Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I posted this already on the bay forum but had zero responses so I'm hoping I will have more luck here. It's not my intention to duplicate threads and I'm very happy for a mod to close the one over in the bay forum.

Anyway; here goes:

The bus (stock 1969 bay with 1600SP) could use more torque.

I'm not after high RPMs and lot's of horse power. I just want more pull.

At the same time I want things to look as stock as possible.

How big can I go with the stock exhaust system including heater boxes provided I keep the RPMs low (as low as stock or even lower) without running into heat problems due to too much restriction to exhaust gas flow?

I'm pretty sure 1776cc won't be a problem but what about 1956 or 2017cc?

As you can see I want to go 90.5 on the piston and cylinders.

I would keep head work to a minimum and valve size stock or close to stock. The cam would remain stock or close to stock, too.

I have an aluminum case which should not be needed but won't hurt.

I'm also planning on a quality, forged, counterweight crankshaft. I don't think this engine will need it but I wan't it to be as smooth and reliable as possible.

I think I will have to convert to dual port and while I am at it I would go for a single 37 PICT Solex carb (converted genuine 34 PICT 3). Not interested in dual carbs for this engine.

Will the stock exhaust system work with such a combo?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the exhaust question as well as the envisaged concept, keeping in mind I want stock looks, torque and reliability.

Stefan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

An exhaust system that is designed LIKE a stock muffler is not necessarily a bad idea.
If the flow passages are large enough there should be no problem just scaling it UP to a larger size, but I do not really know if such a thing exists.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

If you want it to look absolutely stock, then cut the muffler open and gut it along with making 2 & 4 about the same legth as 1 & 3 (about 20" from cylinderhead) Make a noise reduction chamber in front of the outlet and a tube muffler in the exhaust tail pipe.
I have done this a couple of times and such a muffler can support approx 70 hp with good torque and very reasonable back pressure.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

bigger engine should have a better flowing exhaust. I wish i was in a better place in my life as there sure seems to be a need for a better ex in the stock appearing / shape guys. I may make 1 some day for me. even though I dont need one.and dont think my 356 will have room for it. and my bug is halfass so not on it, I may get something else some day to put a big motor in.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
If you want it to look absolutely stock, then cut the muffler open and gut it along with making 2 & 4 about the same legth as 1 & 3 (about 20" from cylinderhead) Make a noise reduction chamber in front of the outlet and a tube muffler in the exhaust tail pipe.
I have done this a couple of times and such a muffler can support approx 70 hp with good torque and very reasonable back pressure.

T

Along the lines of what Alstrup said......

The stock mufflers actually did quite a good job of too many things in too small of a space. Noise reduction....exhaust.....back pressure....all within the design of the original engine.....and in a very tight space.

They are also fairly different inside in different types. The type 1, 3 and 4 mudflers have a lot of internal differences....especially when you get into center exit (damper type) of type 3 and 4.

That being said....like Alstrup noted.....if you can get inside of it......make the primaries more equal and/or correct the cylinder pairing if need be.....and make the passage perforations larger....a good amount can be done.

I realize I am speaking type 4 now....but the concept is the same. Just between mufflers BRANDS of stock muffler for type 4 170p and 1800......even with the same internal layout.....differences in perforation hole size and maybe a 10% increase in total enclosure volume like the Ernst muffler provides compared to Dtarla, Wagner and Dansk....is a sizeable change in heat to the heads, throttle response and the ability to run more hp.

Some details inside an Ernst type 4 muffler for ideas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653839&highlight=

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

restrictive exhaust cracks heads. especialy if it's leen.
I never thought of a vw muffler as being all that small.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
An exhaust system that is designed LIKE a stock muffler is not necessarily a bad idea.
If the flow passages are large enough there should be no problem just scaling it UP to a larger size, but I do not really know if such a thing exists.

I know its not stock looking but working on an equal length runner with 3 chamber "collector" similar to 356 B style. The collector is sized for up to 1800cc which I think is good for the 1 3/8 primaries, I dont see any issue going up in size in both primary and collector. Not sure if I want to put a large 2in single tip or 4 tips abarth style.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

Very good! Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

Yes!.....thats nice!
Ray
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

Thanks!

Would you have any suggestions on improvement before I weld it all up?

End caps and internals all hand formed using aluminized 12ga and mesh scraps from another project. Do you think a large single or multi tips would work better?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

I was wondering what would be inside.
Divided up by baffles as pictured you really can't go wrong.

I believe there could be some "boost" by tuning the end chambers as Helmholtz resonators, volume of each end chamber 2-3 liters, tube leading from end chamber to middle 6-8 inches length diameter 50-100% larger cross section than the primaries.
That was roughly the range that made sense in computer simulation.
I don't know how accurate it is, and adding in possibilities with perforated tubes and different entries and exist features of said tubes ends up with a very large number of possibilities, some which must work better than others but I have the feeling nobody will ever really try them all and actually know Shocked Take a look at the sebring design....what if we have two tubes leading from the end chamber IN LINE with the primaries? It'd be like a sebring all packed into one box..... or course the gap might need to be a certain range to make it work best, so teh primaries project into the ends a certain distance??? Good luck driving yourself mad.....but remember you asked Razz

Certianly a KEy in either case is the primaries entering the end chambers of the muffler are not paired together into another tube for any length, rather they both exit into a sizable volume of the end chambers. Entering into some volume will prevent the shock wave of for instance #2 exhaust valve opening from traveling up #3 pipe and blowing clear into the carb at overlap, which otherwise would occur at certain RPM bands if both sequentially firing primaries are paired into a secondary or into a small glasspck or so forth.
This is where the hot-dog and other el-cheapo muffler designs really have no hope of ever being right with anything except the mildest of cams.
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

Gentlemen, greta input. Thanks very much.

Torben, your advise sounds very interesting. I intend to give it a try this winter.

AlteWagen, Nice work Smile

Mark, Ray, modok, thank you all for your valuable input.

Stefan
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I was wondering what would be inside.
Divided up by baffles as pictured you really can't go wrong.

I believe there could be some "boost" by tuning the end chambers as Helmholtz resonators, volume of each end chamber 2-3 liters, tube leading from end chamber to middle 6-8 inches length diameter 50-100% larger cross section than the primaries.
That was roughly the range that made sense in computer simulation.
I don't know how accurate it is, and adding in possibilities with perforated tubes and different entries and exist features of said tubes ends up with a very large number of possibilities, some which must work better than others but I have the feeling nobody will ever really try them all and actually know Shocked Take a look at the sebring design....what if we have two tubes leading from the end chamber IN LINE with the primaries? It'd be like a sebring all packed into one box..... or course the gap might need to be a certain range to make it work best, so teh primaries project into the ends a certain distance??? Good luck driving yourself mad.....but remember you asked Razz

Certianly a KEy in either case is the primaries entering the end chambers of the muffler are not paired together into another tube for any length, rather they both exit into a sizable volume of the end chambers. Entering into some volume will prevent the shock wave of for instance #2 exhaust valve opening from traveling up #3 pipe and blowing clear into the carb at overlap, which otherwise would occur at certain RPM bands if both sequentially firing primaries are paired into a secondary or into a small glasspck or so forth.
This is where the hot-dog and other el-cheapo muffler designs really have no hope of ever being right with anything except the mildest of cams.

Yes.....well said....about the cylinder pairing especially.

Its hard to say on the stock type 4 muffler in my link......because there are so many ways to tune. But.....I would think that a large improvement to the type 4 muffler would be to "unpair" the 1/2 side and 3/4 side. You can see in my pictures and diagrams that the pipes from the heat exchangers are seperate until they pass the muffler flanges.....then they pair up.

Now....some methods say that at least they are paired up right....meaning you have an alternating exhaust pulse from side to side....others say they are not. In all methods.....what you do upstream will be dependent on what you do downstream.....whether its just a resonator system and otherwise straight through.....or a zig-zag system .....or a baffel system or (like the type 4 muffler) a combination of all three.

However all calculators and models I have been reading do suggest that the primaries coming from each cylinder are just too short.....so it would be better if the inlet pipes from each cylinder could stay seperate for longer.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stock exhaust on bigger type 1 engine? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
restrictive exhaust cracks heads. especialy if it's leen.
I never thought of a vw muffler as being all that small.

For a long time I ghought so too. I mean when you look at a type 4 muffler....which is a good deal larger than a type 1.....it seems huge. Even the type 1 seems large......if you qre just thing of it as a MUFFLER......and that's the problem with it.

If it is just a muffler.....its pretty damn big.

But its NOT just a muffler. Its three things in one.

1. Its the continuation of the primary tube lengths in the heat exchangers.....from each cylinder. And.....since the heat exchangers are pretty short.....the muffler comprises the vast majority of the primary tube length. Because of its odd shape and twists and turns.....these primary tube lengths become un-equal.

2. Its the collector system. In that function it kind of does ok at least for sure on type 3 and 4 systems as it dumps the inlet gas into a central chamber. But if the primaries are unequal...the function of the collector chamber will be off.....unless you delay the shorter length primaries with baffels or perforation sizes.

3. Its a resonator baffel system to absorb sound energy.

So when you think about all of this crammed into one area......its small.

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: