Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I wonder what happened to the Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: I wonder what happened to the Thing? Reply with quote

On the way the Syracuse NY VW show (back in 2014) I spotted a Thing in a field close to the highway. At the time my cousin in Syracuse was interested in buying one, so I snapped a picture on the way home:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The following year I took another picture as the car was still in the field:

Well now a tradition was born, so I took a picture in 2016. The car had been moved a few hundred feet, closer to an old garage. There were other cars (and what looks like snowmobiles) in the field, including a Beetle:

I just got back from the 2017 show, and took this picture. The entire yard has been cleared. I wonder what happened to the Thing (and Beetle)?

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I wonder what happened to the Thing? Reply with quote

They've all been restored and are back on the road, of course! Very Happy In that door on the left, out the door on the right, angels singing. Snowmobiles too! (should have fixed a lawn mower) Just that crappy red boat left, nobody can fix that.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what happened to the Thing? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
They've all been restored and are back on the road, of course! Very Happy In that door on the left, out the door on the right, angels singing. Snowmobiles too! (should have fixed a lawn mower) Just that crappy red boat left, nobody can fix that.

All Things go to heaven Blue 181 Blue 181
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what happened to the Thing? Reply with quote

I drove by an old 60's bus for a few years parked in a front yard. No sign on it or anything. When I went by this year it was gone. Silly me for not stopping to ask about it. Hindsight is 20 20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Technut27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: I wonder what happened to the Thing? Reply with quote

Randomly saw one parked in the weeds a few times in a small town near me. Finally pulled off one day to check it out to see if I wanted it or parts just to find out that it was just a Thing body welded to an unidentifiable chassis with a 4 cylinder in the front. Sometimes I think about going back for the wiper motor. Its been there since at least 2015, I can see it in the google earth image.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: