Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to bench test 9 pin flasher box
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my 66 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

I own a stock 66 bug. its pretty much untouched. My problem is one day the turn signals just quit. I checked all the grounds, bulbs etc.. i cleaned all the connections looking for something simple.. I decided to replace the 9 pin box so i purchased one from samba. I installed it and still have nothing. niether side front or rear will light up or flash. The gentleman i bought the flasher from gave me the link to Type2.com and i followed that trouble shooting proceedure. It told me basically that i have no burned out bulbs, grounds must be good because in the procedure to check the turn signal switch all four corners did light. I concluded the turn signal swith operates the way it should, the emergency switch works as it should, the dash indicator works. The bulb in the emergency switch is burned out but that should have no effect on the flashers not working. I would like a proceedure for testing the 9 pin box itself... And i am open to any and all ideas.. Thanks in advance, Dave
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

Well, "bench testing" would mean creating a circuit/load for left and right similar to what's in the car. And similar switch effects for left/right/flashers. So kind of like re-creating the car's wiring.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

My Solidstate Semaphore compatible Turn Signal Controller is tested with a set of trailer lights.
Driving both filaments to test front and rear lamp functions.
It also replaces the 9 pin flasher.

Click on Turn Signal Controller LED/STD w/wo Semaphore 6V/12V link below for more details.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

Are you sure it's the right 9-pin box?

I think the Bus boxes were different because the rear turn signal filaments are also the brake lights, whereas on a Bug they are separate.

If he sent you to type2.com, maybe he sold you a Bus relay.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

No... the 9 pin boxes had dual functionality, otherwise you would not have even seen 9 terminals on the type 1 box.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

With power on 30 and grounding S, VL and VR and 49a will have power. You must have a load, one bulb will do. With power on 15 49a will have power. That wire passes through the turn signal switch and directs it to the left or right. 49a also operates the light in the speedometer. You will need a load on all of the outputs
my 66 bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

One thing I have noticed is when I pull the emergency knob or turn the signal switch to make a left or right turn I do notice and can feel what I imagine is a relay being energized. But it only clicks once and when it initially makes the slight noise there is no sign of and bulbs lighting up. Thanks for your help so far.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: how to bench test 9 pin flasher box Reply with quote

I think the 4-way switch needs a good ground. ON some cars, the mounting is relied on for the ground, which can be intermittent or high resistance. Try adding a ground jumper behind the dash.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: