Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seriously thinking going electric
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

It should be noted for all the Debbie Doubters around here that there are already a fair number of electric Transporters out there on the road, so it's not like this is some kind of fantastical voyage being contemplated. Just like any vehicle modification outside of factory spec, this one may not match the OP's goals and expectations, but then again maybe it will. It seems worthy of exploration even if only on paper, since electric drive is the way of the future. The more the explorations the better for all. Go for it early and often.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
I hate to be a party pooper. I'm totally pro environment. My wife drives a Prius. But you have to think things through-

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/20/tesla-car-b...e-driving/

Poop, yes. Thought, no.

that is a total BS site - I hope you are more careful when shopping for groceries

https://thinkprogress.org/george-will-and-wattsupw...7e51b93b36

Touché!

I found this on another forum and didn't bother to fact check before posting it here, but after your comment I did. The only reasoned argument against the Swede's findings had to do with the composition of Swedish gasoline and their driving habits. The article ( in Popular Mechanics) downgraded the Swedes findings to 3-6 years for American drivers. Still something to consider.

So, yeah , I'm guilty of superficial news gathering. But my basic message is not meant to be anti electric or anti global, it' meant to be that we to always think a little before jumping on a bandwagon and not to think just because it's electric it's got to be good for the environment. Covfefe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It should be noted for all the Debbie Doubters around here that there are already a fair number of electric Transporters out there on the road, so it's not like this is some kind of fantastical voyage being contemplated. Just like any vehicle modification outside of factory spec, this one may not match the OP's goals and expectations, but then again maybe it will. It seems worthy of exploration even if only on paper, since electric drive is the way of the future. The more the explorations the better for all. Go for it early and often.

whoa - pour some reality on it Exclamation
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Listen and weep for all your quashed hopes, dreams and aspirations

Link

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

The way of the future is ill- defined

Tomorrow? No.

One year ? No.

Five years ? Some

Me? Never. Nothing to do with the technology. More my station in life.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG19lAsJqcA

http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/elektro-camping...39796.html

https://bauplan-elektroauto.de/elektrischer-vw-bus/

https://e-syncro.potz1000.ch/
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Go the distance and make it solar powered...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZ1zbqAGA0
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
"what do you think makes EVERYTHING we touch a reality? oil....period.

I have it on good authority that is actually beer, not oil. (Someone on theSamba said it. Or was it STF?)
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:

https://e-syncro.potz1000.ch/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's a great one. The workmanship is incredible. I'll have two, thanks. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
Go the distance and make it solar powered...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZ1zbqAGA0

Oil based fuel cars are already solar powered...
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Hold on now, let me at this!

First, "Good Luck wishes"

Wouldn't want to have anyone think I was not polite, or negative, and thus cause yet another flame-out.

Now that the pleasantries have been dealt out, here is something that no greenie wants to hear:

Particulate emissions of EV's or Hybrids are not confined to the production of said electricity alone. There have been plenty of studies on electric vehicles that show particulate emissions MUST INCLUDE the bits of tire that are exuded into the atmosphere due to the weight increases of the on-board power reserve.

My brother went to the Toyota P-thingy. And even replaced that one with yet another P-thingy after that one got aged. Both of them have needed tires yearly.

Its a Pie In The Face issue as far as I can tell.

All that being said, I still want to add an electric front end to my 2WD Van. Would be WAY COOL, IMHO.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

The efficiency of the power plant that powers your Prius ranges from 33-45%, nearly the same as your gas engine car. While you operate at about 1/2 the cost, you actually have nearly the same consumption of fuel (coal oil gas) per mile travelled. Throw in power transmission losses and this might get ugly.

Ive left off nuclear as its amazingly green, and you can color in the the counties/cities/countries that you nuke green for the exclusion zone to make you feel better about the oil you aren't using. Add another 4-5 units to the logarithm of cost to make up for that clean up energy use.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The efficiency of the power plant that powers your Prius ranges from 33-45%, nearly the same as your gas engine car. While you operate at about 1/2 the cost, you actually have nearly the same consumption of fuel (coal oil gas) per mile travelled. Throw in power transmission losses and this might get ugly.

No - studies show that even 100% coal fired electricity is about half as polluting as a gas engine car.

If you think about it, you can see this as it much easier to run pollution controls on a single large source than on thousands of mobile sources.

In the PNW, or if you are using solar panels in SoCal/AZ to recharge, the pollution is much, much less.

The tire particle thing does not differ among different power sources. Obviously electric cars are not at an absolute zero for pollution, but neither is shoe leather or a bicycle.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Abscate wrote:

No - studies show that even 100% coal fired electricity is about half as polluting as a gas engine car.

If you think about it, you can see this as it much easier to run pollution controls on a single large source than on thousands of mobile sources.

In the PNW, or if you are using solar panels in SoCal/AZ to recharge, the pollution is much, much less.

The tire particle thing does not differ among different power sources. Obviously electric cars are not at an absolute zero for pollution, but neither is shoe leather or a bicycle.

The consumption and pollution levels are different of course. It's very reasonable to use the same amount of fuel and generate less pollution from an electric grid.approach over fossil fuel,agreed.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
People are too individual. It will take dekades of evolution to change the mind.
You can see this in your post.
Speaking about big future, but thinking about individual costs.

Who cares about some autonom driving vehicles.
How long do you think it will take ppl driving in south America, Africa, India, China with autonom vehicles ?

How many wars will be done for Oil and Gas till electric vehicles take over ?

not meaning to hijack thread
good points but since 1980 there has been autonomous vehicles control systems that i am aware of . the one thing that i would point out that a vehicle control or driving system dosent have to be only autonomous(completely driver free) it should have manual override. and it doesnt have to be completely automatic it could be incrementally functional features. something like collision avoidance could save millions of lives and prevent injuries and car suicides, road rage, hitting pedestrians, bike(motor and bicycles), staged car accidents for insurance payouts, drunk, or drugged drivers etc. the reason i care about this is i was hit by a car doing 45mph while i was riding my bicycle on a straight road on a sunny day about mid afternoon by a guy 86 years young and his only excuse was he didnt see me. i had blinking tail lights and reflectors and reflector tape on. lucky for me i saw him in my rear view mirror and got partially out of the way before i bounced off his fender and he ran over my bike. so taking some of the functions away from people driving a vehicle in my opinion is important.
1990 vw automatic camper
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Problem solved:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW is making an EV microbus for you. Save your money for that instead of converting some ancient technology not suited for it.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Marcq wrote:
Had the van weighted this morning 1.69( 3 380 pound) thought it would be heavier

Marc..

Mine (stripped down) weighed out at 3100 something.
Best of luck to you. A hybrid or plugin vanagon would be the perfect vehicle. Most Westfalias are too heavy and driven too fast, but mine's not. You could strap a Tesla Powerwall on the roof Cool

Can you tell me where you successfully smogged in Garden Grove (or elsewhere in LA)? By PM if you don't want to say in a post.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
skills hit the answer right in the keyhole.

Lightning, if we could only develop a way to harness and distribute the power of lightning

i agree to some extent about harvesting lightning but the real question is can we develop a system that mimics the process of how lightning is created in nature? first we have to understand precisely how that process works and then try to engineer a system that will produce the same results so we can harvest the electricity. there is research being done on nuclear batteries that convert radiation to light and that to electricity. if i remember correctly i think some of the original voyager space probes used this technology to power the probes.
1990 vw automatic camper
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Maybe this place (EV West) has been mentioned in one of these threads…

Quote:
EV West is a boutique car garage specializing in removing combustion engines and replacing them with electric batteries. Bream and his team of around a dozen technicians have transformed everything from a 1950s Volkswagen bus to a Ferrari 308 GTS from gas guzzlers to fully-electric rides.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

I'm assume that folks in the Vanagon forum might not travel to the Split Bus forum often, so here's a pertinent thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685542

Fitting out a Splittie with the idea of production of a kit from the get-go. Interesting times!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: