Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for 145R15 & 155R15 Whitewalls
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YellowBeetleSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Looking for 145R15 & 155R15 Whitewalls Reply with quote

I had a Vintage VW shop replace my front & rear suspension. The new struts ended up lowering it 1-2" I guess and now the tires rub if I take sharp turns. They recommended that I find 145R15 for the front & 155R15 for the rear. I've gotten my 165R15 white walls from Coker in the past but it appears they don't have them in 145 or 155. Does anyone know a source for wide radial white walls in 145 & 155?

I see Diamond Back has a 145R15, 1 3/4" whitewall but they don't make a 155R15 whitewall.

Another option might be to get new rims that will match a tire size that fits but I'd really prefer to keep my Beetle looking stock. Unless anyone knows a source of rims that come in other sizes and look similar to stock rims. It's for a 1973 flat dash super Beetle. I upgraded the whole suspension to allow for the best handeling possible so, I'd like tires that will allow for the best handling & safety too. (145 seems pretty narrow right? Seems they would be less safe than a wider tire right?)

Thanks for any info you could provide!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for 145R15 & 155R15 Whitewalls Reply with quote

Why do all that suspension work and put skinny tires on it? I would look at at least 195 fronts 205 rears, maybe even 215 rears. Neither the 145s or 155s grip in hard corners or under hard braking.

A friend of mine has wide whites he got from a place that makes them, you ;ick the tires they make them into whitewalls and for way cheaper than Coker. He's gone to the great Canadian or I would ask him, but a google search might get you the info.

brad
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for 145R15 & 155R15 Whitewalls Reply with quote

You need lower profile than the 80 series stock tires. Buy a USED pair of 185X60 & try them on the front & rear. I'm running good used pairs of 185X60 & 205X70 on front/rear of my lowered squareback.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: