Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 457, 458, 459 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Continue my pre-eclipse punch list...

Yesterday: rotate tires, adjust rear brakes (hand brake had been loose for a while @ ~6-7 clicks... Embarassed ) & checked all shoes/pads

Today: all new Gates belts, new memory foam pad for guests in top bunk, temporary install of reflectix insulation for roof,
top off AC charge (it's gonna be a hot couple days on the road...) Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Tomorrow: drop tranny in preparation for "new" rebuilt arriving Friday; check CV's, new grease, bolts & Rockford boots all around... Cool

Weekend: install new tranny, new oil, new spare tire, temporary "window cling" sun shade all around, new fuel filter, etc, etc, etc...

I'll keep all y'all posted... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
big swifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Washed 2 years of dirt off the Doka today, fixed a head light that lost a adjuster & was flopping around, replaced the speedo & Gas gage lights in the dash pod, all this after getting the NEW TRANY !!! Put in Wednesday, it runs GREAT !!!!!!!! Dancing Dancing Dancing

Who rebuilt your tranny? Local?
[1991 Jetta coupe TD. Giles Superpump. Custom tall 5 speed. SOLD
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

replaced the starter, updated the aged and inadequate alternator to starter power wire.
sandpapered the contacting surfaces, light coat of Dielectric grease
got it all wrapped up as mosquitos were driving me in and callin for reinforcements. Embarassed

hit the key and Click/crunk.. click, click click..
didn't even get 1 full revolution.

$^$%^&&&%$#%TRT((*^$# Evil or Very Mad

have to remove, clean and replace the GND strap tomorrow..
for which I don't have any time.. as I'm preparing for our local VW show I am president over this weekend.. ^$#@$&^&^*& Twisted Evil

lets hope it's that and not the bushing I neglected to replace..
of course it's the bushing.. and the ground..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hot Glued my passenger sliding door screen back to its frame, and re-installed.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Yeah...I've done that...& it works great! Cool

Today dropped old tranny in preparation for "new" rebuild arriving tomorrow. No sense paying
to ship the oil with my core return, so I drained it & checked the plug, just for giggles:

Sick

FWIW, this is the result of 35k trouble-free miles since last drain (accounting for slight "fuzz" at the tip
o' the magnet) & a mere 500 miles limping home since the definitive symptoms of classic 3-4 slider
hub failure (certainly the source of the heavier chunky flakes at the bottom of the plug/sump)... Shocked

Glad I knew what the trouble finding 3rd & 4th gear meant...!!!

SAMBA! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

so I get back under to deal & clean the grounds..
well I hadn't tightened the +pos cable on the back of the starter..
Embarassed

danfromsyr wrote:
replaced the starter, updated the aged and inadequate alternator to starter power wire.
sandpapered the contacting surfaces, light coat of Dielectric grease
got it all wrapped up as mosquitos were driving me in and callin for reinforcements. Embarassed

hit the key and Click/crunk.. click, click click..
didn't even get 1 full revolution.

$^$%^&&&%$#%TRT((*^$# Evil or Very Mad

have to remove, clean and replace the GND strap tomorrow..
for which I don't have any time.. as I'm preparing for our local VW show I am president over this weekend.. ^$#@$&^&^*& Twisted Evil

lets hope it's that and not the bushing I neglected to replace..
of course it's the bushing.. and the ground..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
so I get back under to deal & clean the grounds..
Embarassed

Think Everybody has one of those days, once in a while. Glad it was as simple as that.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quote:

Darm mosquitos, sometimes they have an effect on our ability to finish a task. 😉
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Yeah...I've done that...& it works great! Cool

Indeed, your post confirming it was my inspiration!

dhaavers wrote:

Today dropped old tranny in preparation for "new" rebuild arriving tomorrow. No sense paying
to ship the oil with my core return, so I drained it & checked the plug, just for giggles:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1679026.jpg

- Dave

What a wild looking construction on that magnet! Way 'out-there' Glad you got home!
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well after several years of tinkering and doing the required maintenance on my 1982 aaz upgrade. I thought Id give the key a quick check in the ignition figuring Id have to bleed the fuel and fuss with the engine to run. So first crank no fiddling and she is purring like a kitten. Now I can sort out the throttle linkage arm issue going from a 1.6 diesel to the power packed 1.9 AAZ engine. Im probably going to fab one up as the Brickwerks in the UK wont sell to us in the US.
Urmyboyblue25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cleaned up some rust with a wire brush then pinted over wit primer before the snow hits and makes it worse. still have a lot to do to the motor probably going to need a full rebuild. guy I got it from said it was seized and that was 10+ years ago but it turn over just fine. going to pick up a battery soon. cheers!
1985 VW Vanagon Westfalia 2WD.

figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I am debating about laying down a $100 and getting the front window screens...

Have you seen the ones sold by Abel Longoria? They seem to be sold out now, I wonder if he will restock. I like that set up.

http://store.texasvanagons.com/product/texasvanagons-bug-screen-large

http://store.texasvanagons.com/product/texasvanagons-bug-screen-small

I have the same skylight screen in grey and I like it a lot regardless of the warping (actually, it's more sagging than warping)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

working on the Red van, can't ever figure out why they didn't at least offer the option of front swivels, and westy style curtains in non-westys.
installed a front passenger seat swivel
installed snaps and 91 front westy curtain
changed the oil, and shimmed the relief valve. lets see how it is now on 10w40.
replaced the rear brake flex hoses, suspect they may be failing and on occasion dragging a brake here/there.
swapped out the Temp gauge sender.. some OP put 2 blue senders in, so the dash gauge has been reading only on the bottom, will see how that is tomorrow when we fire it back up.
installed a LED voltage readout in the face of the black box in the engine compartment.

still too much to do but we'll have to roll as it is tomorrow..
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It was a busy day for me.

1) Fixed the battery door. It was hanging on only by a scrap of carpet. I straightened it out and riveted it back in place. I also cut it shorter to clear the swivel seat I installed recently.

2) I added the V-channel over the front doors for the camper style headliner. This was a passenger van not long ago.

3) I started a Dynomat install. I have it installed in the sliding door and under the drivers seat so far.

4) I installed a new Kenwood head unit and JL 4-channel amp. The amp is under the drivers seat.

5) I installed some Jack Bombay poptop struts.

6) I installed some GoWesty window cranks that broke off in my hand on the first use. I took them back off. Real pieces of crap.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove it!
Tom
87 Syncro GL
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fitted Beauty rings and new non-bleeding replacement digital clock! Very Happy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I love VanCafe!!
Ordered online about noon on the 22nd
Box placed in my hands here in NJ at 2:37 on the 24th!
Yummy oatmeal raisin cookie too!

Oil filters, sliding door bump, TPS shaft clip and new oil pressure spring.

👍

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randolph57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

'stretch all the rubber cabinet mouldings to negate the large gap that has appeared over the last27 years. a little heat manipulation from my paint strip gun and bingo! Did all the other non cabinet rubbers too Very Happy
jokeraus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Began the installation of an in floor storage container beneath the sliding door. My poor van is really stacking up bits of removed sheetmetal floor sections Cool

szegedin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

"Blackout" curtains from Wal-Mart. Best $12 I've spent on the van in a while. They don't call them blackout for nothin'. Huge improvement over previous curtains.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 457, 458, 459 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 458 of 631

Jump to: