Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extra long clutch arms
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

Im looking for one of the extra long clutch arms that Bruce used to sell. I sent you an email but not sure how often you check it. I have a '68 bug with a stage one and copperhead disc. It is a little stiffer than I like. I was hoping that Bruce or someone had one for sale that would fit my application. Driving in traffic gets old with a stiff clutch. Laughing
gearheadgumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: extra long clutch arm Reply with quote

the extra long clutch arms came on the newer bugs, the ones that are from the 80's. you said that you have a 68' that should use a 16mm clutch throw out arm. i still have some of those size left. call me and i can get one to you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm bruce

He's got alot of them IF gearhead doesn't

No more time for VW's.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a KEP Stage 1 with a Copperhead and find the pedal not bad.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

If you've never had a long arm you wont have a reference .

your late model fat chick probably has one already.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan_U wrote:
Glenn wrote:

If you've never had a long arm you wont have a reference .

your late model fat chick probably has one already.

I have a 71-72 cross shaft.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bones 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn you probably already have a long arm depending if you changed it when you did your 5 speed. My 73 ghia has the long arm and I kept it when I did my 5 speed. I changed my son's 67 to a long arm courtesy of Bruce and it made a huge difference in pedal pressure. He has a 1700PP and it's like stock or even less.
Alan_U
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Tweddle built my trans and all of a sudden it had a long arm Smile

Stage 2 pressure plate needs a tad more effort than my 67 with stock pressure plate.

EZGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the type 3 come with a long arm also? Maybe find one of those.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

Hey all, i have a gearbox that has had some work done, super diff blah blah, any way my issue is with the clutch arm - it has the short clutch arm, but i purchased a long clutch arm only to realise ( when i went to switch them over ) that the diameter of the through bolt / throw out bearing lever shaft(?) Is wider than / thicker in diameter when compared to the hole of the long clutch arm i was going to put on...

Do i have a HD throw out bearing shaft? Are they thicker? or do i simply just have the wrong clutch arm?

Do they make a long clutch arm to fit the thicker shaft ...

Sorry, i dont have the exact diameter nor the correct terminology or part descriptions
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

there are many diferent length arms. I like the big shaft.so I remachine the big shaft & made bushing to go in the small shat case ( rhino virus case). I have the 4" C2C arm on all my trans now. both small and large. when I got my rancheo rino super street pluss trans built they ut the short bent pos arm on it. how effing stupid. and sent some sort of buss cv with odd sized balls & cast cages..... havent been able to find crmoly cages for that size balls. probably some front drive cheep ass cv. about $2500 and crapo cv's&shit arm. I will of corse tear it down before I ever used the trans.and fix whatever I dont like in it. should of built it my self but at the time I had never been in one... kinda simple. but time consuming the first time or when your not set up to do them all the time.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, you have confirmed what I suspected - there are many clutch arms.

So I have done some more digging. Looks like there are about 4 - 5 difference ones. It appears I am after the most recently made clutch arm.

Some information from the man named Bruce (I havent included the reference picture, but you can find it if you google "VW C2C Clutch Arm"):

"The change from the 90mm arm (# 4) to the 100mm arm (# 5) happened in early in the 75 model year. About 6-8 months after the cable length was reduced by 13mm.
Nothing to do with double or single side covers, nothing to do with IRS or swing axle. All German gearboxes built after mid 75 got the long arm. IRS and swing axle.

SO it looks like I am chasing one that is from a late model Beetle. 1975 and onwards. Anyone know where I can find one?
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

Be careful, there are 100mm long arms for 16 and 20mm shafts. You need to know the size of your shaft as well.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

Yep, i have a 16mm extra long arm... and a 20mm shaft. hooray!

Hence why I need to find a extra long are with a 20mm shaft. - Happy to swap my 16mm shaft one. PM if you can assist.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

The arms are all steel. Cut and weld, make any length you want.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Extra long clutch arms Reply with quote

I would also suggest a new bowden tube , the one with the plastic ends, plastic dosent eat the cable like the steel ones do. I also changed the angle mine pulls at,might of raised or lowered it too i dont remember. I use the shortest cable and shortest bowden I can on my 74 pan, I dont like shit all bowded up with a stiff clutch and motor that dosent shake rattell or rollover.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: