Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure FAQ
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Oil Pressure FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685200&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Oil Pressure FAQ[/url]

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

thnx mayor ratwell
Note cold start oil pressure
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ/FAQContent.html#0103
"when you start a cold engine that pressure can be as high as 80-100psi"

Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure FAQ Reply with quote

If you are experiencing oil pressure issues.

First check your oil level.
Second check your pressure relief valve. Is not sticky or stuck in its bore and has the correct spring.
Third check oil viscosity. Oil viscosity lower or higher than the specified 30 weight oil will effect oil pressure.
Fourth consider temperatures. Oil temperatures and Outside air temps. High or Low temperatures will effect oil pressure.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure FAQ Reply with quote

Here is how your oiling system works, and why temperature doesn't matter:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=12422
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure FAQ Reply with quote

this image is that of a late Type 4 GD or GE case. The dotted line represents the return path for over pressure oil. Prior to this change the excess oil dumped back to the sump. This image is lacking in the thread linked above. Frothing can occur on start up if air is present in the oil pump. This usually results in a long wait to build oil pressure when the engine has not been started for awhile. It also changes the cooling of the engine because excess oil is not run thru the oil cooler and dumped back into the sump. Oil continues to circulate until used.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure FAQ Reply with quote

RockyGun wrote:
I don't even know where to post this. I have a 69bay with 1776 had a 30mm pump which was too big had 60lbs of pressure at 4K rpm on a heated engine.

I was also heating up to 235 oil temp or above if I let it just didn't if I went above 3500rpm. Anything below I ran 220. I was told it was my pump so I went to a 26 and put on my external cooler with a fan also and my heat issue is still there above 3500k but now my oil pressure starts high and when warm can drop to 15 at 4K. I'm frustrated and just wanted to drive my bus. Engine has less than 2kmiles all driven at 60 miles per hr cuz I won't go over 3500 rpm. Almost died last year had open heart surgery lost my 60 and 70 buses and kept this one and brought it back to life just want to drive!!! Help!?

I've shimmed the rear spring and cleaned it out. Going to empty the oil and polish up both the ports and plungers. I ordered a empi booster kit but it's not here yet. Ideas? Also it's an original doghouse cooler I got used pretty sure it was clear and clean. I have an 8pass empi cooler I welded a bracket for and installed a fan on thermostat in the wheel well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: