Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

So there isn't much info out there about the pads that top the bulkheads of non-Westfalia buses from '68-'76. In my effort to make my tin-top Westy into a Station Wagon with a bed, I have gone through the effort to install the pads. I have some helpful info for anyone looking to do the same, and a few questions for my next step.

I was given what I thought was a semi-nappy-ass (sorry Gabe!) set of pads and retaining strips from Spike0180 exactly one year ago this week. I was thankful at the time, because they only had some cosmetic defects, instead of the usual rips and bends. After a few hours of scrubbing with Tide and hot water, they were ready for vinyl paint. I didn't realize how great of condition they were really in, compared to some of the buses out there:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Along with the pads themselves, came the retaining strips for sanding, etching primer-ing, and painting. (Brian/BajaBug/20w50 shown for scale…)

ONE of the these strips is shorter than the others:

This is to accommodate the driver's side bulkhead, which is SLIGHTLY narrower than the passenger side bulkhead. In my opinion, this is owing to the fact that the driver's seat is twisted 3° towards center for a more pleasant driving experience. (Any time I drive a "modern" car I find myself drifting towards the right sides of lanes, because my bus seat is twisted to accommodate driver's eye parallax, and no other car is.) So the short strip goes on the horizontal piece, on the driver's side.

I used twenty 1/8" x 1/8" steel rivets to hold the rear of the panels in. Drilling new holes into the Westy bulkheads allows me to avoid the "spreading" that you see in high-milage station wagons with these pads. Mine will fit flush forever, I suspect:

…and twelve #8 - 5/8" sheet metal screws to hold the retaining strips to the round bulkhead tops and sides. (1/2" screws may work- the local ACE was out of them today.) Sorry for the lack of picture.

The passenger side is easy because you have access from the sliding door, but the driver's side seat is easier to slide forward, so it's a total wash for difficulty.

And now I need your help! Does anybody have original panels that they can photograph for me, so I can make a set? I have the physical dimensions in front of me, but I will need to see how the panels attach to the bulkhead pad holes. Do they use clips/pins like the front door cards?

Here's where I'm stopped, waiting to see if I should order the Werksberg panels, or have custom stuff made up. Either way, they're going to be upholstered to match my copper interior…

Thanks in advance!
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

Can´t help much, but the panels use regular clips like front cards do. The bottom of the panels are held by (aluminium?) rails.

|82x94|

1961 Deluxe beetle, 1971 type 181, 1968 T2a Baywindow, 1973 Type 147 "Swiss Fridolin"(sold), 1966 Deluxe sedan (sold), 1983 "Silver Bug" edition (sold), 1961 beetle (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

you're missing the lower aluminum channels as mentioned.

they only clip into the metal on the pads. look for the "tail" of metal hanging off of them. you will see holes that are big enough to have door panel clips to attach to.

wish I knew you wanted panels....I have some stray grey/white ones and black ones

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

Thnx to jersey
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html
http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-8.html
Looks like you are missing #40 Lower partition end strips.
Panels are held on by #2
Note the direction #40-41 Rivets are installed so the unfinished side it covered by the panel and also they are different lengths.
If the holes have opened up. You can use Rivet washers on the back side to prevent them from pulling through.

Good luck
Tcash
NOS

Whole shooting match
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1995355
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I was given what I thought was a semi-nappy-ass (sorry Gabe!) set of pads and retaining strips from Spike0180 exactly one year ago this week. ...

They were dusty. And looked pretty nappy-ass, but they had good bones. My dash looks the same right now. I should probably do what you did to those to my dash. Is there a thread that shows how you cleaned, filled, and painted those? At least the cleaning part. Just a scrub brush and green-clean?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

Thanks gents for letting me know about the aluminum trim strips. I'll look for a set now... I don't need any old panels, as I'm trying to get my upholsterer to match my existing "resto-mod" (ugh..) panels.

Skills, I didn't even know I wanted pads until I got sick of getting greasy handprints on my bulkheads. Other people need to keep their shit cleaner so I can continue to wrench on it with white upholstery... Laughing

Spike0180 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
I was given what I thought was a semi-nappy-ass (sorry Gabe!) set of pads and retaining strips from Spike0180 exactly one year ago this week. ...
Is there a thread that shows how you cleaned, filled, and painted those? At least the cleaning part. Just a scrub brush and green-clean?

Yeah, structurally, they were perfect, but I didn't realize it because they had some white over-spray and some dents/scratches. I use a Tide/hot water mix and a nylon scrub brush to just go at them for a while until the rinse water comes off clean/blue. After that, just hot water for another scrubbing rinse, so the paint will stick. I used UltraBlack RTV to fill a few cracks, and right before the RTV was dry, I used a toothpick to etch some lines in the patches so you can't tell it apart from the original texture. I left them to hang dry for a day, and used the RustOleum Plastic Paint+Primer in gloss black to paint them. I WISH I had some semi-gloss black, but I didn't have any on the shelf and a few beers didn't want me to drive to Homo Depot. So I held the can a few feet away to try to get an orange peel finish so they wouldn't shine too much.

They shine too much anyway.
Robbie

EDIT: Gotta go drill out a few dozen pop rivets and reverse them with washers. Like, DUH Robbie…………
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

honestly, they are cheap enough new...BUT they don't have the plastic ring on them like they did from the factory....not a big deal if you have no vents running to the rear of the bus

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
neilswheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

Did you find any bottom trim pieces? Im looking at the moment. Thanks
gtarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthrough bay bulkhead pad install and question ('68-'76) Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
So there isn't much info out there about the pads that top the bulkheads of non-Westfalia buses from '68-'76. In my effort to make my tin-top Westy into a Station Wagon with a bed, I have gone through the effort to install the pads. I have some helpful info for anyone looking to do the same, and a few questions for my next step.

I was given what I thought was a semi-nappy-ass (sorry Gabe!) set of pads and retaining strips from Spike0180 exactly one year ago this week. I was thankful at the time, because they only had some cosmetic defects, instead of the usual rips and bends. After a few hours of scrubbing with Tide and hot water, they were ready for vinyl paint. I didn't realize how great of condition they were really in, compared to some of the buses out there:

Along with the pads themselves, came the retaining strips for sanding, etching primer-ing, and painting. (Brian/BajaBug/20w50 shown for scale…)

ONE of the these strips is shorter than the others:

This is to accommodate the driver's side bulkhead, which is SLIGHTLY narrower than the passenger side bulkhead. In my opinion, this is owing to the fact that the driver's seat is twisted 3° towards center for a more pleasant driving experience. (Any time I drive a "modern" car I find myself drifting towards the right sides of lanes, because my bus seat is twisted to accommodate driver's eye parallax, and no other car is.) So the short strip goes on the horizontal piece, on the driver's side.

I used twenty 1/8" x 1/8" steel rivets to hold the rear of the panels in. Drilling new holes into the Westy bulkheads allows me to avoid the "spreading" that you see in high-milage station wagons with these pads. Mine will fit flush forever, I suspect:

…and twelve #8 - 5/8" sheet metal screws to hold the retaining strips to the round bulkhead tops and sides. (1/2" screws may work- the local ACE was out of them today.) Sorry for the lack of picture.

The passenger side is easy because you have access from the sliding door, but the driver's side seat is easier to slide forward, so it's a total wash for difficulty.

And now I need your help! Does anybody have original panels that they can photograph for me, so I can make a set? I have the physical dimensions in front of me, but I will need to see how the panels attach to the bulkhead pad holes. Do they use clips/pins like the front door cards?

Here's where I'm stopped, waiting to see if I should order the Werksberg panels, or have custom stuff made up. Either way, they're going to be upholstered to match my copper interior…

Thanks in advance!
Robbie

Hello! Were you ever able to finish the install of these along with the panels?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: