Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"We decided to tear down the old barn..."
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
How does the inner rear panel floor and the area between the rear wheel wells get rust like that? Is it from water leaking in from rusted out rear wheel wells or water leaks from rear side windows?

I know when I lived in IL every car I had was rusted through somewhere it always seemed to be a hole that started from the outside.

My 73 SB has lived it's entire life in southern Calif and has not rust other than the surface rust on the battery box floor plus the small acid damage from a leaking interstate battery which didn't get a hole just sort of etched the small area a bit.

The rear tar board if that's what it's called it's that thick floor insulation that covers the entire rear cargo floor around the engine lid has become gummy it's still there and I can lift it around the engine lid so it's become loose yet I see no rust anywhere. That insulation used to have a sort of white covering that now is no longer white if I lay a tool on it it leaves an impression and touching it it feels gummy.

There are several places water can get in and rust the load floor.
Pop out windows (if you have them)
Baked rear quarter windows (the far rear ones)
Rear gate window seal
Rear gate seal
ECU panel seal
These are just the ones I've ran into over the years.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ratlookvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

All this hard work is paying off! Great job man!!!
57 Panel, 66 highroof panel, 65 Notch, 59 Vert, 61 Vert, 1969 Fridolin, 'Reggie ' 66 RV, 65 Pipe Truck, 65 RHD T-34, 70 dbl slider panel, 1969 Deep sea green sunroof automatic square, the greypoop-on, and a shit load of wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Been on-call for work the past week, so I've only really had time to get into small jobs since I might have to drop everything to go to work at any time.
At this stage of the project, though, all the little things are really showing.

Installed the shift rod bushing and found the brake/clutch pedal stop, which allowed me to install the front carpet piece. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a couple consoles, and wanted to install one.

The longer one (Kamei?) I had in my old 71. It served the purpose well, with its multiple trays, but is pretty flimsy.

The smaller, single-tray console is stamped VW, and is a much thicker molding.
I opted to install it vs. the larger one. Easy to swap, if I ever change my mind.

I bought Retrovan's dashes for this and my 65 "S" Squareback.
I started to install it, but with the front mounting tabs interfering with the defrost vent and not aligning with the original mounting screw holes, the lack of speaker grille, the off texture, and the amount of trimming and whittling necessary to make it fit; I wasn't particularly impressed.
It seems like a good quality product, but also seemed rushed to market and unfinished.

I really don't want to rip on someone who's trying to provide much-needed replacement pieces, just offering my first-hand experience and (hopefully) constructive criticism on what could be done to make it a better product.

Instead, I opted to use the common replacement dash that every place sells; which I already had lying around.
This way - I get my tunes through the dash, the right texture, and keep my thumbs in tact; with less effort.

I have a 3-day weekend, so I'll have plenty of time to work on it. Updates soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Looking good Cool

I wonder if there's iron in the carpet thread Think

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Looking good Cool

I wonder if there's iron in the carpet thread Think

It's strange how it developed those "Grand Canyon" layers.
I'd guessed it's from inconsistencies in the dye and light exposure or oxidation, but who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

I think its cool. Try to duplicate that patina Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

I suck at updating this, but haven't stopped working on it.

So, I had to re-replace the rear wheel bearing seals. For some reason, the coils decided to jump out of their groove upon installation and left two lakes of trans fluid on the garage floor. Evil or Very Mad

I got the engine installed. It wasn't as easy as usual, since it'd been sitting with no engine for so many years. The trans input shaft had developed a bit of surface rust, so the engine couldn't slide in place. I ended up putting a piece of threaded rod through the starter bolt hole, once it was all lined up, and drawing it in by tightening it.

This engine was in my 71 for several years, so I knew it "Ran When Parked", but hadn't been used in a couple years. I rebuilt the carbs, and will put a stock exhaust on it, in time. The OTT style exhaust that's on it now drones on the highway.

Put a battery in it. The license plate light and one of the front blinkers needed the sockets cleaned, but did start to work with minimal effort. The horn and interior light are the only things that don't work, that I've found. I haven't looked into the horn issue, yet, but the dome light wires were chewed through by mice. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the ticking was on the dash - I thought the key ring was swinging, but it was the clock. IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

You're gaining on it. A little at a time, but still gaining. It won't be long before you're cruising down the road. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

I don't understand why VW would have wired the horn through the brake light switches, but they apparently did.

On my car, the original master cylinder has 3 pressure sensor plugs, as does the original wiring harness.
The new master cylinder I put in has 2 plugs.

I haven't found a completely accurate wiring diagram for my car.
The brown Bentley shows the horn on the second from the right fuse.
This one is the closest I've found, as the fuse box looks the same, but it only shows 2 pressure sensors.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/type3_6870.jpg

So - My questions are:
Can I bypass the brake switches with a horn wire to make the horn work - while, obviously, having working brake lights - or would I be wiser to rebuild the original 3 sensor master and wire it all up accordingly?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
I don't understand why VW would have wired the horn through the brake light switches, but they apparently did.

On my car, the original master cylinder has 3 pressure sensor plugs, as does the original wiring harness.

This one is the closest I've found, as the fuse box looks the same, but it only shows 2 pressure sensors.

So - My questions are:
Can I bypass the brake switches with a horn wire to make the horn work - while, obviously, having working brake lights - or would I be wiser to rebuild the original 3 sensor master and wire it all up accordingly?

Are the switches 2 or 3 prong that you installed? If they are 3 prong, then you can follow the diagram that Air Head Parts has listed on their web site (I'd give a direct link to it, but that's on my home computer).
If they are 2 prong switches, then you'll most likely have to convert to 3 prong switches.
The reason for the "3rd" switch was for the brake warning light. The 3 prong switches eliminated the need for the 3rd switch by adding the extra prong to it.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:

So - My questions are:

Are the switches 2 or 3 prong that you installed? If they are 3 prong, then you can follow the diagram that Air Head Parts has listed on their web site (I'd give a direct link to it, but that's on my home computer).
If they are 2 prong switches, then you'll most likely have to convert to 3 prong switches.
The reason for the "3rd" switch was for the brake warning light. The 3 prong switches eliminated the need for the 3rd switch by adding the extra prong to it.
I hope this helps.

That's great info. Thanks a ton, Bob!

Safe bet it's this article:
https://www.airheadparts.com/tech-articles/upgrade-for-the-stoplight-switches-on-67-71-models

I'll put some 3-prong switches on my next shopping list and replace the two-prong switches I'd installed, and follow the diagram in the article.

Fortunately, I haven't fully bled the brakes yet. I plan to early-morning nurse/E-brake it to the independent shop around the corner to get the brakes pressure bled and wheels aligned, once i tie up the loose ends.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
BSQUARE wrote:

So - My questions are:

I hope this helps.

That's great info. Thanks a ton, Bob!

Safe bet it's this article:
https://www.airheadparts.com/tech-articles/upgrade-for-the-stoplight-switches-on-67-71-models

I'll put some 3-prong switches on my next shopping list and replace the two-prong switches I'd installed, and follow the diagram in the article.

Fortunately, I haven't fully bled the brakes yet. I plan to early-morning nurse/E-brake it to the independent shop around the corner to get the brakes pressure bled and wheels aligned, once i tie up the loose ends.

Yup, that's the one. I seem to remember seeing somewhere else as well, but I can't remember where.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

The salt trucks were out Saturday, so my car won't be coming out of the garage till spring.

Electrical issues and wiring isn't my forte', but I can usually work things out eventually if I have enough spare bulbs and fuses to blow.

I installed the 3-prong plugs, but the wiring didn't match (color-wise) any wiring diagram I've found.

There are 3 wires coming down from above the tank - Black, Red, and Black/Red - as the 68-70 diagram shows.

The Black/red wire had a grey jumper, the Black wire had a grey/red band jumper with a blue jumper coming off that, and the red wire had no jumper.

That was getting too confusing; having to keep checking back to see which was connected to which and not being able to follow them using the wiring diagram. The grey jumper was dead, and the blue was unnecessary with the three-prong switches.

Idea To make things easier to follow, now and later; I clipped all the terminals and re-strung them, using color-matched-to-the-Bentley jumper wires.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

My garage heater isn't all that good, and working while wearing several layers of clothing isn't easy, so I've closed up the garage for the winter.

I finally got my front retractable seat belts, they were on backorder for months. They should be much more comfortable than the manually adjustable ones in my old Square - safer, too - and tidy up the interior a bit, as well, without all the slack dangling around. I only needed to hog out the rearward mount hole on the retractor bracket to get them to fit, a fairly simple retrofit.

I brought my radio (Blaupunkt Emden) and MECCA 8-track deck inside, to clean them up over the winter. Finally got around to the 8-track deck. More-or-less did a spit-polish on the casing, blew out the internals with canned air, and hope it works when I re-install it.

BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

As near as I can figure, without sending off for the "Birth Certificate", my Squareback was built 50 years ago, today.

I sent off payment for a 50th "birthday" gift for my car, I'll update when I actually receive it.

Today I installed the radio and 8-track deck. Still need to configure the wiring for the 8-track deck. I'm hunting for wiring schematics for it, since I can't remember how it was connected before I took it out.

Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
.........I bought Retrovan's dashes for this and my 65 "S" Squareback.
I started to install it, but with the front mounting tabs interfering with the defrost vent and not aligning with the original mounting screw holes, the lack of speaker grille, the off texture, and the amount of trimming and whittling necessary to make it fit; I wasn't particularly impressed.
It seems like a good quality product, but also seemed rushed to market and unfinished.

I really don't want to rip on someone who's trying to provide much-needed replacement pieces, just offering my first-hand experience and (hopefully) constructive criticism on what could be done to make it a better product. ........

I appreciate constructive criticism when that person have taken effort to understand why something is what it is.

With the high cost of mould making as well as machine time, it was an effort to please the bigger number of persons, with the fewer ones also helped, but for a bit of trimming. NO its not "...seemed rushed to market and unfinished...." but made universal.

As these model years changed and body's where out of square, I had to take an decision on which year to use, Now you may have an replacement dash which has not yet cracked, but others have nothing, and by helping those guys to be able to fit a dash that most would not be able to identify as being incorrect, I get a whole lot of joy and pleasure that humble-old-me, could help them.

So now you know why most have no problem fitting my dash, and other need to put a little effort into it. You however are fortunate you have an dash, which may or may not be incorrect for your model, where other now have an option to make their type 3 look good with my dash.

Good looking car and keep up the good work.

Wink

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Any electrical accessory gurus here care to help?

Trying to wire up this MECCA 8-track deck without a wiring diagram, and I can't remember how it was wired when I took it out a couple years ago.

The harness out the back of the deck has 4 wires - red, green, black, and grey.
From searching online, I've found red is power in (obvious), green and grey are for the speakers, and black is "common". My issue is where does the black wire go? It looks as though it may have been connected as a ground wire, or could it have been connected to the radio for switched power (if that's even possible without radio interference)?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Common = ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Common = ground.

Thank you! I'd suspected that, but I'm more familiar with household (AC) electrical, where "common" is used differently.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "We decided to tear down the old barn..." Reply with quote

Finally got a warmish day to spend in the garage.

I revisited the front seat belts, since I didn't feel safe about hogging out one of the outer holes in the recoil bracket, and didn't like the 90* mount brackets supplied with the kit. I ended up taking a piece of 12ga galvanized steel with 2 holes spaced about 30mm apart, bolted one end to the rocker (with the lap belt end, and mounted the recoil mechanism on the other end as close to the rear seat kick panel as possible. I'm pretty pleased with the result, as it's much tidier than the manually adjustable belts in my old Squareback. Hopefully, I'll never need to test their strength.

I also picked up a 50th "birthday" gift for my Square - a roof rack from Reese (AKA sub90). It fits really well, feels quite sturdy, and the look fits the vintage of the car.

My garage is too cluttered right now to get a full-body shot - when spring actually happens here and I pull the car out, I'll post better photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: