Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Oil Pressure Light ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

tins, I dont see the rubber seal that is supposed to go both under and over the engine tin that is surrounded by the body. the rubber seal is V shaped with one leg of the V going under the
erimieter tin and the other leg going over it. some times the seal gets completely shoved under the perimter tin, or it is missing, that what I see there.

the heatraisers are supposed to have tin pieces over they ends where the raiser pipes pass thru the rear tin piece, yours is missing see link below, there are left and right ones you need one each

link... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2072662

Sorry for the crappy scan, but this may help you know what's missing (click to enlarge a bit):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rubber is around engine compartment, Just covered by tin, I have correct tin to run heater hoses through, Waiting on the new hoses, The two little pieces for risers I have access to so I'll pic them up, My plan is to hook all heater hoses up. The doghouse has a 72 fan in it which is bigger than stock, But I will monitor my head and oil temps for a while and make any necessary changes.
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

Update on my oil pressure switch problem and ignition wire. So I found short on ignition wire to coil, Insulation had rubbed through and bare wire was touching metal in trunk by ignition switch. Oil pressure wire is good, Grounded on motor with key on and light works. My problem is I'm finding out auto parts have a hard time giving me the right switch, The ones they give me have no continuity between poles with key off or on, What you need the the correct one for idiot light on dash which is basically on-off. They also sell one that turns dash oil light on if your pressure is outside certain parameters like between 15 and 35 psi, I can't believe it's that hard to get the right oil pressure switch, I have a local vw guy I'll get one from on monday. My only electric problem left from the PO is getting the wiper motor to work, It's 6 v and car has been converted to 12v so I think I'll just buy 12v armature and switch it out. I appreciate all the help
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

rcf925 wrote:
Update on my oil pressure switch problem and ignition wire. So I found short on ignition wire to coil, Insulation had rubbed through and bare wire was touching metal in trunk by ignition switch. Oil pressure wire is good, Grounded on motor with key on and light works. My problem is I'm finding out auto parts have a hard time giving me the right switch, The ones they give me have no continuity between poles with key off or on, What you need the the correct one for idiot light on dash which is basically on-off. They also sell one that turns dash oil light on if your pressure is outside certain parameters like between 15 and 35 psi, I can't believe it's that hard to get the right oil pressure switch, I have a local vw guy I'll get one from on monday. My only electric problem left from the PO is getting the wiper motor to work, It's 6 v and car has been converted to 12v so I think I'll just buy 12v armature and switch it out. I appreciate all the help

try this, lot easier than switching armatutes, this is not a divider resistor, so it wontvdraw twice the current, link....

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-9344

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
rcf925
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
rcf925 wrote:

try this, lot easier than switching armatutes, this is not a divider resistor, so it wontvdraw twice the current, link....

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-9344

I've seen that switch before, But my problem I think is my 6v motor is bad, I'm going to check it out today
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

I've been working on my 67 beetle which I acquired in May. Been trying to get her road worthy ever since. Just about to get everything sorted out.

The one thing I can't get sorted is my idiot light is not working. I've tried the various methods of getting it to work. First I unhooked the wire from the pressure switch and touched it to ground. Got some sparks and the wire heated up.

I checked the voltage on the wire with the key on and it had 11+ volts. So I unhooked the other end at the idiot light spade connector and with the key switch on, it still has 11+ volts. Any idea what is going on and possible fixes? I'm at my wits end.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
I've been working on my 67 beetle which I acquired in May. Been trying to get her road worthy ever since. Just about to get everything sorted out.

The one thing I can't get sorted is my idiot light is not working. I've tried the various methods of getting it to work. First I unhooked the wire from the pressure switch and touched it to ground. Got some sparks and the wire heated up.

I checked the voltage on the wire with the key on and it had 11+ volts. So I unhooked the other end at the idiot light spade connector and with the key switch on, it still has 11+ volts. Any idea what is going on and possible fixes? I'm at my wits end.

Are you getting voltage at the disconnected speedometer end of the wire as well? If so, it sounds like your oil pressure switch wire is either shorted to a power wire, or a PO has spliced it to one. Try removing one fuse at a time to see if you can at least narrow down which circuit is feeding the wire.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

X2, sounds like a short.

Often if the ignition gets shorted in the engine bay, the ignition wire melts inside the jacket, and it may have melted into the idiot light wire. In that case you have to run a new wire or wires, but at that pint you may as well put in a new harness, since you know the old one melted and was damaged.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

I also noticed that the black wire(coil wire) has been hot. It had gotten hot enough to melt the insulation and fuse itself to the blue wire right where they exit the main harness. Wasn't contacting the conductor of the blue wire, though.

Doesn't look good. I'm thinking it looks like a main harness replacement is in order.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash Oil Pressure Light ? Reply with quote

When you do install a new harness, pull additional wires for gauges, additional lamps, or any other purpose (including cases such as this one!) while you are at it. Cheap future-proofing.

I had mine short out the chock/idle jet wire after replacing a carb (it got pinched). It started at the short and ran like a fuse.

Since I was working on the engine, I was there to grab the almost red-hot wire (got a nasty blister) before it could melt the rest of the wire, so I didn't need a new harness.

It's a common problem with unfused ignition. Some have added a fuse or other protection (circuit breaker, fusible link). Check for threads about this now and you may save a similar bad day later.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: