Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Tank sender screws stripped
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

This is my first post! I have been lurking for a couple of years and now I finally purchased a 1969 convertible bug. Heavy fuel smell so I replaced some gas vent hoses and was planning on replacing the gasket on the sending unit. It was covered in a hard putty. Dug away the putty and two of the screws just spin, they wont come out. All I can think of is that the threads were stripped and new sleeves were put in and now they are just spinning.
I was going to try to drill them out, but now I am not sure that is a good idea because I don't really know where to go from there. Has anybody run into this?
I would appreciate any advice.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

lacolin wrote:
This is my first post! I have been lurking for a couple of years and now I finally purchased a 1969 convertible bug. Heavy fuel smell so I replaced some gas vent hoses and was planning on replacing the gasket on the sending unit. It was covered in a hard putty. Dug away the putty and two of the screws just spin, they wont come out. All I can think of is that the threads were stripped and new sleeves were put in and now they are just spinning.
I was going to try to drill them out, but now I am not sure that is a good idea because I don't really know where to go from there. Has anybody run into this?
I would appreciate any advice.
Colin

can you take a small pair of needle nose vice grips and put on stripped screws and as you turn lift up lightly.. at this point tho it sounds like someone put crap around it to seal leak.. at the very worst.. they do make new gas tanks.. and there are used ones still good for sale
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried sticking a small flat blade screwdriver under the plate and applying pressure as I tried to unscrew the screws, but it didn't work.

Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

lacolin wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried sticking a small flat blade screwdriver under the plate and applying pressure as I tried to unscrew the screws, but it didn't work.

Colin

hummm.. well sounds like more force will be needed.. maybe try to locate a replacement tank first & then go to town on the old one.. knowing if you screw it up.. you have backup plan
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

After ya get the screws out, maybe you could use this kit to re-attach the sender.
https://www.vdo-gauges.com/accessories/fuel-sender...nders.html
The plate with the notch fits inside the tank and has threads for the longer screws . . . and it comes with new gaskets too!
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions!

colin
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

Get a small sharp chisel and place edge of chisel next to the bottom of the screw head and sending unit and a couple of sharp blows with a ball peen hammer and the sending unit will come off, then get a good look at what it will take to get the screw bodies out. Please have someone standing buy with a good fire ext. when working on fuel tank. Maybe drive them through with a drift punch and fish out the remains with a magnet on a rod.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

Side Cutters wedged under the screw while being turned and maybe the use of a Tack Puller which is like a small nail remover should work.
If you can get on the other side you can use something that resembles a dolly and hammer the hole flat which will make the hole smaller.
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Tank sender screws stripped Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice. I will try these methods tomorrow.

Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: