Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Oil Pressure Light ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

I am trying to troubleshoot why my oil pressure light is not comming on when I turn the key on, I have 12v to the sending unit with key on along with alternator light and all other instrument cluster lights work. I've check bulb, Cleaned the contack where bulb socket goes on cluster. If I take the oil light socket out with bulb still in it and touch the outside of socket to ground the light works with key on. so if all the other lights in cluster are working I don't think it's a grounding problem, I also replaced sending unit, Still no light. I'm not bad with electrics but someone here is probably much better, It's a 63 ragtop converted to twelve volt and light has been working
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

I hope Glutamodo will explain this better than me, but here's my go of it...

I'm not sure how you tested just the bulb housing by pulling it out and touching it to ground. Because if the wiring is correct the positive is shared among all three bulbs in the small, removable cluster on the speedo's underside. Therefore, you had no positive with which to ground. It should light only if you involved another source of power- or if you bypassed (unplugged) the power lead for the cluster just to test the circuit on the oil bulb.

Normally, the oil sender grounds and illuminates the bulb until oil pressure increases- thus opening the circuit and the light goes out. My guess is your test somehow simply resulted in another closed circuit- and lit the bulb, but the sending unit may not be working as it should.

Again, I sure hope the reliable pros visit this thread soon for you.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

sounds like the pressure switch is not working. when the key in on, but engine not running, the oil pressure is zero and thus the switch should ground out to the engine case, which serves to ground the light. when ever the key is on, the bulb should havenpositive 12 or 6 volts to it. it is the pressure switch at engine which supplies ground (negative) to the bulb when pressure is too low. when oil pressure gets high enough, the pressure switch opens, which cuts off the ground to the bulb.

To test if it is indeed a bad pressure switch verses a broken wire or other fault, turn on the key switch, then remove the wire off the presure switch and touch the wire to ground (engine case) this should illuminate the bulb, if it does illuminate, suspect a bad pressure switch. also note that if lots of teflon pipe tape was used to seal the pressure switch threads, that the tape may prevent the switch from suppling ground even when the pressure switch is closed. Teflon pipe tape for this reason is not the best choice for the threads. if no teflon tape, then replace the switchif you find grounding the wire at the switch does indeed illuminate the bulb.

so the light is grounded by the pressure switch when pressure is too low, the light should always have 12 or 6 volts on it when ignition is on.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

So after testing some more I think I have a short cause the wire to the sending unit is showing 12v when the key is turned on, That is just supposed to be a ground right? I also put a new pressure switch in to be safe even though I think my old one is still good.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:
So after testing some more I think I have a short cause the wire to the sending unit is showing 12v when the key is turned on, That is just supposed to be a ground right? I also put a new pressure switch in to be safe even though I think my old one is still good.

Did you do the test suggested above?:

Quote:
To test if it is indeed a bad pressure switch verses a broken wire or other fault, turn on the key switch, then remove the wire off the presure switch and touch the wire to ground (engine case) this should illuminate the bulb, if it does illuminate, suspect a bad pressure switch.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:

12 positive volts IS expected on that wire when ignition in on. the positive 12 gets to that wire from the light bulb, thru its filiment from the positve wire at the bulb holder, powered thru the ignition switch. when that wire is then grounded, it will become negative and current will freely flow thru it lighting the bulb. this IS normal.

please take that wire, with ignition on, and ground it to the engine case, that should light the bulb, if it does light the bulb, that indicates that the pressure switch was failing to ground that wire at low pressure. symptoms still point to a problem with the pressure switch or its ground contact to the motor. had there been no 12 volts on that wire with ignition on, then you would conclude the problem is not the pressure switch, but rather the problem would be no positive 12 to the other side of the bulb, or a break in that wire.

So please ground that wire to the engine case and see if the bulb illuminates or not, if it lights, then the switch is likely the problem (or switches contact to engine ie Teflon tape)

when you install a new switch, use EXTREME CAUTION that you do not over tighten it, it is a tapered pipe thread, and thus is NOT supposed to bottom out you can keep tightening it until either the threads in the case strip out, ot case cracks, the case threads are much weaker than that of the switch. pipe threads are to be snug in this application, never tight. you need it to be tight enough to not leak, but no more. a liquid or squeeze tube thread sealer such as Form A Gasket can be used rather than Teflon tape to help prevent leaks (ie plumbers dope) do NOT use a thread locker, rather use a sealer although sealer is optional, I do use it

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:

You should see 12v there. Yes it is a ground but you'll still see 12v there.

Pull the wire off the sender and with key on touch the wire to engine case. Light should come on. If it does, then that shows the light circuit is good but the sender is bad.

If you touch the lead to ground and the light does not come on, then you have a problem somewhere along the length of that wire, since you already tested the bulb at the socket.

But if you're seeing 12v on that wire there's no reason the light should not come on when you touch it to the crankcase.

Unless your transmission ground strap is shot.
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

Quote "please take that wire, with ignition on, and ground it to the engine case, that should light the bulb, if it does light the bulb, that indicates that the pressure switch was failing to ground that wire at low pressure. symptoms still point to a problem with the pressure switch or its ground contact to the motor. had there been no 12 volts on that wire with ignition on, then you would conclude the problem is not the pressure switch, but rather the problem would be no positive 12 to the other side of the bulb, or a break in that wire. "

So I performed the test with key on and touched sensor wire to engine case, I get a spark wire gets hot immediatly and dims alternator light like a short somewhere, I also have added a new trans to motor ground strap. Previous owner re wired car with new fuse box with blade fuses which is fine, I'm going to start pulling fuses to see where power is comming from to oil pressure switch and start looking for short or any thing else wrong
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:
Quote "please take that wire, with ignition on, and ground it to the engine case, that should light the bulb, if it does light the bulb, that indicates that the pressure switch was failing to ground that wire at low pressure. symptoms still point to a problem with the pressure switch or its ground contact to the motor. had there been no 12 volts on that wire with ignition on, then you would conclude the problem is not the pressure switch, but rather the problem would be no positive 12 to the other side of the bulb, or a break in that wire. "

So I performed the test with key on and touched sensor wire to engine case, I get a spark wire gets hot immediatly and dims alternator light like a short somewhere, I also have added a new trans to motor ground strap

in that case, remove the bulb from the bulb holder. then take the pressure switch wire end and touch to case to see if the wire still sparks and heats up, or like wise measure if that wire still has 12 volts on it or not, if it still produces a spark or shows voltage, then you do have a wire short, possibly a melted wire in the harness or a short in the bulb holder. then repeat test this time with wire removed from bulb holder
if no voltage nor spark then suspect a defective bulb holder that is shorting across the holder

good luck

ps also confirm via the color wire diagrams that you are indeed using the correct wire. the automatic choke wire for instance could be mixed up with the pressure switch wire. that would give you this symptom, but then again it would also likely have melted your harness by now if that mistake was made.

maybe post photos for us to examine of both dash and engine areas so we can see the wires.

good luck

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

Any chance someone swapped the oil and gen lights or wires at either end?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:

So I performed the test with key on and touched sensor wire to engine case, I get a spark wire gets hot immediatly and dims alternator light like a short somewhere,

Yikes that should not happen. Sounds like PO didn't do a great job with the new fusebox.

Note the way VW originally wired the oil pressure light - it's reverse polarity from what you'd normally expect. Bulb holder gets power from a common circuit bus built into the speedometer via the side of the bulb (which would normally be the ground side) and the pigtail wire coming off the base of the bulb is the ground which runs back to the oil pressure switch.

Sounds like PO put power to that wire somehow. You're gonna have to trace that out.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

I wonder if that wire, or the wire to the coil positive terminal, is a secondary wire that someone in the past hooked up. It's obviously not fused as it sparked and got hot when touched to ground.

So it's definitely NOT the wire for the pressure sender, unless someone screwed up the wiring up front in the trunk.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
rcf925 wrote:

So I performed the test with key on and touched sensor wire to engine case, I get a spark wire gets hot immediatly and dims alternator light like a short somewhere, I also have added a new trans to motor ground strap

in that case, remove the bulb from the bulb holder. then take the pressure switch wire end and touch to case to see if the wire still sparks and heats up, or like wise measure if that wire still has 12 volts on it or not, if it still produces a spark or shows voltage, then you do have a wire short, possibly a melted wire in the harness or a short in the bulb holder. then repeat test this time with wire removed from bulb holder
if no voltage nor spark then suspect a defective bulb holder that is shorting across the holder

good luck

ps also confirm via the color wire diagrams that you are indeed using the correct wire. the automatic choke wire for instance could be mixed up with the pressure switch wire. that would give you this symptom, but then again it would also likely have melted your harness by now if that mistake was made.

maybe post photos for us to examine of both dash and engine areas so we can see the wires.

good luck

Performed test with bulb out of socket, Wire still hot, I'll post a couple pics, Welcome to my nightmare LOL, Wire coloring coding meant nothing to PO so Trying to figure it out, Wipers also don't work FWIW, Purple and blue wires in engine bay are the only two that I'm not sure . Had purple going to sender cause thats what previuos owner had, Blue was to + coil side for ign. but it only has about 6v to it and car wouldn't start so I ran the new black one to get it running, PO also cut my dash where ashtray and ign. go so I gotta repair that, Trying to put dash back to stock

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

Your wiring and fuel line are making my eye twitch...

Anywho, it appears the wire coming off the oil light in the speedo is green, so what does the loose green wire in your engine pic go to?
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Your wiring and fuel line are making my eye twitch...

Anywho, it appears the wire coming off the oil light in the speedo is green, so what does the loose green wire in your engine pic go to?

Loose green will be for tach when I get to it,It's just an extra wire I ran to back of car, Engine compartment still a work in progress, Just dropped in new 1776, I bought car a few weeks ago with original motor, Unfortunatly not running with a rod thru the case. I don't like fuel filter there either
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

oh my, thats not a stock set up for sure. I think time would be well spent tracing wires and making up your own diagram that shows what you have you may have to remove wires connections one at a time and test for continuity to figure out what is routed where, there is even a splice I see with a color change.

the fuel filter and long hoses are rinky dinky and might be very hazardous. the filter should not be in the engine bay get it under the car near the tranny away from ignition sources. engine tin is missing around the heatrisers, no seal around the engine bay tin (or if it is there it is installed wrong. that aftermarket fan house is likely one of the poor quality ones with impropper internal directional vanes, the bumper on the aircleaner appears to be for rubbing on the decklid you dont want thedeck lid hitting that aircleaner, what kind of carb is that?
you dont have any crankcase breather system lacking that may cause the engine to leak oil.

please carry a very large fire extingusher.

the overall profile photo shows a very nice looking bug, but the trunk and engine area are scary, but fixable with a bit of effort.

anyway get a pen and paper and draw up a wire diagram to reflect what you have, this will come in handy many times in sorting this out. if wire colors are confussing, you can purchase wire number tags at electronics stores so the ends can be labeled.

anyway for your original problem, trace which wire is which, evidently the wire you thought goes to the pressure switch probably aint.

good luck

rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
oh my, thats not a stock set up for sure. I think time would be well spent tracing wires and making up your own diagram that shows what you have you may have to remove wires connections one at a time and test for continuity to figure out what is routed where, there is even a splice I see with a color change.

the fuel filter and long hoses are rinky dinky and might be very hazardous. the filter should not be in the engine bay get it under the car near the tranny away from ignition sources. engine tin is missing around the heatrisers, no seal around the engine bay tin (or if it is there it is installed wrong. that aftermarket fan house is likely one of the poor quality ones with impropper internal directional vanes, the bumper on the aircleaner appears to be for rubbing on the decklid you dont want thedeck lid hitting that aircleaner, what kind of carb is that?
you dont have any crankcase breather system lacking that may cause the engine to leak oil.

the overall profile photo shows a very nice looking bug, but the trunk and engine area are scary, but fixable with a bit of effort.

anyway get a pen and paper and draw up a wire diagram to reflect what you have, this will come in handy many times in sorting this out. if wire colors are confussing, you can purchase wire number tags at electronics stores so the ends can be labeled.

anyway for your original problem, trace which wire is which, evidently the wire you thought goes to the pressure switch probably aint.

good luck

I plan to put dash back to stock so I will be individually installing original switches one by one and will have to figure out wiring at that point and hopefully find the problem, Fuel filter temp. til I get it it relocated down below, as is bumber on carb. My hood is just about an inch from closing but I'm trying to avoid hinge standoff kit unless I have to, I may fab something. Tins are all there so I'm not quite sure what you mean by installed incorrectly, I have heater hoses on the way and another tin for them, As far as fan housing it's a doghouse so is that not correct one to use? Bug is a work in progress so eventually I'll get everything dialed in, I appreciate the help
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Too bad the PO hacked the wiring. It is not all that uncommon, but it's a real PITA for the next owner (you).
One option is to buy a new wiring harness and set it all back to stock, rather than piecemeal the individual wires. Another layer of pain, but then it's done and easy to troubleshoot later.
In the meantime, adding labels (using the terminal numbers form the device and/or wiring diagram) at every connection will help with setting it right. Those dymo labelmakers (the white tape style, not the embossed style) works well for this.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

I plan to put dash back to stock so I will be individually installing original switches one by one and will have to figure out wiring at that point and hopefully find the problem, Fuel filter temp. til I get it it relocated down below, as is bumber on carb. My hood is just about an inch from closing but I'm trying to avoid hinge standoff kit unless I have to, I may fab something. Tins are all there so I'm not quite sure what you mean by installed incorrectly, I have heater hoses on the way and another tin for them, As far as fan housing it's a doghouse so is that not correct one to use? Bug is a work in progress so eventually I'll get everything dialed in, I appreciate the help

you may wish to include deck lid lower stand offs, on the rear apron are two holes, made for little rubber bumpers to hold off the lid from the apron, when I added a big motor, I removed the rubber bumpers, and installed long screws double nutted to the screw heads stuck out of the apron the desired amount, then I capped off the screw heads with a little rubber cap, this way my deck lid is proped open a bottom a bit to allow more air into the engine area for the needs of the bigger motor. dont let the deck lid rub or rest on the aircleaner, simply extend the factory rubber bumper on the apron with screws as discribed.

tins, I dont see the rubber seal that is supposed to go both under and over the engine tin that is surrounded by the body. the rubber seal is V shaped with one leg of the V going under the
erimieter tin and the other leg going over it. some times the seal gets completely shoved under the perimter tin, or it is missing, that what I see there.

the heatraisers are supposed to have tin pieces over they ends where the raiser pipes pass thru the rear tin piece, yours is missing see link below, there are left and right ones you need one each

link... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2072662

the fan houses that are aftermarket are known to have incorrect or missing internal vans, which are VERY i portant in dirrecting the air to the right spots for cooling, and many aftermarket tins have a poor fit, which means lost cooling air thru leaks, avoid the aftermarket tins. rather source stock fan housings, they are well designed by VW with the correct directional vanes to give the correct cooling. check out the classified ads for them, by all means get the dog house style, that was vw's latest and best designed for fhe larger motors, also note the fan is wider for the dog house shroud, you MUST use the correct fan.

also some aftermarket shroud make no provision for the thermostat flaps and control failure to use the thermostates mean long warm up times (would you runa Chevy or Toyota with the water thermostat removed?) You want quick warm ups for reduced engine wear, best fuel economy. also the flaps, even when opened do add some direction control for the air flow, again optimizing cooling air distribution. also beware that many aftermarket tin kits do not include the little piece that fits between the cylinders, which is critical, else the cooling air fials to be directed around the outside of the cylinders, rather it is directed between them, causing hot spots on the cylinders which makes them go out of round, you want round cylinders, not oval ones! make sure you buy an orignal style bellows thermostat, NOT the later cheaper mexican bug wax type!!!!! this is very important, cause the wax type when it fails (it uses expanding wax to open the vanes once the engine is hot) becuase the wax eventually leaks out, it will fail with the flaps CLOSED!!!!!!! which means you over heat in short order. the original bellow type, has a bit of fluid in the belows that when it contracts (cold) it pulls the flaps shut for warm up, and expands to allow the springs to open the vanes when hot, if the bellows tears, the flaps fail OPEN, thus it is a fail safe system, so only use the bellows type never the wax type. the belows cost more, but are worth it, but even if you dont have a working bellows, at least the flaps will be stuck open and you will get full cooling

also it your running heater boxes you NEED the air flowing thru them all the time, thus you must have the ports and hoses from the fan shroud connected to the heater boxes, it you neglect this the heater boxes over heat, which can destroy them and when they are over heated, they radiate that excessive heat to the heads. Remeber when the heater boxes are hooked up correctly with the hoses from the fan shroud, that cooling air is always flowing thru them, even when you turn the heater off. when you turn the heater off, the air still flows thru the heater box, but rather being directed to the cabin, that hot air is bumped over board under the car, the air is not shut off when heater is off. thats part of the design to help the heater boxes from coooking themselves, stock heater boxes have a massive finned aluminum casting over the header pipe inside them, cheapo aftermarket heater boxes do not have this alu,inum finned casting surrounding the pipe, thus aftermarket boxes provide considerably less heat, so tyr to source orignal boxes
there are other tin bits you need that are often forgotten on stock system, and are non existant on aftermarket system, one the the Hoover Bit (do a seach on samba for that) missing this tiny piece of tin will result in lots of cooling air lost at the oil cooler, and of course dont forget a new foam seal around the dog house cooler, another important item.

please refer to thefactory Bentely service manual for complete diagrams of all the parts you need, you will want to look at the later edition book (orange cover, 1969 and up) not the blue cover as the later book covers the dog house type.

now the later tims are a bit wider than early tines (the engines got wider as the crank was stroked) thus stock later trim may need a bit of trimming to fit well in an early engine bay

so bottom line is stick with used stock tin, most aftermarker new tin is junk, wont cool properly. get the benetely manual for the later bugs (orange book) to show you all the important little bits, thermostat, hoover bit, thermostat springs, push rod, vanes
etc... and heat raiser tins. be prepaired to trim tin possibly to fit the engine bay of an early car (the rear tin near the apron is larger on later bugs, you may still wish to jse the early peoce here, or trim the later one to fit the engine bay for example.

bad made aftermarket in is an engine killer, missing stock tin bits is an engine killer.

if you ordered an aftermarket dog house, send it back and source a real one from the want ads. study the factory late model dog house parts diagram so you leave nothing out, it is all important. stock heafer bkxes deliver more heat (mush more) than aftermarket ones that lack the finned castings over the internal pipe. stand off the deck lid at bottom with long rubber tipped screws, Oalthough some folks simply slit a tennis ball and gook it over the lid latch, that stands it off too. with the bigger fan of the dog house, you need to get more air in the engine bay, else at high sppeds under laod, your bigger fan starves the carb for air, vw added extra louvers for this, but standing off fhe deck lid works too, dont let the lid rub on the aircleaner, stand it off properly.

anyway good luck, research the tin issues, avoid the mass marketed aftermarket stuff, it is mostly JUNK, old stock stuff is much better. VW spent millions$$$$$ opti izing the cooling tin, take advantage of their good engineering work rather than some agyermarket tin that looks ok on the exterior, but in reality will give worse cooling.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

tins, I dont see the rubber seal that is supposed to go both under and over the engine tin that is surrounded by the body. the rubber seal is V shaped with one leg of the V going under the
erimieter tin and the other leg going over it. some times the seal gets completely shoved under the perimter tin, or it is missing, that what I see there.

the heatraisers are supposed to have tin pieces over they ends where the raiser pipes pass thru the rear tin piece, yours is missing see link below, there are left and right ones you need one each

link... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2072662

Sorry for the crappy scan, but this may help you know what's missing (click to enlarge a bit):
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: