Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

degree pulley ring timing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Buy a degree pulley and upgrade to the heavier style to get the get extra benefits. Kill two birds with one stone and be done with it. Etched is better than a stick on label.

Swapping out the pulley may take longer than 45 seconds, but it shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes.

Or using your old stock 7" diameter pulley you can make a mark 1 3/4" over from TDC for 28°.

Hi Wildthings and Aeromech! I need to do a valve adjustment on my 71 bus and I have the aftermarket etched degreed pulley. Can you walk me through the process of using this ring properly?
Also I found out recently that the aftermarket pulley is a different diameter than the oem one and the belts used are different sizes...doh!

Thanks!

1971 Westfalia adventure wagon Festy Westy.

1977 Tintop, Weekender conversion in progress.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

I can certainly do that but if your engine has the smaller "power pulley" installed you better get that off asap and get the stock diameter pulley before you do anything else. Can you upload a pic of your engine?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I can certainly do that but if your engine has the smaller "power pulley" installed you better get that off asap and get the stock diameter pulley before you do anything else. Can you upload a pic of your engine?

I don't have a pic right now but if you watch the beginning of this video I made you can kind of see what I'm dealing with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AYCvGs7VkQ

It is a smaller diameter because what I thought was a spare belt turned out to be too big... The aftermarket pulley was a PO install. What is wrong with it being smaller?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AYCvGs7VkQ

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the video if that's a power pulley or not. Looks like not from here. Measure the diameter. It should be 7 inches I believe. Do you know what size belt you installed? Should be a X 905 I think.

The reason they call them "power pulleys" is because being a smaller diameter makes it easier for the engine to turn, therefore giving you a bit more HP to the wheels. The problem is that it affects how fast your cooling fan turns. In a bus, cooling is very important. Much more so than say a bug or dune buggy which is where you generally find power pulleys.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

Link

Link
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Hard to tell from the video if that's a power pulley or not. Looks like not from here. Measure the diameter. It should be 7 inches I believe. Do you know what size belt you installed? Should be a X 905 I think.

The reason they call them "power pulleys" is because being a smaller diameter makes it easier for the engine to turn, therefore giving you a bit more HP to the wheels. The problem is that it affects how fast your cooling fan turns. In a bus, cooling is very important. Much more so than say a bug or dune buggy which is where you generally find power pulleys.

Here is a better picture of my pulley. It is 7" in diameter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

That one looks fine. Let me know if you still have questions about adjusting your valves.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

Yes, 7" is the stock size. You just need to follow any good guide for adjusting the valves. If you don't already have it John Muir's Idiot Book is a good primer for beginners.
airshac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That one looks fine. Let me know if you still have questions about adjusting your valves.

I guess my real question is how do I use this pulley to aid In adjusting the valves as opposed to guessing about tdc etc.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

airshac wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can clearly see the TDC markings in this photo. It is in the same location as the "U" on a stock pulley and needs to be aligned with the crankcase parting line. You will need to verify which piston is at TDC by looking at which spark plug wire the rotor is pointed at if the plug wires are known to be in the correct location (as in the engine will run normally), or checking for valve overlap on an engine which may not have its wires in the correct order and thus doesn't run. You can also check when compression is occurring on a given cylinder by removing one or more spark plugs.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

the exact split in the case (part line) is the timing pointer. The number on the puller is degrees.

O is Top dead center (marked TDC) the opposite side is BDC or bottom dead center. Some cylinders - 1 and 3 are adjusted at TDC, and 2 and 4 are adjusted at BDC
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

One bit of advice for you since you're just learning. When you go to adjust a valve, if you think you have to turn the adjuster more than about half a turn either direction then you need to stop because you probably don't have the engine in the correct position.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

Vintage VW Training Film - Valve Adjustments Part 1-2

Link

Link
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

guess I am weird.. or stuck in the past.. I use my ear, hand & seat of paints to set timing..
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
guess I am weird.. or stuck in the past.. I use my ear, hand & seat of paints to set timing..

on what? your 350 chevy?
this method--if you can even call it that--may work for you on those types of cars but is a big time no-no on an ACVW, especially a bus.
i wouldn't call it weird or stuck in the past, i would call it something else...

yeah, they run great with about 45deg max advance, but it also tends to put holes in the tops of pistons Rolling Eyes
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

on what? your 350 chevy?
this method--if you can even call it that--may work for you on those types of cars but is a big time no-no on an ACVW, especially a bus.
i wouldn't call it weird or stuck in the past, i would call it something else...

yeah, they run great with about 45deg max advance, but it also tends to put holes in the tops of pistons Rolling Eyes

why you always find the sweet spot then back it down a tad.. and never had a VW engine come back with a hole in piston..
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

I cannot find the article. But they did a experiment, where they attached a timing control knob to the dash of a car. Something like this ADJUSTABLE TIMING CONTROL. They explained to the test subjects Mechanics and Laymen alike, what pinging was. Then instructed them to drive the vehicle and adjust the timing to eliminate pinging and get the best performance.
The results where Laymen where as capable as Mechanics at finding that sweet spot.
There are just too many variables to state one timing specification is right for all conditions.
Time on
Tcash
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I cannot find the article. But they did a experiment, where they attached a timing control knob to the dash of a car. Something like this ADJUSTABLE TIMING CONTROL. They explained to the test subjects Mechanics and Laymen alike, what pinging was. Then instructed them to drive the vehicle and adjust the timing to eliminate pinging and get the best performance.
The results where Laymen where as capable as Mechanics at finding that sweet spot.
There are just too many variables to state one timing specification is right for all conditions.
Time on
Tcash

and then you have people like me.. that have a very good feel for things.. and can tell what is going on.. its called experience.. stating at 10 on lawn mower engines then age 13 in a real shop.. built my first engine when I was 14 it was a 351C 4V boss mustang.. All out race engines.. YES timing light is critical but in most cases .. no its not..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Time on
Tcash

and then you have people like me.. that have a very good feel for things.. and can tell what is going on.. its called experience.. stating at 10 on lawn mower engines then age 13 in a real shop.. built my first engine when I was 14 it was a 351C 4V boss mustang.. All out race engines.. YES timing light is critical but in most cases .. no its not..

Your experience sounds very similar to mine, but even doing it "by ear" there are times when engine heat and load align to make even the best eyeball job ping even though it's been fine for months, I prefer to sacrifice a tiny bit of everyday performance for the safety of setting it with the light at speed and not having to rebuild my (or a customers) engine.
Go ahead and time however you like, but be careful suggesting a noob with no ear for it try the same thing. Aircooleds are noisy and it's hard to pick out the ping from the other normal noises they make if your "ear" isn't tuned for it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: degree pulley ring Reply with quote

Timing by ear lacks repeatability something which is important to most engines and very important to an air cooled as even a 2° variance in timing can make a noticeable difference in head temps.

I used to run sub regular Gulftane gas in my old land cruiser and time it by ear so it just pinged lightly at 20 mph in high gear when floored, but have always timed my aircooled either statically or with a light so that I know exactly where the timing is at. I can check my timing statically at a campground or filling station with not tools, just listening for the spark as I turn the engine over by hand. If the timing is off I know something is happening that needs to be fixed then and there and not tomorrow or the next day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: