Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

non-vinyl Riviera canvas?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

I am redoing my "new" '77 bus (Murphy) which is getting - by necessity - a total makeover. The top canvas was really toasted so it needs to be replaced. I would really prefer to not use the yellow or white vinyl type, but something more 'natural' like hemp. At one time I thought I saw someone making them, but now all I can find are the vinyl type. Does anyone know of a company that makes them out of an alternate material?

Additionally, the canvas comes in one of two circumferences (176" or 184" circumference). Mine was so far gone that this measurement could not be determined. Should I just get the larger one and potentially just have a 'looser' canvas?

And just in case I was not clear enough..... it is the larger riviera pop top.

Thanks - Andrew
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

user blue71 had a amish connection, but I don't think they had a riv/chc/sportsmobile template to go off of. you would need the bigger canvas if your lift mech was inside the old canvas. smaller if the scissor action was on the outside. look at your old screw holes on the roof to see how it was.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

Any compitent upholstery shop that does alot of boat tops should be able to make you a replacement . Have them make it from sunbrella canvas which comes in many colors.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

I'm doing that exact same project- so if you can get a discount on doing 2 at once- PM me with the details. not a fan of yellow or vinyl either. Also check the nylon rollers mine had 4 broken ones -seemed to work But will be better soon.

Take good care of that rust above the B pillar- mine cut thru and ate up the door channel and flooded all the way back to the rear hatch hinges

-[img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

I tried to post this in the thread from my phone but it says "session invalid" despite being logged in:

Thanks Alman72.

If somebody has a so so Riviera canvas of the different years that can be used as a template (I don't know year cut offs for size) they will give a prototype discount. It would be the tan marine type canvas of the Westy versions. The last I knew they can get weird yellow vinyl if somebody absolutely wants that stuff, but the price was different and they only buy a giant bolt at a time (that material isn't used for their regular boat and other cover business).

I tracked a so-so one down before from a supposed 1975 and gave it to them but the measurement for the opening was in the 70s inch range according to their equipment. I don't know what happened to it when the patriarch moved to a new house and made a bigger shop. I'd guess it's MIA.

A.K.A.: "Doc", "Subwoofer Nick", "the LEAKOIL parts whore", "Amish canvas connection"
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

Mine is a 78 and looks like your pic the scissor is on the outside. it is complete but zippers and fly screen is shot- I f you need a templet and have a supplyer- let me know- Tan would be supper.

[img][/img]

Edit- found your web site- left a note- nice prices- what material do they use? and you westy turn around is couple of weeks- i imagine prototype would be longer? < Maybe find a few more needing tents - would make it worth while?

Don't step in any!
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

They use a tan marine grade type canvas fabric. Bay westy versions are made to order, no need for a group buy. That will be the case with all canvases after a prototype is made and test fitted with positive results. They don't want to make multiples of a prototype, have a problem due the template condition, and have to remake a group of them.

I would guess a prototype could take about a month to do, everything depends on which family members are available to do what step and if they are swamped with boat cover orders for this coming winter from people with boats that they take on Lake Erie. The price to me is an unknown for a bay Riviera as it uses more fabric than a bay westy and they use materials cost as a main component in determining their price (late bay uses more fabric than early bay, thus they cost more, but within reason).

A.K.A.: "Doc", "Subwoofer Nick", "the LEAKOIL parts whore", "Amish canvas connection"
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

I would be in on this for sure.

I'm not sure I would be good for a prototype (although I would be happy to be that guy) since I have a winter of body work to get done (maybe more) so I would n't be ready to install it until maybe next June or so. I do need the same one as WilliamM, so maybe we can get something going.

I would probably not select tan as my color, but I'll take that over white or yellow for sure.

Whatever roll I can play in getting this going, I'm up for.

thanks - Andrew
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

Hey Fellow Riviera Owners.

About two years ago I contacted country homes campers about a replacement canvas. They got in touch with a company in Washington or Oregon that makes the riviera canvases in yellow and white to ask about other colors. They told me they could make the canvas out of multiple fabrics and had lots of colors to choose from. I went with a gray outdoor vinyl (the same material as the yellow and white canvas).

Here is my original canvas next to the new gray one. Notice how worn out the elastic is in the corners.

blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

If you don't mind my asking, what did the gray replacement cost? I haven't really delved into the prices for Riviera and Sportsmobile canvases, just the bay westy versions to have an estimate of what the catalogs cost to see if the Amish could match or potentially beat those prices. So far they have been able to on the bay westy.

A few people have told me "It's very similar to the quality of the high end catalog one but for the price of the cheap one." Take that as you wish. Granted, nothing beats an original vintage NOS part when it comes to fit, but theirs come darn close.

Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

I believe it was about $400 shipped.

I found the name of the company that makes the replacements: [url]commercialfabricproducts.com[/url]

When I talked with commercial fabrics products they gave me lots of options to choose from in durable outdoor fabrics that have UV protection. They also said they were the original manufacturers for ASI/Riviera for the canvases.

I still haven't installed my canvas yet. I was planning on replacing the canvas and just using my bus as is when I first bought it. But the more I drove it and started fixing little things the more annoyed I got at the previous owner's hacks and fixes. I decided to just do a full restoration.

Just over three years later I am closer than ever with getting to the canvas though. I have the pop top repainted and installed and just ordered a replacement tack strip. Soon......
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

I did a little checking.....

The Commercial Fabrics Manufacturing will do the vinyl top in yellow, white or grey for right at $400. It is not listed on their website, but I called and talked to them.

For an additional +/- $140 they can do any Sunbrella Fabric an Owner wants select. They suggest the Sunbrella Marine Fabric line for these tops.

Hope this helps someone beside me.
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

My bay window is a sports Mobile. Is this exactly like the Riviera? It is a 1970 with the mechanism on the outside. In other words, can I purchase a Riviera top for my Sporty?

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

It looks very similar but I wouldn't take the $400 gamble.

If I were you I would take out the canvas and take it to a local upholstery shop to have them make a new one based off the old. Or get in touch with the samba member blue71 (seen in this thread) who had an Amish connection for making new canvases.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

Thats what I ended up doing- My local guy did it in tan with velcro instead of zips for right round $200. And left it open ended so I can fit it and bring it back for final stitching. Problem solved- and the original yellow is repairable .

Don't step in any!
BennyynneB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

Is there any updates to the amish Rivi canvas? How did the country campers one work? I see Gowesty is selling a Rivi version now. Has anyone installed theirs? Im trying to get my 75 canvas replaced this winter....just not wanting the raincoat yellow!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

So Andrew...
What material did you eventually decide to use for Murphy's top?
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

Country Home Campers did it.
I got grey canvas with an added front window/screen.
The typical pop top canvas only comes with the two long side windows/screens.

Fit great,
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: non-vinyl Riviera canvas? Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Country Home Campers did it.
I got grey canvas with an added front window/screen.
The typical pop top canvas only comes with the two long side windows/screens.

Fit great,

for 400?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: