Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 ignition switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

replacing my ignition switch for the third time in 2 years, is this one legit?
https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?search=WC-111-905-865-LGR&Submit=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

It's legit, but you might want to stroll over to Bus Depot for a German made OEM Volkswagen one on sale...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-905-865-LGR
It says GR (german) O.E. QUALITY, what ever that means is up to interpretation.

Here is a Meyle, can't speak of its quality.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-parts/ignition-switch/111905865l~mey/

You need to test the resistance in your starting circuit. Bad wiring, bad starter can increase the resistance and increase the current (amps) going across the switch.

You may want to install a starter relay to take some of the load off the switch.
https://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=...amp;page=1

Another option is to install a starter button and take the switch out of the circuit. Until you can figure out what is wrong.
https://www.google.com/search?q=starter+push+butto...tTQvxYIu5g

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

replace or lube your starter solenoid. If you have excessive accessories on the ignition switch move the circuits to a paddle switch or reliable relay. One of the two or both are torching your ignition switch.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

I just did this the other day. Had an old German made, probably original switch finally give up the ghost on me. It had developed a crack when I was able to finally remove it.

Replaced with a Meyle one from my spare stock, fired right up. But I would like to get a good quality replacement or 2 to have handy. I'd be interested if the one linked above is the same or equivalent to the BD German one I nearly ordered last night.

I did swap the whole column assembly onto my bus a few years ago from a 79, but I was able to do this repair in about 45 mins this time. The directions are spot on from the ratwell link

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

Ratwell has a break down of the ignition switches. Your best bet is to find Original German VW which is highly unlikely at this point. Next best is Original VW Brazil. I bought every German switch that I could find 5 years ago and they are all gone as far as I know. There are probably some parts places in Germany that will have the VW Brazil switches. A select few shops in Germany source the best parts available after their German stock runs out. Meyle has long outsourced their production to China. So the whole "German Quality" is a crock of shit. If they are charging 12 bucks for a switch they are paying 5 for it. Original German ones were 30-50 bucks a piece years ago if you could even find them. After 30 minutes of looking it appears that no one has anything but the Chinese Meyle. A guy I have done a lot of business with in Germany may have some. If there is an interest I can put out the feelers. Sadly most of the VW crowd in this country are more than happy to find a 12 dollar switch....and then replace it countless times. But in this country this is what the market will bare for the masses. Thus just a butt load of Chinese Garbage that will fail quickly. Steve's advise will likely add life to the Chinese Meyle switches. Good luck replacing the solonoid...Sadly Bosch has gone down hill at the speed of light as well.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

good info- re: checking resistance in starting circuit- how do you go about doing that- i do have a subwoofer amp connected that will make rumbling noises when i turni on the key to start
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

re: checking the starting circuit resistance, is that a newbie question or i'm just supposed toknow how to do it or you were just throwing out solutions off the top of your head
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

you get your ohm meter out and measure voltage drop across each connection. You lube the starter solenoid because the heat from the motor cooks the grease which makes it sticky, and then the solenoid requires extra current which toasts the starter switch.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 ignition switch Reply with quote

blatzer wrote:
re: checking the starting circuit resistance, is that a newbie question or i'm just supposed toknow how to do it or you were just throwing out solutions off the top of your head

Probably best to google it. You need an ohm meter and you need to look up what the resistance should be for the wire size and the length of wire. Then test your wires.
What you want to check is the Red/black wire that goes from the starter 'B' to the ignition switch "D". Also check the 'T1' connector that is under the dash.
The starter solenoid can also cause an excessive draw.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78_key.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: