Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

That van looked like something a Reality TV producer conjured up to represent a high concept of van-life...one without any real understanding of what it's like to actually live from moment to moment in a tiny space with two people. Living in a van is unmitigated chaos from day one until you're sick of that shit, and call daddy to wire you the funds for a one-way back home.

Air-brushed silliness. Period.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
So at what point does VanLife become douchebaggery? I have lived in my Westy while chasing my job, even though I could have done something different. During that time, I used 'the world' to my advantage, seeking out free water, toilets and showers.

Yet, I was still a working man.... who could have just paid for a hotel room at Motel 6... but chose to carve out my own way.

Example: Before I hit San Diego months ago on my way to visit one of our Samba members, I exited the I-15 freeway at Pala Mesa and found a side road going to private property. I made a hot lunch, took a nap and shit in the bushes.

Got back on the freeway and in downtown San Diego, I paid for metered parking, ran six miles along the waterfront, then in the Westy with curtains closed, changed out my running clothes and completely bathed and drained the bathwater into the gutter.

Visited with Aeromech for a bit, then left for the coast for my Westy dinner at Solana Beach. Dumped all my trash at the beach trash can. Headed north, planning on sleeping at San Onofre State Beach, but it was closed with locked gate. Stole more than ten gallons of water at San Clemente Sate Beach headquarters, I think. Peed in the bushes there.

Slept in a quiet neighborhood (bed was made before I left Solana Beach) in Laguna Niguel. I did not pop the top up. Had morning coffee at a nice overlook there completely alone overlooking the beach at sunrise.

Went to work that afternoon and dumped the rest of my trash in the company can. Shit in the company toilet on their time, not mine. I totally enjoyed every bit of that, except the locked gate at San Onofre. If I were single, I would live this way many months out of the year, and work a less consuming job.

I do all this while my bus is in the garage Laughing

Fuckin funny though. And is how we all do Im sure. Laughing Applause Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
So at what point does VanLife become douchebaggery? I have lived in my Westy while chasing my job, even though I could have done something different. During that time, I used 'the world' to my advantage, seeking out free water, toilets and showers.

Yet, I was still a working man.... who could have just paid for a hotel room at Motel 6... but chose to carve out my own way.

Example: Before I hit San Diego months ago on my way to visit one of our Samba members, I exited the I-15 freeway at Pala Mesa and found a side road going to private property. I made a hot lunch, took a nap and shit in the bushes.

Got back on the freeway and in downtown San Diego, I paid for metered parking, ran six miles along the waterfront, then in the Westy with curtains closed, changed out my running clothes and completely bathed and drained the bathwater into the gutter.

Visited with Aeromech for a bit, then left for the coast for my Westy dinner at Solana Beach. Dumped all my trash at the beach trash can. Headed north, planning on sleeping at San Onofre State Beach, but it was closed with locked gate. Stole more than ten gallons of water at San Clemente Sate Beach headquarters, I think. Peed in the bushes there.

Slept in a quiet neighborhood (bed was made before I left Solana Beach) in Laguna Niguel. I did not pop the top up. Had morning coffee at a nice overlook there completely alone overlooking the beach at sunrise.

Went to work that afternoon and dumped the rest of my trash in the company can. Shit in the company toilet on their time, not mine. I totally enjoyed every bit of that, except the locked gate at San Onofre. If I were single, I would live this way many months out of the year, and work a less consuming job.

Classic Very Happy can't beat crimping off a length in some one else's bushes Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I think when you're trying to tout its virtues while at the same time giving yourself props and asking people for money.

Wasted youth wrote:
So at what point does VanLife become douchebaggery?

You have definitely stepped over the line when you disparage the "rat race" & then have the gall to ask those in it to make a contribution so that you can continue videoing yourself experiencing all the wonderful sights that you never could if you were working.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
chabanais wrote:
I think when you're trying to tout its virtues while at the same time giving yourself props and asking people for money.

Wasted youth wrote:
So at what point does VanLife become douchebaggery?

You have definitely stepped over the line when you disparage the "rat race" & then have the gall to ask those in it to make a contribution so that you can continue videoing yourself experiencing all the wonderful sights that you never could if you were working.

Well said sir.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Westfalia73 wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

Classic Very Happy can't beat crimping off a length in some one else's bushes Very Happy

That's a lot of information but consenting....oh wait ...like shrubs , got it, never mind
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Westfalia73 wrote:

That's a lot of information but consenting....oh wait ...like shrubs , got it, never mind

that's how you can self fund the adventure....brownchickenbrowncow....

oh, wait we're talking about taking a shit Embarassed

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Hahahahahahha...

Hahahahahahhaha...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

oh, wait we're talking about taking a shit Embarassed

That is one A class turd cutter...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Ummm, what bus? All I saw was the hot chick

This^^^

I'll say it.. I'm a bit jealous that he's traveling around with the smoking hot gal while enjoying the VW bus.

I wonder if the roaster was a bit jealous as well?!?! I don't know him but didn't see any (hot) gal in his bus? Hum... Think

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing you guys are killing me Laughing Laughing Laughing
It's Saturday, anyone see Busdaddy at the clubs? Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

This. Thank you sir. Well said!
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
So at what point does VanLife become douchebaggery? .

It's well into douchebaggery. Luckily most of these latte loving asshats drive vans not vw transporers.

I have some doubts these clowns have ever spent a night in that bus. It sure doesn't look like any bus I've seen while camping.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

I got to thinking about this today. If I had the time...

I would make a very similar video. But it would be like 180* out from what we keep seeing. So, like the intro would cue to Thompson Twins Hold Me Now. Fade from black to the sound of cops banging on the door of my 1970 VW bus/van as I wake up. Red and blue flashing lights illuminating the inside of my bus/van. I mean, it would be impractical to actually get that on film by myself, but you get the idea.

Next scene, where I come out of Dollar Tree with my sad bag of disgusting groceries gloating about how much money I saved and find the wind-wing is busted out and there is glass all over the seat and parking lot. They took my Ray Bans.

Then we have the raining scene trying to change a tire in the woods, but the jack keeps sinking into the soft soil as my bus/van dangerously leans towards me. I finally get it stable with tree branches under the jack, but can't get two of the lug nuts loose. I round off the end of them and the lug wrench as I stand on it and slip off, scraping my ankle. I get my bike off the back rack, pedal into town for help and return with some help that just cost me $75 for the first hour... cheap, too! Because it took four hours to make this happen, the rain has stopped and its a nice late Saturday afternoon with clearing skies. Yay! It's gonna work out after all! We get to the bus/van and find Coors Light beer cans on the ground and a shotgun blast peppering my driver's door. I now have a Kenny Chesney bumper sticker where I once had no sticker at all.

Forgoing the shit-kicking redneck countryside, I run a Craigslist ad for Handyman service in the Los Angeles area and travel that way. Surely, I could make some cash for a couple weeks of working and just live at the beach or squat on the UCLA campus. In Indio, California, I meet this smoking hot chick at the AM/PM minimart. She has this cutest little puppy pit bull, and we totally hit it off. She wants to go to LA, too! Totally rad!

Next scene: We are east of Palm Springs and the puppy shits on her lap. She wigs out, puppy now on floor near my feet, and the fantastic smell of sickly dog poo fills the 109* air inside the bus/van. Wish I had A/C.

Next scene: I am noticing this super hot chick who smokes the same cigarettes as me... seems to be smoking lot of them. Unclear where the puppy went to and the entire van/bus now smells like hot and dried dogshit. Some of it is smeared and dried on the seat belt. I push on. You know, like, totally got to get to the beach! It's fuggin' RAD, man! Cue: Any music from Joe Walsh.

Too bad my engine overheated buffeting the hot high winds roaring over Beaumont Pass and into the Palm Springs area. I break down west of Cabazon. Did I melt a piston?

At this point, we go to the drone camera where we see my bus on the side of Interstate 10 with a Riverside County Sherriff's squad car behind it. You can see him with his arms folded across his chest and my buttcrack as I try to peer into the void of the engine bay. New girlfriend is obviously badgering the Deputy, and from the camera drone, you can see him point her to sit down on the side of the road as she flips him the bird. Drone cam shows CHP rolling up and stopping behind Deputy cruiser as most of the traffic seems to be slowing down to look. Cue: Bad Company's Rock n' Roll Fantasy.

Turns out my engine died not from overheating working its way through those hot headwinds, it died because the generator belt came loose from that completely useless fake pulley that can't hold a tension. So the battery eventually went flat, and I lost primary ignition. Good thing I didn't do any serious damage... Turns out my exhaust valves really needed adjusting, too. Wonder why the exhaust valves needed so much adjusting after driving at 65 MPH in those headwinds in 109* hot day with no generator turning? Sure wish I had understood what that little light was on the bottom of the speedometer. Cue: Metallica's Trapped Under Ice.

Next Scene: I'm talking to the camera making out like it's cool, because I'm so right-on with being connected to the world and the Samba Community. You can see me on the laptop, sick puppy in my lap. New Girlfriend furiously texting multiple people from front seat, bitching about how fucking hot it is. Dog seems to be mine now. It suddenly occurs to me that when I met this chick she was alone and without a car in Indio. I make light laughter about this for the video, but even the tiniest of cell phone screens my audience might have cannot hide my obvious fear. Cue: Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side.

Yay! The Samba guys got me all straightened out! One of them comes to my rescue! Cue: Any song from Jimmy Buffet. I enlist the help of the local Samba guy and quickly consume the rest of my funds buying him beer and a used but good German generator pulley along with my inferior, ill-fitting Chinese valve cover gaskets and belt from AutoZone. Samba dude warns me repeatedly to slow down, learn how to properly set my timing and find that missing 'rear apron' tin piece, whatever the hell that thingy is. He tried to show me how to do static timing, but that new girlfriend was a problem.
Scene: lots of camera shake and gaffer problems as new girlfriend can't seem to handle operating the camera well. Samba dude seems to want to no longer be a part of this, and keeps looking at the camera.

We are back on the road! New girlfriend has totally mellowed out after I bought her three packs of Marlboro Menthol 100's at a bargain price of $7.49 each. I just put it on the Visa. But she is still a little fidgety and smells a little like vitamin B and sweat. Keeps moving her mouth, too, but I don't think she's saying anything. Scene: Wind blowing through her stringy hair, puppy sprawled out on rear floor with a new pool of super soft feces. Cue: Grateful Dead's Touch of Grey.

Next: The LA Basin, Santa Monica and a frightening encounter with some Nortenos gangbangers at the Rosemead Swap Meet. Cue: Closing song with Phantogram's Running from the Cops

Last edited by Wasted youth on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:59 am; edited 3 times in total
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Notchboy question/ quote> 'why isn't he in a bikini with his balls hanging out?'

Answer: Because nobody wants to see those. Nobody. : l

Also, it's a known phenomena that grads leave USC campus batshit crazy, so I'll
forgive sweetcheeks her wanderlust & leave it at that. Something in the bottled water down there. Or sunstroke. Maybe both.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Thread Of The Year. Thanks Steve and Don.

Sincerely,
RobbieOnlyMoochedOffRichAndAndrewForDaysLastYear
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Good thing your story ended there, everyone would have had too much fun at your expense when you found out that your pissed off new girlfriend wasn't, cue Lou Reeds "Take a walk on th wild side"

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
But she is still a little fidgety and smells a little like vitamin B and sweat

Applause Bravo WY, I literally laughed out loud. Holy crap that was funny.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

That was too funny! I checked out all the posts of Wandxr and the pics are pretty well setup although some show the real mess of living in a van....
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GoFundMe WanderLust Vanlife Projects Reply with quote

Y'all wanna see REAL VanLife?

You get all these rad vegan meals any time you want! It's the cheapest way to eat and maintain a 3,600 calorie diet and a lethal dose of sodium. You only have to trespass a little for Real Life Experiences like this!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sometimes, you even get to sleep in some of the most desired locations on the planet. Like this 24-hr parking lot on Manhattan's Upper East Side! Who says you need the Rat Race to live such a luxurious life?

My favorite part of VanLife though, was how neat and tidy my interior stayed all the time. Why, here's a shot where I lived in Chicago and spent six hours cleaning my interior. Yeah, isn't is so spacious and homey? Can't even see the piss jugs!

I love you guys.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 37

Jump to: