Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected]
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Competition Engineering
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: October 18, 2021
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

CE spent not quite a year restoring our 1978 Westfalia:

new paint, inside and out
new upholstery
interior woodwork totally rebuilt using superior wood with no laminates
new molding
engine rebuild
transmission rebuild
AC conversion from old refrigerant to new refrigerant
recondition poptop
recondition camping appliances
many many other details

Although I had anxiety over the accumulating costs as the months went by, we are extremely happy with the result. They even made a few detail decisions throughout, like retaining a decal on the rear glass that had sentimental value (The dealer-installed "It's Cool Inside" decal had to go, though, because it was in shreds). When I think that they took the whole Campbobile apart piece by piece (except the dash, which was left in throughout the process), the whole operation went very smoothly. We've had the completed bus for about six months now.

Since completion, there was one remaining rattle that stuck in my craw. Over a few sessions, they were able to finally identify and fix it, at practically no cost to me. They understand ACVW owners (or at least me and my wife, anyhow).

The bus is now so tight, smooth, and handles so gracefully that it evoked a vivid forgotten memory (I hesitate to use the word "flashback") of when we first test drove the vehicle in 1978, noting its flat torque curve and graceful handling properties.

I would recommend this shop, because they will listen to what you say, and they'll do a good job.

Keith
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year has passed (and over 3000 miles) since we picked up the completed bus from CE, and it drives and sounds better than ever. The only thing that went wrong this past year was a frayed clutch cable (2nd one in 33 years!), which CE replaced with a genuine VW one.

Again, I would recommend this shop. The $ we spent there for the restoration was well spent.

Keith
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

Our bus, the one that CE restored, won the "coolest bus" at Phoenix Bugorama in March.
Endless Customz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a gauge from Competition Engineering - [email protected] and was very pleased with their communication, additional photographs provided and shipping. An all around good experience!

Visit our website at:
www.endlesscustomz.com
...for all your VW restoration needs!
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled across an old forum that discussed a defunct restoration shop in NM. We had considered taking our bus there for restoration. Instead, we ended up taking it to CE. That is one of the best decisions we (myself and my wife) have ever made in our lives.

Per the old forum, about 10 people are complaining about loss of $12,000-$13,000 deposits when the owners of the NM shop skipped town. To think that, if we had gone with that shop (which we were very close to doing), we would have lost a deposit and our beloved bus. This thought still feels like a nightmare.

Instead, we dealt with a professional shop (CE), with periodic itemized updates, who patiently addressed all of our concerns along the way. We ended up with a bus that is beautiful to behold and has been totally reliable several years later. I've said it here before in this forum, and I'll say it again: we kiss the ground that CE rests on. You can check out the January 2013 issue of VW Trends for more information about our bus.
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

Update: When we first took our bus to CE six years ago for restoration, our primary requirement for the restoration was that the result had to be as reliable as possible, even if it precluded performance enhancements. Six years later, I am reporting that the only problems we have had these past years has been:

1) needed bowden tube replacement
2) needed ignition coil replacement

So, I think that this goal (reliability) has been met. I take our bus into CE at least annually for maintenance. Never once have they tried to sell me anything that I didn't need.

I took our bus to CE yesterday for a general maintenance. I noticed that many of their staff were also working there six years ago when we first took our bus to them. I believe that a low turnover says a lot about a business. The only other places that we patronize which appear to have such high employee retention are Costco and Trader Joe's.

CE evidently has high customer retention, also. While waiting for our work to be completed, about a dozen customers came into and out of the shop, to drop off/pick up a vehicle or purchase parts. CE greeted each by name, indicating repeat customers.

I watched a customer buy two $3 parts. Dan, the shop owner, took the time to talk to him and explain how to make this aftermarket part work. I hope that CE is around at least as long as our bus is. After six years, I do not have a single complaint about CE.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

Received an early bus shift rod bushing from Dan quickly, as described, and after very clear communication. Easy and smooth transaction. Recommend this seller. Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bought a muffler kit. great service, good experience.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

I purchased several parts from Competition Engineering. Great Price and Very NICE Quality NOS parts. Packed Smartly and Moved out Promptly. Thanks Dan, Appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

Clear communication, fair price, fast shipping and an honest description. Would buy again fur sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kmmcdonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

After driving the bus today, and at the risk of sounding redundant, I again reflected on how fortunate (and wise!) I was to have selected CE for our restoration. After reviewing my posts, I realize that, other than needing a new battery, nothing has gone wrong with the bus since I last posted 1-1/2 years ago.
IP359
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Competition Engineering, Phoenix AZ - [email protected] Reply with quote

Dan is a serious & solid seller.
It was a real pleasure to do business with him.
Txs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: