Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

instrument cluster
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
junker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: instrument cluster Reply with quote

Hay all my 1993 Euro MV instrument cluster just quit out of the blue. No fuses blown. No gas gauge, no temp gauge, nothing. warning lights still work.

Ideas?

Thanks
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument cluster Reply with quote

Mine did that once and then a few months later the circuit board burned up while the van was parked. Thankfully the dash didn't catch fire. Could have been completely unrelated.

I'd open it up and look for a cracked solder joint or loose connection. Might not be a bad idea to source out a replacement to have as back-up.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
junker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: instrument cluster Reply with quote

Thanks I was hoping for a fix. Seems like everything on the Euro is a "replace"
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument cluster Reply with quote

"Most" times the typical fix is as posted above about opening up the cluster and re soldering the pins. I've read where some could see the cracked solder and some that could not, but re soldering got their fuel and temperature gauges working again.

Chubs auto repair will repair it pretty reasonably. They are the go to place for vw cluster repair of this vintage. They replaced about 5 components on my diesel cluster. The bill was $65, which included the shipping back. So you would have to account for shipping it there as well. I've installed the diesel cluster now and have a gas/manual cluster available if you're interested as well. Best to call them to get an idea of what the cost will be. Turn around varies though. They were real busy when my cluster came in and got it back in 3 weeks. Some have gotten theirs back in far less time.

Chubs Auto
605 S Cheyenne St
Taylorville, IL 62568
Phone number (217) 824-3954
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: instrument cluster Reply with quote

Reach around to the back of the cluster from under the dash and make sure the multi-pin plug is in tight.

I would do it with the ignition on because broken solder joints can be right at the plug and even wiggling it will restore power.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
junker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: instrument cluster Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Ill pull the cluster and see if I can find any broken solder joints. Makes sense I found one on my back interior light. Having a repair facility is a great option. Thanks again
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument cluster Reply with quote

When I first got my EV it was not running and battery was dead so I could not test anything! The cluster trim had been removed. After installing a new battery I found the gauges did not work, all lights did work but no gauges. Replaced the whole thing and now everything works fine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: