Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Just so you know, Seatbeltsplus is right up the road in Oceanside
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

What does your engine look like?
1. Fuel Injected
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/408842.jpg

Tim, I think it's safe to say that she has a stock FI bus since she said it passed California smog.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice bus and welcome to The Samba.. You should post a few engine photo's for some of the fuel injection guru's to look over.

I hope someone has replaced all the fuel lines with the correct rated fuel hose. I'm sure extinguisher links discussed this. Also, make sure you have a good fire extinguisher in the bus just in case. Wink

Lucky kid! Hopefully he'll be the next generation bus lover 20 years from now. I'd suggest a road trip to Julian for pie/ice cream and coffee.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hey Mel Thanks for asking this question - I just had the same thing happen in my 79 Campmobile (same beautiful green plaid!)

Not to overstep my bounds but...
On driving a manual. The bus is pretty easy when it comes to shifting, just remember not to shift too early.
First gear goes up to about 20-25, then shift down to second (straight back)
Shift up to third about 35, push the shifter towards the right back corner of your ashtray. I shift into fourth at 45-55. I will downshift back into fourth at 45, especially when going up hills.

The important thing on a stickshift is to practice finding the friction point with the clutch (push in the clutch with the engine running, then slowly let off until you feel the bus want to go, then push the clutch sown again). (A nice open parking lot is good for this)Then practice letting off the clutch gradually, while pushing the gas down gradually (don't race the engine, but don't make it chug (called lugging), at the friction point. Smooth is better than just dropping the clutch (letting your foot come right off).

You will love piloting your bus - more smiles to the mile, that's bus life! Be prepared to flash the peace sign!

I got really nice seatbelts from Seatbeltsplus.com I got green belts to go with the interior and retractable belts for the front seats - much better than the originals.
Thanks again for asking! Hope you learn to drive a stick soon!
Kent
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"

Last edited by cv66seabear on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Are you saying you intentionally leave the bolt that holds the passenger side reel down, loose?? Shocked

That seems like a terrible idea for several reasons. Vibrations from driving could cause the bolt to back out further. And/or that little bit of play could cause it to snap in a crash. Shocked Shocked

I have retractible seatbelts on my Bus and can turn the seat around with no problems. Perhaps you need to re-mount it rotated a little bit to clear the seat. Or you can get in the practice or rotating the seat a little, then slide it forward or back a little to clear the reel, then continue rotating it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Welcome and nice looking bus!
I noticed on your luggage rack that the seal is missing. You will eventually want to replace that seal, as when you get the bus out on the highway, you will have a bunch of air blowing up through there. This will effect handling, especially on a windy day.
This link is where the seal goes:
http://www.busdepot.com/231070732

This is the seal to get. With the bulb.
http://www.busdepot.com/lugseal2

Enjoy!
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Nice looking westy, have fun with your adventures Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Are you saying you intentionally leave the bolt that holds the passenger side reel down, loose?? Shocked

That seems like a terrible idea for several reasons. Vibrations from driving could cause the bolt to back out further. And/or that little bit of play could cause it to snap in a crash. Shocked Shocked

I have retractible seatbelts on my Bus and can turn the seat around with no problems. Perhaps you need to re-mount it rotated a little bit to clear the seat. Or you can get in the practice or rotating the seat a little, then slide it forward or back a little to clear the reel, then continue rotating it.

Thanks Dave, tightened down! You're right, by moving the seat there is enough clearance to swivel past the seat belt retractor. I deleted the loose bolt part on the other post.
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

cv66seabear wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Thanks Dave, tightened down! You're right, by moving the seat there is enough clearance to swivel past the seat belt retractor. I deleted the loose bolt part on the other post.
Kent

"Thank you!!"

-Your passengers

Very Happy

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Great score. There is a great community in San Diego for Busses here on the Samba.

You need to need to get in touch with this engine as a driver. The engine is a beautiful piece of machinery that needs a look over on each fuel stop, unlike a modern car. As a 40 year old piece of machinery, things will age and go wrong that VW didn't really think about too much, as we drive these cars 5x past their life cycles.

It's all here on the Samba though. What parts NOT to buy and where to go, and help when you need it.
Mell22B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Newest Issue!

So when husband try to pop the top, he can't. He tried a couple of times and had issues then was able to get it up on the next no issues. He tried tonight and again doesn't happen. When he pulls the knob, nothing seems to happen. Are we missing some small step? I have read that sometimes all the windows need to be down?

Thanks for everyone's help so far! Fuel lines have been replaced and definitely plan to reseal everything at some point. So much to do...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Take a look at the Owners manual link I provided you. The Pop top instructions are in there. If you are still experiencing problems let us know.
Good luck
Tcash
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Mell22B wrote:
Newest Issue!

So when husband try to pop the top, he can't. He tried a couple of times and had issues then was able to get it up on the next no issues. He tried tonight and again doesn't happen. When he pulls the knob, nothing seems to happen. Are we missing some small step? I have read that sometimes all the windows need to be down?

Thanks for everyone's help so far! Fuel lines have been replaced and definitely plan to reseal everything at some point. So much to do...

You need to be out of the garage.

Very Happy

Opening the windows helps on my T4, but there is also a secondary catch...I also once had a T2 with a user installed gate hasp inside.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

It doesn't just spring up all on it's own once the latch is pulled. It takes a fair bit of pushing to get it up.

Very Happy

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I've seen ads here for the top assist rams that take the fun out of it- also depends on whether any one has lubed the rods lately- My Riveria was hard to lift- but upon taking it apart, it had seized rollers and dry slide rails- much more complex system but you get the idea- shoot a little WD-40 for a test and if that helps, put some real grease up there

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

I've actually got a set of the heavy duty assist struts on my top, because I wanted to be able to open it with my canoe up there if needed.

Even with those and nothing on top, I still have to give it the initial push to get it to go up.

Agree on lubing things though.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

When I first got my 77 westy, the pop top latch in the inside had a broken part keeping it from releasing. I can't remember now but I think the bolt coming off the know was broken and had to be replace or it wouldn't disengage.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Yes- they can be real tough- I will confess to using a base ball bat -big end up- to push the top up- but that was before the "fixes" were in-- Seems for me -- getting to push from a lower position- I was able to apply better force to the assembly-its way easier for me (had a back operation) to push with my legs than my upper back- try it- you'll like it.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Mell22B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

He is definitely pushing till he is blue in the face. It's just that the latch doesn't seem to really pull at all.
Mell22B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So Cal Fam's New 1978 Westfalia Reply with quote

Here are pics of the lever, am I missing something on the bottom?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: