Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Favorite Camping Meals
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Nothing better than a steak cooked right over the fire. Usually with foil-wrapped potatoes and some beans on the side.

Eggs and bacon for breakfast, also cooked over the fire. I don't bring a camp stove.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
If it's an overnight getaway I like to prepare.
Smoked white sturgeon, new crop potato “Confit", celery branch salad, vidalia onions and “Chowder Emulsion." Paired with a bottle of Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Cuvée Louise, Dessert i usually whip up a Lemon curd and goat cheese soufflé

On long weekend trips I like to make a classic Boeuf Bourguignon. It's a camp fire favorite.

Laughing

Im traveling with him.....
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Get ready to grimace...MREs. Yeah, yeah, I know. Vets are tired of them, too many calories, too "military" for some folks, no zombie apocalypse yet so we shouldn't dip into the provisions, etc., etc.... But, they're made to keep, plenty of energy, store well, prepare quickly, and ain't too bad compared to C-Rations or the earlier MREs. Coffee, snacks, electrolyte drinks, gum, TP if you get desperate, etc. One can be stretched all day (see aforementioned calorie note), so one case can last just about two weeks for one person, unless you're a chow-hound. That way, you have a stash that can be stored under the seat in case you're away from civilization, and still have room for the more homey/campy road chow.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Turkey chili and corn bread cooked in a dutch oven. I bake the corn bread the first night and save it for the chili I cook on the second night. My wife used to cook the chili on the camp stove but I tried it once in the dutch oven and it came out so much better, there was no going back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also like to cook any trout I catch wrapped in foil with lemon, butter and parsley flakes. 20 min on each side over the camp fire works best.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Dan Hiebert wrote:
Get ready to grimace...MREs. Yeah, yeah, I know. Vets are tired of them, too many calories, too "military" for some folks, no zombie apocalypse yet so we shouldn't dip into the provisions, etc., etc.... But, they're made to keep, plenty of energy, store well, prepare quickly, and ain't too bad compared to C-Rations or the earlier MREs. Coffee, snacks, electrolyte drinks, gum, TP if you get desperate, etc. One can be stretched all day (see aforementioned calorie note), so one case can last just about two weeks for one person, unless you're a chow-hound. That way, you have a stash that can be stored under the seat in case you're away from civilization, and still have room for the more homey/campy road chow.

Grimace. Great for the go-bag, not for camping. BTDTGTTS
okartguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Just did our food prep for the Colorado trip last night -

1. Breakfast burritos stuffed with hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, egg, and cheese.

2. Lunch/dinner burritos stuffed with taco meat, refried beans, and cheese

3. Foil dinners with seasoned steak, potato, and onion

All of the above are foil-wrapped and frozen, and can be warmed up either in the fire or on our propane stove.

These are supplemented with cold cereal, granola bars, ramen cup-a-soup, and sandwich stuff. The goal for this trip was to not have to transport/wash cookware!

'75 Westfalia "Project Orange Peel" https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10164122#10164122
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ksprague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Lots of studies are now linking aluminum contamination with alzheimers, dementia, Parkinsons, & autism.

Seriously? You're driving around in a crash dummy's nightmare - probably the worst accident survival rate of any vehicle to ever grace the roads - day in and day out - just rolling the dice out on that highway . . . and you're worried about long term (70 year) lab rat style CONTINUAL exposure to tinfoil ?

(I mean no disrespect - Alzheimer's and the like is a serious issue, but I hope you can appreciate the inherent comedy that struck me in that - haha)

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began."
~ Bob Weir
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Ksprague wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Lots of studies are now linking aluminum contamination with alzheimers, dementia, Parkinsons, & autism.

Seriously? You're driving around in a crash dummy's nightmare - probably the worst accident survival rate of any vehicle to ever grace the roads - day in and day out - just rolling the dice out on that highway . . . and you're worried about long term (70 year) lab rat style CONTINUAL exposure to tinfoil ?

(I mean no disrespect - Alzheimer's and the like is a serious issue, but I hope you can appreciate the inherent comedy that struck me in that - haha)

I'm still dealing with Skylab in therapy.

Aluminum was a pet theory about about 10 years ago, but it isn't any more.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Robbie ...you to know that pop tarts are just rejected MRE ,don't you?
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

We cook just the same as home,mostly fried eggs for breakfast,bbq for lunch or dinner,we even have made indian including poppadoms in our bus!

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
ajplmama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

We probably won't get out in our bus for the first trip til next season but we do like to eat well when we camp.

Normally we'll bring bacon and eggs for breakfast at least once. Sometimes I'll make breakfast wraps up ahead of time and muffins are good because they don't need to be kept cool.

We like to bring fish or meat to cook on the fire in foil (and it's the only time we ever use foil so I'm OK with the risk). I sometimes partially cook veggies and then wrap in foil to warm on the fire and other times we cook them completely in the woods. I brought ribs in foil once this summer and every kid out in the woods with us was begging for some of our supper!

Chili and other one dish meals made ahead of time and re-heated are great too.

1978 pastel white bay, westy camper being restored
1975 ugly green bay, westy camper for parts
1974 red bay window unknown interior fate TBD
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

the state of California puts labels on my extension cords
that if you chew on them you'll make stupid babies..

I'm not so sure it's the cord's fault Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Just got back from a four day camping trip with the family. I'll just list the dinners.

Night 1. Turkey chili with tortillas and beer.

Night 2. BBQ bratwurst. Blanched in a bath of Newcastle brown ale and chopped onion before going on the grill. Potato salad, sliced watermelon and beer. *(once the Brats are cooked the onions from the beer bath get sauteed to go on the the Bratwurst.)*

Night 3. BBQ steak, fried potatoes with corn on the cob and beer. Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Xevin wrote:
If it's an overnight getaway I like to prepare.
Smoked white sturgeon, new crop potato “Confit", celery branch salad, vidalia onions and “Chowder Emulsion." Paired with a bottle of Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot Noir Cuvée Louise, Dessert i usually whip up a Lemon curd and goat cheese soufflé

On long weekend trips I like to make a classic Boeuf Bourguignon. It's a camp fire favorite.

Laughing

Im traveling with him.....

Xevin and Xaty bring on all the goods. I dont know where they pack it away but at Maupin it was a different meal all the time. Except their cookies those need work Rolling Eyes Laughing

Beans who said beans?

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Fez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

My wife's mother died of alzheimers and she has done a ton of research, along with her PH.D brother, and I can tell you quite confidently that there is no proven link between that disease and aluminum. And it is really hard to avoid that element since it is one of the most common in the earth's crust.

And I have done post-graduate research regarding autism in children. No link there either with aluminum. Two studies that suggested such a link were, after a peer review, determined 'seriously flawed'.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

All the more reason to eat beans.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Camping Meals Reply with quote

Drove to my grandpa's house for the eclipse. Thing is, he moved in with my aunt and uncle a few weeks ago, so the house is hot and fridge is bare. Therefore I'm camping in the driveway. I anticipate more family will show up in the mid-morning.

I couldn't leave until late tonight, so all the fast food restaurants were closed by the time I went through their small towns.

So my best bet was some pizza rolls procured from the freezer at a gas station. They actually turned out decent; better than if I'd have gone in the house and microwaved them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not my favorite, but "ok."

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: