Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig hc oil pan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Bostig hc oil pan Reply with quote

Hi guys. Maybe I'm just tired but I can't seem to figure out the last part of Bostig's hc oil pan install.

I'm left with a rubber boot, clamp and what appears to be some type of freeze out plug. There is another threaded hole next to the drain plug. Does this plug go in there? This thing does not seem like it's a sensor of any kind.

Does the dipstick get relocated? What's with the rubber boot? The instructions just ended at "plug/pigtail".

Sorry, I just feel funny putting in a ticket to these guys again lol.

Thanks Samba Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: bostig hc oil pan Reply with quote

SyncroBilly wrote:
Hi guys. Maybe I'm just tired but I can't seem to figure out the last part of Bostig's hc oil pan install.

I'm left with a rubber boot, clamp and what appears to be some type of freeze out plug. There is another threaded hole next to the drain plug. Does this plug go in there? This thing does not seem like it's a sensor of any kind.

Does the dipstick get relocated? What's with the rubber boot? The instructions just ended at "plug/pigtail".

The rubber boot and clamp are most likely to block the oil return for the turbo upgrade (mine was already on the pan).

The hole next to the drain plug is a sensor for the low indicator light and the pigtail plugs into it.

The dipstick does not get relocated.

I'm not sure what that other thing is, I don't recall that in my kit ... but they might have changed something since then.

Hope that helps!
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does help thank you. Weird. The pan didn't come with the sensor. just this little plug. Guess I'll put in another ticket hehe. Thanks again
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity is correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That plug doesn't inspire a lot of confidence . . . I could see it loosening and falling into the pan. I just got a little rubber boot at OReillys (like Bostig gives you for the vacuum ports on the intake manifold) slipped it over and secured with a small hose clamp. It is in a high heat area however.

More details on my HCOP "Re-do" here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/HCOPReDo#

Oil level sender came with my pan as I recall (just had to get the pigtail). Ask Jim what you should have.

Jed
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard back from Kyle at Bostig. It seems there were problems with the oil light staying on and turning on while taking turns and such. They are working on a new setup.

I just plugged it with the old Zetec oil plug for now. That little rubber test plug seems pretty flimsy.

Thanks Jed.
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug can't fall in, the top washer is bigger than the hole. Use a little threadlock and it'll never loosen or fall in. Jed, keep an eye on that rubber boot, it is going to be constantly pushed/pulled both by crankcase pressure and power pulses and may fail at some point. Using the plug plus the rubber cap provided will last years.

Cheers,

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now I see what the plug does. I guess I need to install it in the steel tube and then place boot over it. I wound up using the zetec's pan plug on the lower threaded fitting ( right next to the new pan's plug). Was not in the manual.

Thanks Jim.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense. Mine was installed on the pan when I got it, so I never saw the plug under the rubber cap.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig hc oil pan Reply with quote

I got the HCOP and a sensor FLS-85 that Jim suggested and I have 2 questions:
1-i'm having trouble threading it into the hcop, does anyone else also have this?
----turns out I had crossthreaded the thing (by hand) so after cleaning up the threads it fit fine

2-do you have to buy a pigtail for this sensor? it looks very specialized...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: