs to be driven.

I was a hoot to drive it around town. I will get further and further away on little trips till I'm not afraid of walking home from that distance. I alternator seems to really be working well and it starts like a champ! All of the lights and signals work, the fuel gauge woke up and even the horn is working.. took some tinkering from me and my mechanic buddy.. hes as OCD as I am apparently. The next mini project is repairing the section of floor under the battery.. 16 gauge will have to work.. a bit thicker than the rest of the pan.. but now one will see it and its a driver.. not a concourse resto!

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Driving to Eureka Springs this coming weekend?
I am looking at some events or cruises of something around here.. there was something going on tonight.. but I'm waiting for 8 amp fuses to arrive Embarassed I saw a great looking mid 70's Westy at the bug graveyard here in town.. VERY nice, RED.. no visible rust.. I ran away before even asking about it

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Well, I pulled the last remnants of the auxiliary remote starter button out of the battery and since I have bought some sheet metal for the hole in the floor, I pulled the battery and braced myself for the worst.. pulled out the new Hampshire license plate that was acting as the floor and started clearing the debris below. The hole was described to me as fist sized.. well I guess that's accurate.. I have a 24" X 24" sheet of 16 gauge steel to weld into the hole I will hack out of the floor later. I'm a bit scared of doing the removal.. and No its not 100% proper, but it needs to be done before winter so the floor can be solid. Most of the larger "square" in the battery area will be removed and a patch panel made.. may not get it done today.. but meh.. its a project.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Whew.. scary! I got the hole cut out back to decent metal.. and the patch cut.. Now I have to either button everything back up and drive it 30 miles to the welder.. or have the welder brought to me Wink

The patch may need some more grinding here or there.. but it fits really decent right now

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Back on page one near the middle of the page I see a pic of the engine compartment. Looks like it's a big cap cast iron distributor. The condenser is supposed to be installed on the inside with those distributors. There may be some issues with ignition cut out if that is not done properly Idea .

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

correct orientation of points, condenser.

Also note the ground wire connection at the 1 o'clock position in the pic.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
correct orientation of points, condenser. Also note the ground wire connection at the 1 o'clock position in the pic.

Thanks for the information and of the great picture..

Odd you should mention that.. the damn bug quit on me again... Drove out to Wilson and my buddy and I worked a long time tacking and welding the floor patch in.. ran wonderful all the way out there.. drove all the way back to my town.. and in the middle of town.. it quit.. so.. I am going to have it towed home, put the car cover on it and give up for a while.

I'm unemployed but not hurting.. but ill be damned if I'll spend anything else on it until I get back into the workforce.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: