Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it??
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fordp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

I bought the CB performance breather box / oil filler combo. It's a piece of junk. I tried using a large breather filter on the top and it clogged with oil. I'm wondering if the following will work:

* Take valve vents to my unused empi breather box, come into the CB oil filler/breather from the top with a single line from the empi breather.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or
* Add sponge to the baffles in the CB performance breather box/oil filler
* Take 1 or two lines up to an empi breather box, the third outlet I wouldn't know where to take to....

The reason I mention the second option is then the oil filler breather is there and the valve breather. With the second option, I feel like the CB "breather" will be blowing UP into the empi box....... or would that not be a bad thing?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

What size engine is this and what RPM range do you turn?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fordp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

1776 w/ unknown aftermarket crank and cam.

I never rev it above 4k. Im suspecting worn rings but we have bug splash coming up July 9th in Dallas so i dont want to start a rebuild to 1904 quite yet
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Run a single 5/8 ID tube out the top of the CB breather box and point it at the ground.
If dripping oil on driveway is forbidden then put a soup can on the end of the tube, empty weekly.

If this system is not good enough, it still pukes out too much oil, so much you have to keep adding it, quit driving it. It's dead.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

fordp wrote:
I bought the CB performance breather box / oil filler combo. It's a piece of junk.

Sell it, you don't need it or the EMPI box for a 1776. Get a $8.00 mini air filter and put it on the stock oil fill vent and your done. If you insist on keeping the ugly CB thing than block off all the holes and put one mini filter on top.

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1768.htm
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fordp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

It's puking enough oil from the breather that I am leaning towards "it's dead".

I'm thinking since it's already out it can stay out and I can work on rebuilding it while finishing the interior Sad
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

fordp wrote:

I'm thinking since it's already out it can stay out and I can work on rebuilding it while finishing the interior Sad

So you are actually saying that this cb oil filler/breather is a piece of junk because it cannot remedy a worn out engine. Makes total sense to me,,,,, or
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fordp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
fordp wrote:

So you are actually saying that this cb oil filler/breather is a piece of junk because it cannot remedy a worn out engine. Makes total sense to me,,,,, or

It's beyond that. The included seal doesn't fit, so I had to cover it in permatex. The place I bought it from, I was talking with their head mechanic yesterday and he told me he refuses to install them because they just leak.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Interesting. I have installed, and used maybe 50 of them. Had ONE that leaked. That was from a batch made in China. They are now cast in the states again and have seen no problems since then. Yes, sometimes the seal needs a little massage to fit. Apart from that, no problems. and yes, I always coat the rubber gasket in Loctite 5926.
Bu if your engine pukes so much ouil that it comes out on top of that breather I suggest you find another engine or rebuild the one you have.
And no, it is not designed to have a road draft. It is designed to be hooked up to the aircleaners so you get a proper vacum draft from the breather box.
A road draft will work, but why when you can do it properly (?)

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Are you sure you have the little aluminum deflector under the alternator stand?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Sorry for your troubles.
The engine might make a good "research subject" for testing different breather layouts. It will sure put them to the test!
But I don't have a lot of hope for the empi breather box. Those things are very common. If there was a best way to hook it up, I think somebody would have discovered it by now, even if by accident. As far as I can tell they are mainly decorative. IMO the best simple breather is you take a small steel tank 3-4" in diameter, like a old fire extinguisher, old propane bottle, and mount it vertically. Lines from engine go in 2/3 up at an angle, a "tangent" so it spins in there and throws the oil to the outside. Bottom is drain and top is vent.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Never ran one of those. To me, they're just like the Berg breather. They still usually get vented elsewhere. IMO, the best is stock exit, through a REAL air/oil separator, into a carb top, or into a crank evac.
fordp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
Are you sure you have the little aluminum deflector under the alternator stand?

It was upside down :/

I had to wait on a clutch pressure plate so I'm throwing on new cylinders and pistons and she should be ready to go again.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

fordp wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
fordp wrote:

It's beyond that. The included seal doesn't fit, so I had to cover it in permatex. The place I bought it from, I was talking with their head mechanic yesterday and he told me he refuses to install them because they just leak.

I have one in my xr310 cam'd 2276....revs high. Zero leaks. Must be an I.D.10 T. error
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

fordp wrote:

No doubt the stock seal is questionable for the task, especially once it's been up to operating temp and is no longer soft. I've bought a few feet of o-ring cord, and had no leaks whatsoever, even after having the cover on and off a dozen times. Check it out
https://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=191jm9f
I can't remember what size I bought, but I picked one that was just over the groove depth. Glue it into the groove with some threebond, make sure to put the seam at the top Very Happy
I also have several pieces of perforated sheet metal jammed in there, and a stainless scrubber. The thing worked reasonably well for me, but recently I figured a few things out on my car that improved the breathing A LOT, and I mat try ditching the CB box and going to a stock oil fill. I think it'll work, will post the details under a separate thread later.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Vented to the top of the carbs only. Well over 10 years, never an issue. Razz

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
fordp wrote:

x2. also just because something leeks dosent mean there is something rong with any of it Shocked it could be the installer Wink everything is simple but not everyone sees the simple solution. you need large hoses, and more than 1 of them. I dont think I would rely on just that box for the breathing,but I havent got one in my hands so...it may work just fine if done right, probably will. but there are many wrights and rongs, choose witch right is wright for you and then do it rite. so you oil dont get left on the driveway in modocks soup can. this may include a new engine or just more fittings&hoe's......now that i think about it I did build a engine with one of the cb towers...a far as I know it didnt leek and worked fine.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: CB Performance Breather Box - How to use it?? Reply with quote

I use one on my race engine with 2 mini filters. One on the top and one on the back on the highest fitting. I run a #8 line from my fuel pump block off and no baffle under the stand. Has been good to 7500rpm over the mile.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: