Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I just booked our hotel at Cayucos Beach Inn ($145/nite) for three rooms. Jon House, Pedro Sainz, Jack Fisher, & myself. Jack & I will be in his Gulf Blue 1963 Variant. Jon House will be driving his new 1967 T34 Coupe. And Pedro will also be driving a T34.

Jason, are you planning to drive up with the San Diego group on Friday morning?

Last edited by Lee Hedges on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
shtmtl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
I just booked our hotel at Cayucos Beach Inn ($145/nite) for three rooms. Jon House, Pedro Sainz, Jack Fisher, & myself. Jason, are you planning to drive up with the San Diego group on Friday morning?

I've also booked my room. If all goes as planned I'll be in the red 62 notch and Joey will be in the green 64 notch.

1956 Oval
1958 Kombi
1962 Squareback
1962 Notchback
1962 Type 34
1962 Squareback
1964 Kombi
1964 Notchback
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Just also booked at Cayucos Beach Inn.

I'll join the San Diego caravan, just let me know when you are heading through Thousand Oaks area on the 101 and I'll join you. If you still have the radios, channel 3!

I'll be in Clementine, of course.

If I can convince another member of our local club (and if we can get his fuel pump situation figured out), there may be another '71 fastback joining me.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I’m glad to hear you’re booking your accommodations! Now is definitely time to make your reservations.

Time for a long-overdue update on the rally schedule!

If any earlybirds arrive Thursday evening we’ll have an informal get together at one of the places in Cayucos.

On Friday the plan is to head from the Borradori Garage into the inland hills on some twisty two-lane roads. Likely stops include the 150-year-old Pozo Saloon and a spot called Tin City that has a number of wineries, Barrelhouse Brewing, and a park to relax in. We plan to stay there for a while so late arrivals can catch up with us. Rumor has it that the smoked fish place in Cayucos has a food truck that often sets up at Tin City—which would be awesome—but there will be food options regardless. A scenic drive back down to the coast will follow, then back to the Borradori where we can hang out and talk Type 3 into the evening.

On Saturday we’ll head up the coast on Highway 1 as far as we can go beyond Ragged Point to where the slide has closed the road. Then we’ll head back to Ragged Point, where there are a number of options for lunch. After lunch we’ll head slowly back down the coast with stops including Piedras Blancas to see the elephant seals and at San Simeon. Back in Cayucos we’ll meet at Hardie Park for some barbecue.

On Sunday we’ll meet up again at the Borradori to say our farewells and head out.

For those who haven’t already done so, it’s definitely time to reserve a place to stay. With the closure of Highway 1 things are reportedly kind of slow, which may work to our advantage, but don’t wait until the last minute to find a place. The Cayucos Chamber of Commerce has a list of hotels on their website: http://www.cayucosbythesea.com/hotel.html. And there's always Airbnb. Morro Bay and Cambria are also options, but your best bet will be to find a place right in Cayucos since that will be the center of rally activity.

Camping is also a possibility for those who are interested. The Bella Vista RV Park is right in Cayucos near the Borradori Garage. You can camp there, and they have showers. It tends to fill up early so you’ll want to check on availability asap: (805) 995-3644. Other camping options are the Morro Strand State Park—it's in North Morro Bay, but it doesn't have showers—and Morro Bay State Park, which is a little further away, but does have showers, and some hook-ups if you have an RV.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

For those who haven't been to the Borradori Garage in Cayucos before, this is what you're looking for:

https://goo.gl/maps/Y2usXv4NRqR2

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or just follow any Type 3 you see.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Less than two months until the rally! Who's planning to be there this year?

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Yep, gonna be there Friday when the caravan from the south arrives (despite the slight of no fastback in the logo!).

TV news announced a year-long effort will build the new roadway on top of the big slide further up the coast -- no tunnel or slide removal.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Another amazing graphic Scott!

Everyone help us out, we could really use a good head count, or at least a better idea how many can make it, including riders.

We start (unofficially) on Thursday evening in Morro Bay /Cayucos for meet and greets, a drive on Friday with optional meeting spots as well, then the main drive on Saturday.

You can show up at anytime, it would help us to know in advance so we can plan appropriately.

Thanks! Tom

Da weiss man, was man hat!

68 Karmann Ghia Sunroof / auto T345
66 Standard Microbus T221
66 1200a Standard 115 with factory ragtop
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I'm getting excited - we have a great drive planned for Saturday with a fun twist as well. Took a spin up to Cayucos today:

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Ralliers! Only six weeks to go until the Type 3 Rally!

We need to get a better idea of who is actually going to attend in order to plan for the weekend, so we’ve set up a registration page. There’s no cost to register, and the information you provide will help us plan by letting us know how many people will be attending each day. That way we’ll be sure to have the resources on hand to make this a great VW weekend for everybody. Please go to this link to register:

https://type3rally.eventbrite.com

The form will ask you to register separately for Friday and Saturday, so if you’re planning on being there for both days of driving you’ll need to register for both. This will help us determine how many people and how many cars will be attending each day.

The form will also ask you to tell us the year and model of Type 3 you plan to bring. Every participating Type 3 will be issued a rally plate, and identifying your car in advance on the registration form will reserve a plate for your car. After all the registered cars get their rally plates the rest will be distributed first come first served, and when they’re gone they’re gone, so register now to reserve your plate!

Critter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I'm in, I'm registered, I got the time off work. Hell yes!!

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Glad to hear you'll be joining us!
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

If I end up with the 67 I've been looking at this weekend I might make it!
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

To plan our Friday arrival times, what are your expectations for when the Friday cruise would start?
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I'm working on that, but I think there will be three times to meet up.
For those who can be in Cayucos in the morning leave at 10:00
For those who can get there in time, leave from Santa Margarita for Pozo around 11:15 and for those who are a little latter, meet at Barrelhouse Brewing in Templeton around 2:30.

It's still work in progress, but I think it will look something like that.

reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Something like this!

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Only a month to go until the Type 3 Rally! If you're planning on going and haven't registered yet please go to this link and sign up:

https://type3rally.eventbrite.com

Thanks to everyone who has already registered!
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

Registered and Hotel booked! Looking forward to the weekend!
Thanks Tom and everyone else that is helping
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
reay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
To plan our Friday arrival times, what are your expectations for when the Friday cruise would start?

Okay - the temperatures this weekend has caused me to reconsider the Friday Route - and I think it's for the better! It can get really hot in the North County and I bet a lot of you could use a cooler cruise experience.

For the people that can make it up on Thursday or early Friday, the drive will start at the Borradori at 10:30.

The first leg of the cruise will be to Port San Luis (near Avila Beach). We will stick around there, get lunch, hang out, until around 1:00 to 1:30.
This is the spot to meet us if you are coming up (or down) in the morning.

Then we will head south through Pismo Beach, where you will get a chance to get really close to the ocean and cool off Twisted Evil

More details to come...

t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Type 3 Rally / Cayucos, CA / September 29-October 1 Reply with quote

I drove most of Tom's new route over the holiday weekend and it's going to be a really great drive with some cool surprises.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: