Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Here are all of the pics pretty much up to the present (In order from newest to oldest)...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Ceckert64&show_results=summary

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration Reply with quote

It was purchased from the "rust belt" it was painted like Herbie and used for radio remotes. Didn't know at time of buying but the the engine had a rebuild not many miles ago. It had no title (now does). Runs great, but the body isn't as lucky. It has been over a year in metal work. Made a cradle for it so you could work on it upside down, now strait up within the last month on another body stand. I still have the upside down cradle, I can sell it/ sell the dimensions. Trying to do a restoration close to the original but upgrades to make it safer. The engine tin has got painted, changed it over to a 12v alternator, and every thing else in the engine.

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration Reply with quote

So what is the story behind this car? Your supplied Samba link only has pictures of all your hard work, no story.

Neat project, tell us more please!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration Reply with quote

are you making a "Herbie", or do you just call it that because that's how you got it?

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration Reply with quote

That's how I got it. I'm going to paint it the original color; black. Since new, some one resprayed it black after an accident, then it was brown then it was red, then it was white. When we got it some on hacked around the radio opening and since the keys were lost they put a piece of aluminum in with a key switch and a press button to start the car in the radio hole.

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, used a tractor to flip the body strait up again using a body brace. Still have to finish the inner and outer door skins and some other misc welding to do till starting to prep for paint. Going to do all of the sandblasting, prep work and all of the painting at home. For paint, going to take the body back to bare metal with paint stripper, sandblasting, and sanding. Going to make a both in the garage. It will will be an inside and out, bottom and top, and all painted parts will be painted. Expecting to to be in paint in about a month. Since I'm new to this (body and paint) if anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

respirators, excellent ventilation and zero spark hazards are important. dont have the compressor in the garage when painting, make sure lights switches plugs are not in an explosive atmosphere. a box fan with a furnace filter on it can be used to blow clean air in, make the fan remote, attach the fan with a tunnel made of large garbage bags taped togther so that the fan and its sparking motor are well removed from flammable fumes, thats how I did it, but I used a car port that was covered in plasric sheets to make a big booth.

a fast curing type paint is recommended one that can color sanded if you get drips.

besure to run all paint thru a fine strainer before filling the gun! make sure the air compressor provided clean dry air, youll need a water and oil trap and filter on the airsupply. make the booth big, you need lots of room, no fun backing into a wet painted panel,that will leave an impression. paint the doors and hoods seperatly off the car on good stands to get the jams and such, then hang on car for final coat so everything matches. waiting weeks between coats can effect the color and paint texture as weather chanhes can effect the paint.
buy only compatible primers and paints. do not use acid etches unless you have carefully researched the subsequent coats, come paint will NOT cure over an acid coated surface. a quality epoxy primer like DP is very good, fast cure, and extremely rust proof. make sure the top coat will work with it. contact the paint maker for all the data sheets, read them twice at least to unxerstand all the important info. most makers of paint have very good info, call them, ask to speak with the tech advice person, and down load all the info they have. aslo, desides filtering the paint, make sure you use a viscosity measuring tool to get the paint right during practice sprays. if you dont have the viscosity measurement, your only guess on how much reducer to use.

the best paints are expensive, but with all the labour invooved, paint price is not that big a deal, go for quality. use lint free rags, lint free masking paper. bo not use newspaper, as lint will be blown off the paper onto your wet paint, plastic sheets can be used once, as after overspray has dried, it may flake off the plastic when hit by the spray for the next coat. so only use painters paper and tape for masking the car. wear a painters suit, LINT FREE, and cover yourself well. dont forget shoe covers clean clean clean, with no lint generators.

also once the both is set up some practice shots are recommeneded, get a scrap door or trunk to test on. that way you can practice technique, play with viscosity, and air pressure variables, also note that temperature difference can greatly effect the outcome.

again first and formost think safety, fire and explosion risks are real, you are making an explosive cloud when you paint. and health safety is also big deal, many paint can cause long term health issues, some paints are dangerous in concentration below what you can detect with the nose (ie isocyanates) so make sure your resporator filters are refreshed each spray session, else they become saturated and no longer filter out the poisons. if you can get an air supplied resporator, that is best. a full face catrdidge tgpe is suppierior to the half face cartidge type (ie full face covers the eyes) so you will need some replacement cartridges. you will become acclimated to the smell, nd thus may not notice dangerous levels, thus always use fresh cartridges, keep them sealed when new until ready for use, replace regularly. you may want to do a hot water rinse to make sure all paint stripper is removed, trace amounts of trapped stripper say in seams will always find a way to creep out months later and remove your new paint from under it, so make sure all stripper is removed, avoid stripper on seams that will be very hard to remove later.

dont forget to wipe the car down with lint free rags (one swipe per side of rag, then replace) use a grease wax and silicone remover for this. regular paint thinner is NOT recommeneded as it will not remove silicones, silicones even small tiny bits will cause fish eye defects, areas like little pin holes that the paint refuses to wet, when you got this, only solution is to sand off, remove silicone and spray again. more layers of paint will not cover it up. a fish eye remover can be added to the paint, this improves wettability, but best bet is to remove all traces of silicone with a grease, wax and silicone remover and one use lint free rags.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I'm using PPG paints clear coat system. Thanks for the advise. I have a few questions though, how would you paint in the cavity for the sunroof? On the rear vent would sandblasting/ sandpaper on a stick work to remove the paint in there? Same with the sunroof?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I sandblasted and painted the under side of it with ppg. I still have the top side of the chassis to do, I also added the seat belt holes in the floor pan. I tried to get a seal weld on the pans to chassis, before it was painted, I still will use sealant though. The body is almost done with all of the metal work. I just recently repaired the roof where the sunroof drain tubes had clogged and rusted through the roof, the metal was thin around it so it also got replaced.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I got the rest of the chassis painted and clear coated this spring.

I got the chassis put together and got it running in the first time in a few years, and drove it around a little. Now I'm painting the engine to look like an original 1964 motor did.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Haven't updated in a while, I've gotten quite a bit done to it. The chassis was finished, I got all of it painted top and bottom and got it re assembled, I've been driving the chassis around, I had to change the shift rod bushing and take out some of the bend in the shift rod tube, it now shifts great. I repainted the engine to look more stock and original. I put all new brakes in the front and rebuilt the back brakes. Now I have the body on to do some test fitting.

I will get some more picture also
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

here are the brakes
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Body work in progress
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

I had a question, on the 1964 beetle, would they of ever put euro-spec tail light lenses and headlights on a bug for the USA? Herbie has original Euro-spec tail light lenses and front assemblies, the assemblies looked like the Euro because of the adjuster positioning and the assembly, but had seal beam bulbs. So would the factory of ever used Euro-spec parts on a beetle meant to head to the USA, could it be a Canadian model, or just a plain parts swap from a Euro-Spec.

I'd like to get a birth certificate, but the website document generator isn't working, it say,"For technical reasons the document generator is currently not available." Anyone know what the issue is?

Thanks for the help.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
I had a question, on the 1964 beetle, would they of ever put euro-spec tail light lenses and headlights on a bug for the USA? Herbie has original Euro-spec tail light lenses and front assemblies, the assemblies looked like the Euro because of the adjuster positioning and the assembly, but had seal beam bulbs. So would the factory of ever used Euro-spec parts on a beetle meant to head to the USA, could it be a Canadian model, or just a plain parts swap from a Euro-Spec.

I'd like to get a birth certificate, but the website document generator isn't working, it say,"For technical reasons the document generator is currently not available." Anyone know what the issue is?

Thanks for the help.

Might be a grey-market import like by brother's old Euro '67. They dyed the turn signals red on the inside, but it was amber colored plastic on top. Other changes for the import included a MPH speedo and sealed beams/clear glass covers (it has the older style headlights, unlike the US '67 models).
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Thanks! That would make sense, it does have a MPH speedometer, same time frame from when the car was made.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Doing some fender fit up. Not much time to work on it lately, slowly coming here are some more recent pictures.

I also got my birth certificate for the car I ordered.

I was also wondering if anyone has any 40hp throttle ring and mechanism.
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

Want to sell those old stubby bumpers? Im bumperless on my 66 and cant afford "real" bumpers.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Herbie"1964 beetle metal sunroof restoration/ replacing metal Reply with quote

According to the birth certificate it’s Herbie’s birthday today! And happy Easter! I took it out on a drive today and couldn’t get it above 52mph. I found out one of the plugs was bad. I’m impressed that it could go that fast on three cylinders, it was number four cylinders that had the bad plug. I put a different one in and get it up to 65mph, it ran a lot better though.

I also just painted and blasted the rims and mounted new tires on. I also painted all of the seat frames, steering column, turn signal, and the rear seat bar and a couple other miscellaneous parts that needed to be pearl white.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: