Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine started smoking heavy - Full Teardown
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

that's a dropped valve guide IMO. You can probably see which one when you pop the valve covers off.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
that's a dropped valve guide IMO. You can probably see which one when you pop the valve covers off.

I will take a look there tomorrow. For a dropped valve guide is it ok to just replace the heads or should I do the cylinders also?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I will take a look there tomorrow. For a dropped valve guide is it ok to just replace the heads or should I do the cylinders also?

you wont know that till you can look at them.. if scored yes.. if still pretty .. save the $$
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

vwkirb wrote:
Also a compression tester usually does not leak down. They have a check valve to prevent leakage near the gauge so you can see maximum cylinder pressure measurement.

A leak down test uses compressed air to pressurize the cylinder at tdc, the compressed air source is removed and then it is allowed to sit and the pressure loss is the leakage. Similar tools but set up differently.

x2.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
vwkirb wrote:
Also a compression tester usually does not leak down. They have a check valve to prevent leakage near the gauge so you can see maximum cylinder pressure measurement.

A leak down test uses compressed air to pressurize the cylinder at tdc, the compressed air source is removed and then it is allowed to sit and the pressure loss is the leakage. Similar tools but set up differently.

x2.

This compression tester blew off the air if i disconnected it so i didnt think there was a check valve. I can leak down test it properly tomorrow if I take a look at the valve guides and dont find anything.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

Alright so compression test and visual inspection of the valve guides tomorrow. This just sucks because that engine felt really good when I was driving it around. I guess if I am just looking at a top end rebuild i can go with:

ACN Better than stocker heads
Whatever ratio rockers someone recommends
88mm x 69-74mm Hypereutectic Slip-In Bottom and Machine in Top Piston & Cylinder Set
Dual Weber 34 ICT kit

and wake it up a bit....and pray the bottom end stays together.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

This looks like a tool you should make:

https://www.powernationtv.com/two-minute-tech/2min-125/make-a-leak-down-test-tool
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
vwkirb wrote:

x2.

Somebody should school the noobs on what a leak down is...
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

I forgot the leakdown tester I made at work so that will have to wait until tomorrow. I pulled the valve covers and watched while rotating the engine by hand. None of the valve guides moved and they all looked brand new, the heads look brand new. The only thing I saw is in the image below #2 exhaust valve guide looked like it has some gunk on it while the others are all shiny new. Hard to get a picture under the car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

I never understood why some head guys coat the valve stems with assembly lube, and even anti-seize. Rolling Eyes

All it does is keep the oil out and increases wear. Maybe they are trying to keep a lot of work in the pipeline for themselves.....

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I never understood why some head guys coat the valve stems with assembly lube, and even anti-seize. Rolling Eyes

All it does is keep the oil out and increases wear. Maybe they are trying to keep a lot of work in the pipeline for themselves.....

It's caked on there for sure but so far I'm not seeing anything really wrong. Hoping the leak down tells me something.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

I forgot the leakdown tester again so I will do that today. I pulled the air cleaner off though in preparation and noticed there was a film of oil in the carb. Is it possible i have to much crankcase pressure somehow?

I did just recently pull the pressure relief valves and check them, oil pressure is about 60psi at startup and once warmed up is in the 7-10psi range at idle and 30-40 psi in the 2k-3k rpm range.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

getting the leak down test done is frustrating. The tool i made really just let me listen to where air was going which didnt tell much. I went to two auto parts stores and they had no idea what I was talking about and did not stock them. So i went to harbor freight where they had one...I got it home used it once...and the gauge broke. So now I ordered a decent one of amazon and will have to wait another day.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

gauge reading or not, where did you hear the leakage?

Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
I pulled the air cleaner off though in preparation and noticed there was a film of oil in the carb. Is it possible i have to much crankcase pressure somehow?

How is your crank case vented? Could be simple as too small of a vent pushing oil into the carb (if you have it hooked up that way)

Maybe a picture of the engine would help. Oh and the plugs look normal to me although one picture is dark and it's hard to see.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

This is what a proper "Leak Down Tester" looks like...

And yes I use it, I just don't like it to get all greasy, which is also why I don't let any body else use it.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Hatracks wrote:
I pulled the air cleaner off though in preparation and noticed there was a film of oil in the carb. Is it possible i have to much crankcase pressure somehow?

How is your crank case vented? Could be simple as too small of a vent pushing oil into the carb (if you have it hooked up that way)

Maybe a picture of the engine would help. Oh and the plugs look normal to me although one picture is dark and it's hard to see.

vented from oil filler to air cleaner.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
This is what a proper "Leak Down Tester" looks like...

And yes I use it, I just don't like it to get all greasy, which is also why I don't let any body else use it.

Casey

Yeah I ordered a good one, I have been driving and building old cars for a lot of years and never had a use for one. I did not realize how much of a pain in the ass it was to find one locally.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
I forgot the leakdown tester I made at work so that will have to wait until tomorrow. I pulled the valve covers and watched while rotating the engine by hand. None of the valve guides moved and they all looked brand new, the heads look brand new. The only thing I saw is in the image below #2 exhaust valve guide looked like it has some gunk on it while the others are all shiny new. Hard to get a picture under the car.

I see a chunk of metal at the top of the valve spring.. its tiny but its metal
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine started smoking heavy - plugs pictures/compression test Reply with quote

I have an OTC one. The amount of times I'd use it didn't justify an expensive one. Just check gauge calibration and your good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: